~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13" of snow in my driveway so far and we're supposed to get another 6" overnight. Just got back from the store and no major calamities, just a couple cars stuck in the the street. It's really light and fluffy snow, so shouldn't be too much of a problem to clean up.
It's drifting a lot here. Other than the snow blower ingesting the newspaper, no real problems. I was impressed. It threw a bunch of paper shreds down the street before it jammed.
About the same conditions here. I like how the East coast made national news on "so much snow" and the mid-west gets more than that with no recognition. LOL
Cause the midwest is not populated.
NYC- 8.406 Million People in 469 sq miles vs The entire state of Wisconson- 5.743 million in 65,556 square miles. There is more places to put the snow in the mid-west that doesn't impact people.

I was also informed on this morning's news just how much snow the mid-west got, so you made national news... that is not "no recognition".

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a stat that said if Long Island was as densely populated as Alaska, there would only be 24 people there.

we got another dusting overnight, but thats it. super cold today then back up to 40s tomorrow...gotta love temperature swings.

About the same conditions here. I like how the East coast made national news on "so much snow" and the mid-west gets more than that with no recognition. LOL

Huffington post seems to have gotten it right: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/02/midwest-blizzard-2015-photos_n_6596072.html

Midwest Smacked By Historic Snowfall, Basically Shrugs It Off

Now this is what a blizzard really looks like.

Less than a week after meteorologists botched their forecast of a blizzard that was anticipated to hit New York City with “historic” snowfall, causing the city to preemptively shut down, another winter storm slammed into the Midwest on Sunday. It brought actual historic amounts of snowfall with considerably less hype.

In Detroit, 16.7 inches of snow were recorded at Metro Airport, making for the city’s third biggest snowstorm on record. In Plymouth, Indiana, in the far northern part of the state, 19.6 inches of snowfall was reported during the storm.

And in Chicago, 19.3 inches of snow fell Sunday into Monday morning, making for the city’s fifth largest blizzard in its recorded history.

Unlike what happened in New York, Chicago's public transit system remained operational (though with some delays), no travel bans were put into effect and, as far as we know, no kale shortages were reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
We bothered, during one of the last big storms, to clear many people's sidewalks with our snow blower.

Yesterday, one of those neighbors was kind enough to edge up next to me on my bike ride home and rev his engine, apparently not recognizing that I live across from him. I followed him all the way to his house and he hid in his truck.

Next snow storm, I'm using my snow blower to bury the motherf*cker.

he was checking you out and making a pass at you.

Before you mid-westerners start bashing the easties, Boston got ~ 2ft out of that storm and it was one of the largest on record. we just got another 14 inches+ yesterday. I'm at work today.

& we got like 2-3 inches Saturday night, it froze Sunday night, east of Denver was a F'n ice skating rink- it took me 2 hours to go around 15 miles.

I was ultra pissed cause I was "summoned" to a Monday morning meeting and then after driving around all that for over 2 hours to get to the meeting on time, then have it cancelled once I get to the project office cause no one else could make it there (& I am the fucking guy from the South!)

We got 48" within 10 days. Now have ice dams at the rental property. Got to go back there tonight. My spirit is nearly broken. Where did I put that camp fuel?

f_ots_groundhog_bite4_150202.jpg

55+ degrees right now, up to an inch of snow forecast overnight. Things must be gonna change a lot in the next 5 or so hours.

Back