The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me a while to adjust to them, it made me feel like I was being launched forward when I first starting running in them, but for my "Clydesdale" running body I haven't found any competitors - But I cannot wear them while walking - I feel like I am wearing my grandma's orthopedics!

I run exclusively in Topos.

I started in Adidas & Nike (🤮). Then Asics gt3000 (super stability) then Saucony Guides. But my feet were squished and my bunion ish hurt.

I cant do 0drop all the time so no Altra. But Topo checks all of the boxes.

Hey running peoples!

I wanted to give you kids a heads up that there will be some good discounts for Ragnar Trail, Road, black loop, sunrise, and sprint races next week if you're thinking about registering for one. I can share any or all of them (though I'm sure they'll be publicised when they come out) if anyone's interested.

@squaretaper PE, I'm looking at you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like going out and overdoing it. I went down to Lunken Airport this morning...flat 5 mile loop...and ended up running 4 miles...walked 0.75 miles to warm up and 0.25 to cool down. I made it up to week 7 of couch-2-5k which is a 25 minute run so my runs during the week have gotten up to 2.5 miles but morning runs have some pretty good hills.

The Hokas were a little better on my run this morning, but I’ve not done a long flat run in my PureFlows to compare yet. I’m wondering if the Hokas don’t feel as good on hilly runs because you’re fighting the cushioning on uphill runs.

I've been doing the treadmill classes, they really aren't that bad. It's been a nice way to ease myself back into running and a routine without freezing my ass off.

I used to wear custom orthotics and I tossed out many of the insoles in my sneakers (since I had a few pairs in rotation). 

My new PT (who is also the owner of the run studio) got me out of my orthotics pretty quickly (they were literally not making a difference in my running)

I forgot to check my shoes for class this morning. Got to the studio and had no insoles. She gave me the insoles from her Hokas (I run in Topos) and she tossed on another pair of sneakers lol 

I am sidelined for a bit.  Pretty sure it's my meniscus again.  Last time it felt like this, I ended up in the OR getting it cleaned out.  Did some research and it sounds like it may actually be better to just rest it and let the swelling go down because that's what actually causes the pain.  Knee feels a lot better this morning so I might give a short run a try tomorrow, but I might go to my super cushioned Hokas full time instead of switching between those and my Brooks.

@LyceeFruit PE, you're the resident Topo runner, have you used the Topo MTN Racer? Looks solid, and I like that it's the Vibram sole throughout.
I havent, I don't trail run much. I can see what my fellow ambassadors say. But thats one shoe of theirs I'd def try on in person - some people report its short (same with the Flilyte 3s, I had to go up a half size)

I'm pretty sure my headlamp I use for running is toast so I'm looking to replace it.

I'm fairly certain I have the BD Spot or BD Cosmo. 

I'm leaning towards Cosmo since I recall spending about 20$ for it. 

What do you guys use? those who run in the dark?

@civilrobot

I'm pretty sure my headlamp I use for running is toast so I'm looking to replace it.

I'm fairly certain I have the BD Spot or BD Cosmo. 

I'm leaning towards Cosmo since I recall spending about 20$ for it. 

What do you guys use? those who run in the dark?

@civilrobot
hi! I don't know the brand that I use. I know it has a multi-strobe capability that I love. When I'm out before sunrise, I use the most obnoxious strobe when I'm running on the road. If I'm on a trail, and I genuinely just need to see, I use the high beam. 

I'll take a look when I get home. I've had it for years.

What are some of your thoughts on the custom made insoles you can get at the independent running stores?  I have high arches and would like to try them but at $80 bucks I thought I would see if anyone has given them a try.  

What are some of your thoughts on the custom made insoles you can get at the independent running stores?  I have high arches and would like to try them but at $80 bucks I thought I would see if anyone has given them a try.  
You can try the Superfeet ones - they're like 40$ but why do you think you need them?

I had custom orthotics made for me a medical professional and I had to wear them daily for awhile plus when I ran and then it transitioned to just when I ran. But I had a DPT evaluate my gait, she had me run with and without the orthotics and discovered that they orthotics were not doing a thing for me. An orthopedic doc who specializes in foot & ankle pain said it'd be the thing to help me run pain free. And it wasn't, not really. (I'm only mentioning this since mine were more than 80$ but not nearly as much money as I've heard other friends pay)

It's like 14F here with a real feel of -5F. And basically my favorite running weather (not sarcasm, i do like winter running). Fecking wind cut my run way short. Sustained wind of 15-25mph with 35mph gusts. And with the gusts, I wasn't able to see so whomp. 

i'm running but i'm struggling mentally with the comparison game. i'm not comparing myself to the other runners around me (which is good). i'm comparing me now to 22yo me to 25yo me. and 30yo me doesn't move the same way as the old mes. but it's hard not to compare my times/speed and even the way running used to feel (less painful and easier) to old me. it's not as much fun now as it used to be as I work through injury and returning to activity post-PE. (seriously, my October 2019 miles: 6.8mi...) 

ramble ramble 

Well I am an old man (46) so I defin dont compare my running to my 20's!

Do you mostly just run or do you do some other cross training (weights, sled pushes, box jumps, etc) also? 

I am running a trail marathon in June and have been working with a guy who finished the Leadville 100 miler https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville_Trail_100 last year on a plan to basically keep my gym workout days at 3-4 and only run 2 X a week.  Supposed to be better in terms of less injuries for us "masters athletes" ;)   We shall find out in June!

I lift, cycle, walk, and hike as my crosstraining. 

I had a PT change my running gait abruptly almost 5.5 years ago and it set off a chain reaction of pain throughout my entire right leg. Because my body had been compensating. So I'm still working thru that nonsense plus I broke my left leg in that ordeal too. 

If I want to function, I have to lift. It's a fact of my life now. Which is fine, I like lifting. But we've had to fix movement patterns so it's a process LOL 

i'm running but i'm struggling mentally with the comparison game. i'm not comparing myself to the other runners around me (which is good). i'm comparing me now to 22yo me to 25yo me. and 30yo me doesn't move the same way as the old mes. but it's hard not to compare my times/speed and even the way running used to feel (less painful and easier) to old me. it's not as much fun now as it used to be as I work through injury and returning to activity post-PE. (seriously, my October 2019 miles: 6.8mi...) 

ramble ramble 
yeah I know that game. it's important to identify a new goal. 

running me now is no where near the running me from 10 years ago. my goal is to finish the distance. when I run in races, my goal is to finish safely and challenge myself with new challenges. 

Back