The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We switched out our training plan to a three-day a week run plan and I swear it's about the same as when we were doing a five-day a week run plan. The other days are cross training and I push harder in that than I do on "junk" mile days. 

So here is what I am and what have been doing the last 4 weeks:

M-F: "Crossfit"

Sat: Sled Pulls, Sled Pushes, 500 DU's, 400 M intervals, etc, other BS (not all together)

Sun: Run = Last Sunday's run + 0.5 miles

So I started a month ago with a 4 mile run on Sunday, adding .5 miles to that every Sunday, did 6 yesterday. It feels like its going to work, yesterday I could have defin done 8. I will slip in at least one or two  20 miler in this, but I am mainly just looking to finish around 4.5 hours - get my t-shirt and Leadville coffee mug and call it my last marathon..

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a 10k yesterday, 2nd worst 10k time ever. My hip started to ache 4mi in - last Monday, my LMT took his elbow to my hip since I was very sunk into that hip and I think skiing this weekend annoyed it since I felt fine until 4mi in lol. 

My calves are also tight AF - I did some rolling last night using both my R8 & triggerpin rollers. 

But my running is coming back, especailly if I can keep the hip ok.

Found a good neighborhood to run with my dog in. I have to drive there. But it's over by a park so there's light/no traffic through the neighborhood and the roads are clear from snow/ice. So Until our area is clearer and I'm comfortable crossing the v busy road with her, this other neighborhood will do! Plus there's other dogs nearby and they occasionally bark so we can work through that with her.

I signed up for a treadmill marathon relay too lol 

that was me acknowledging / making fun of it ;)

I will refer to it as "the activity that led me to lose 42 lbs in 2019"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a huge fan of running with stuff in my hands, especially during the winter. But I do like the knucklelights {https://www.amazon.com/Knuckle-Lights-FBA_5793204-Silver/dp/B00847KVLY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=10QA9I2R1HWEI&dchild=1&keywords=knuckle+lights&qid=1580214353&sprefix=knuckl%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-5}

They eat battery like whoa tho
I didn't at first, but got used to it pretty quickly. The Zephyr/Zephyr Fire are very stable and secure in my hand, and also quite comfortable, due to the way the straps are designed. Sometimes I run with that and a water bottle, one in each hand, because I haven't invested properly in a hydration pack nor belt (though I'd be more interested in a pack vs a belt anyway... Small waist and wider hips don't play well with belts for me).

I didn't at first, but got used to it pretty quickly. The Zephyr/Zephyr Fire are very stable and secure in my hand, and also quite comfortable, due to the way the straps are designed. Sometimes I run with that and a water bottle, one in each hand, because I haven't invested properly in a hydration pack nor belt (though I'd be more interested in a pack vs a belt anyway... Small waist and wider hips don't play well with belts for me).
I tried a belt once. Nope. I don't even like bib belts. So the waist leash I have for Moo will be "fun".

I'm team hydration pack. Except for my marathon. It was a handheld & the bib belt (it has a small zipper pouch). Because Boston doesn't allow for hydration packs. Except there are still folks who run with them. 

Welp, the deed is done.  I'm becoming less and less "athletic" as the days go by and basic bands and occasional plyo haven't cut it since I was in my mid-30's.  My wife and I went out and got me some new kicks - Brooks Adrenaline.  I plan on my transition to running in the near future.  Lord, have mercy on my knees!

110307_456_m_WR.jpg

The pair I tried on felt sooooooooooo good, but they were black on black.  Wife called them the Darth Vader shoes and said they look like orthopedic shoes.  Had to order the ones I wanted.  Don't know when they'll be in, but I'm cautiously optimistic on trimming down.

🤞

Welp, the deed is done.  I'm becoming less and less "athletic" as the days go by and basic bands and occasional plyo haven't cut it since I was in my mid-30's.  My wife and I went out and got me some new kicks - Brooks Adrenaline.  I plan on my transition to running in the near future.  Lord, have mercy on my knees!

*pic snip*

The pair I tried on felt sooooooooooo good, but they were black on black.  Wife called them the Darth Vader shoes and said they look like orthopedic shoes.  Had to order the ones I wanted.  Don't know when they'll be in, but I'm cautiously optimistic on trimming down.

🤞
YOU CAN DO IT.

I mean, I recently decided I was doing a 5k (I've never run before) and when I mentioned a half marathon to my instructor he was like, "You can do it.  But you're going to need to train for it and not half-ass it".  Which, ooooooooooo, don't know now, but being healthy/trimming down is my main goal!

those take some getting used to but I think they are definitely good if you are running on a lot of pavement.

After running a decent amount in January I didnt run one single day in February, I think it snowed every day here - Got to get back at if I am going to make it through Leadville this June.

I want to get this leadville marathon done and then I think I am going to be done with running, too time consuming - give me 20 minutes of burpees and some kettle bell swings and lets call it a day!

my right leg has become a thing again as i ramp up training. it's really hard to work through it, again. thankfully my coach is also my physical therapist lol

but I deeply question my ability to do my half at the end of the month. I ran 7mi on 2/29. and that's been my longest run since january (where I hit like 8.5). >_<

it's hard to "go out & have fun" when you want to saw your leg off on a 3.5mi run that's mostly flat & on packed dirt. (true story) 

My knees are better.  Been running 3mi, 3 days a week.   Pushed it a little today and did a 7:09 pace today, pretty psyched about that. 

those take some getting used to but I think they are definitely good if you are running on a lot of pavement.

After running a decent amount in January I didnt run one single day in February, I think it snowed every day here - Got to get back at if I am going to make it through Leadville this June.

I want to get this leadville marathon done and then I think I am going to be done with running, too time consuming - give me 20 minutes of burpees and some kettle bell swings and lets call it a day!
It snowed every weekday. I call BS on the weekends. 

This message brought to you by csb, who's half training schedule started on February 2, and the f-ing treadmill. 

Latest posts

Back