The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using the built in Apple app because just lazy to find another one.   Seems okay. 
First time out I tried the RunKeeper app on my watch and it seemed to work alright, but when I looked online, it didn't have the charts for pace or elevation like the ones I did with my iPhone.  Not sure if it's a setting somewhere or what.  Second one I used the built-in Apple Workout app and it looked pretty good.  I got a HealthFit app that'll automatically sync my run to Strava from the Workout app so I can see how I did online.  That's about the only thing I use Strava for so they'll get no $$$ from me.  I would probably sync the runs to RunKeeper instead but it won't import from the app...you have to export it as a file and then import it to RK.

Washing down tonight’s run with a beer.  Did 5k in about 23.  Lungs haven’t caught up to leg strength yet so sucking wind on the hills. 

Lungs haven’t caught up to leg strength yet so sucking wind on the hills. 
Wish I could say the same.  The route I usually take has a big hill.  I know it makes for a better workout, but man I hate that hill.

Years ago, I read an article in Runner's World about being out of breath and side stitches.  The contention is that you can't breathe deep enough to get enough oxygen because your lungs can only go so far before they hit bone.  They talked about breathing from your belly so your diaphragm can work better.  Helped me quite a bit...I was getting awful side stitches.  In the past Runner's World blurs it out without a subscription but it was working this morning so I grabbed it while I could.

View attachment Breathing Tips for New Runners _ Runner's World.pdf

Wish I could say the same.  The route I usually take has a big hill.  I know it makes for a better workout, but man I hate that hill.

Years ago, I read an article in Runner's World about being out of breath and side stitches.  The contention is that you can't breathe deep enough to get enough oxygen because your lungs can only go so far before they hit bone.  They talked about breathing from your belly so your diaphragm can work better.  Helped me quite a bit...I was getting awful side stitches.  In the past Runner's World blurs it out without a subscription but it was working this morning so I grabbed it while I could.

Breathing Tips for New Runners _ Runner's World.pdf 358.13 kB · 2 downloads
Thanks for the article.  I live near the top of a hill so I can’t avoid them if I start from the house.  Trying to get back into running after my skiing injury a few years ago.   Knee okay now but I’ve lost a lot of endurance. Leg strength is coming back.   Bad diet and beer doesn’t help - but I like my carbs.  

We’re in the same situation here...no matter which route I take there are some good sized hills. Only other option would be to run the same loop in our little neighborhood 10 times which would be worse than running hills.

Woohoo! Lunch run 15 (business) days in a row! Need new shoes though, mine are from 2014. I was still in grad school.

Got roped into doing the Shamrockin' half marathon here in Sacramento in March. Anyone else want to join? Already going with 2 coworkers and a college fren. Should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they’re worn in, are they still new?
Haha, they are not new in box, but are certainly new compared to shoes that have hundreds of miles in them.

It usually takes only a few runs of 3-5 miles in length for me to wear in a new pair of my go-to running shoes (Brooks PureCadence).

Which I just found out are apparently getting or maybe already are discontinued!  :eek:ldman:
Fffffffudge. Maybe pick up a couple pairs. Ask Santa?

Also, come do the Shamrockin' run! You get a free beer at the end.

Edit: Oh and another engineer friend is doing it with me and we'll have mimosas (probably).

Last edited by a moderator:
The shoes I'm rotating through right now are about 5 years old.  Both pairs are also brand new...I had gotten them to replace worn shoes back in the day but I never started using them so they went in the closet.  I've got a pair of Hoka One One Clifton 1's (they're up to the Clifton 6 now) and a pair of Brooks PureFlow 2's (those are up to the PF 7's).

I can only run in Hoka's on hard surfaces now, and they are great, but it seems like once they are "done" they are done,I seem to go from running on mattresses  to shin splits quick if I dont keep track of my mileage on them.

I can only run in Hoka's on hard surfaces now, and they are great, but it seems like once they are "done" they are done,I seem to go from running on mattresses  to shin splits quick if I dont keep track of my mileage on them.
Thanks for the data point RG! I was/am interested in those since I've had double knee surgeries and I have hardly any meniscus left.

I’m still not sure about the Hokas, but I’ve got less than 10 miles on them. They’ve got the typical Hoka cushion but somehow are still ridiculously light. I’m kicking around the idea of doing a longer run on Saturday at the regional airport down the road where it’s flat and try them there.

A little disappointing. When I was looking to see what version of the PureFlow they’re up to, it sounds like the whole Pure line might be going away. Hopefully they’ll be replacing it with something similar. 

Back