~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e218b9e4f405173f5dc7f22e0b114be3.jpg

Three hour ride home from the mountains today

Hard to tell from the photo but all those other vehicles trying to climb that hill or spinning in going nowhere

As I head off to bed, until midnight, it is currently -3 with a wind chill of -20. This blows

The front is finally supposed to hit us tomorrow...we'll be down to 54 for a high temp, 34 for the low. Might even have a few flurries tomorrow night. Schools will be closed Tuesday; I'm sure. [emoji301]️

The front is finally supposed to hit us tomorrow...we'll be down to 54 for a high temp, 34 for the low. Might even have a few flurries tomorrow night. Schools will be closed Tuesday; I'm sure. [emoji301]️
:redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Suspect I will be headed home by 3:30 or so today to avoid the shitstorm that is I-485 southbound in any kind of inclement weather.

People are absolutely losing their fucking minds down here over 5 to 9 inches of snow. It's the first significant winter storm of the year, and you'd think the apocalypse is upon us. There are 4 people in the office today (out of 19), and everybody is treating it like its expected for work to completely stop when its snowing outside. I read a Facebook post last night where grocery stores were completely out of milk, including all fat contents. I feel like Walter Sobchak..."Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules?"

I leave early to beat all the assholes on the road, but thanks to the wonders of cell phone communication and VPN, I'm far from "done with work for the day."

actually there are far more pirates in this world than 17, so your misinformed.
state your sources please. :)
+1 And Johnny Depp doesn't count.

I am so totally using Wikipedia because I'm busy at work today.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia

According to another source, there were 151 attacks on ships in 2011, compared with 127 in 2010 – but only 25 successful hijacks compared to 47 in 2010. Pirates had held 10 vessels and 159 hostages in February 2012. In 2011, pirates earned $146m, an average of $4.87 million per ship. An estimated 3,000 to 5,000 pirates operated; by February 2012 1,000 had been captured and were going through legal processes in 21 countries

Don't get me wrong...there is a lot of snow out there. It is dangerous to drive, and schools and some businesses should be closed to prevent people from being on the road. BUT, I still don't understand the hoarding of groceries. At most, it will take 2 days to clear the snow of the major roads, and by Thursday, driving should be back to normal. Why do people feel the need to make a mad dash for bread and milk when it snows? Do these people typically grocery shop every day such that it would seriously cramp their style to not be able to buy food for 2 days?

Don't get me wrong...there is a lot of snow out there. It is dangerous to drive, and schools and some businesses should be closed to prevent people from being on the road. BUT, I still don't understand the hoarding of groceries. At most, it will take 2 days to clear the snow of the major roads, and by Thursday, driving should be back to normal. Why do people feel the need to make a mad dash for bread and milk when it snows? Do these people typically grocery shop every day such that it would seriously cramp their style to not be able to buy food for 2 days?

No clue, we shop weekly or bi-weekly, so I never feel the need to buy milk, but I remember growing up Dad would, but we drank a lot of milk as kids.

Maybe the cold causes an increase in people craving french toast?

UI usually make sure I hit the beer store (and gas for the snow thrower) if I'm going to be trapped and moving a lot of snow.

Back