The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have this bad boy and take it with me as a backup on all backpacking / 14'er trips because its solar powered - It doesn't have the cool features of "todays" watches, but its great at telling you when the barometric pressure is dropping!  I think I paid around $300 for it 10 years ago.

It would be cool if the "smart watches" of today could incorporate the "never have to charge" feature of these..

P23493165.jpg

I was wondering that the other day...the watch my wife got me for Christmas never needs wound or a battery.  It's one of those things that "winds itself" as you move it.  Guessing either a GPS/smartwatch/mp3 player requires more juice than that could provide or the apparatus that does the generating would take up too much real estate.

I wish our box had heat!..nothing worse than a cold box!

yeah - 1 mile run, with some BS in the "box" and then another 1 mile run - that run that goes out east of the building is where I usually run into the grass and fall down. But they are working on the road and instead of an out and back we have to do 4- 400's which suck worse IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I WANT TO RUN 😭

I feel so guilty and exhausted from studying. And I KNOW that running or intentional walks will help. But when I'm "off" from studying, I want to just be. 9 days. And in 11 days I have a 10k >_<

My hope is to sneak in a 3mi run tonight before the nor'easter and get a 4.5 in soon. My 10k ain't gonna be pretty but I'll keep moving forward! 

Long story short, my Apple Watch should be showing up today.  Now I just need to decide what app I'm going to use, i.e. Runkeeper, Strava, the built-in Apple workout, etc.  Up to now, I've been using the Runkeeper app on my iPhone and importing the data to Strava, but I know the Apple Watch versions are a little different.

My wife started back to work at a previous place that has her on the road quite a bit.  Last time she worked there she said something about getting an Apple Watch to stay connected with everyone at home.  After she started working there again, I thought an Apple Watch would be a good Christmas present.  We were out the other day and she ended up getting one herself at Best Buy so my Apple Watch purchase got moved up a bit.

Been using the built in Apple app because just lazy to find another one.   Seems okay. 

I don't see the point of paying for strava - other than the "social media" aspect of it?

If you have Garmin Connect, there's no reason to pay for Strava Summit. 
I do have Garmin Connect, but I enjoy using the free version of Strava anyway, and liked it before I had Garmin Connect also.

I'm going to my first ever treadmill class on Friday. It's like spin but with treadmills.

And I'm going to go for a run tonight or tomorrow morning. Probably tomorrow morning since I'm so full from sushi right now that thinking about running is making me ill. 

These are the glorious Woodway treads. I got to use one my first round of PT here in Maine. And they're amazing. 

I do have Garmin Connect, but I enjoy using the free version of Strava anyway, and liked it before I had Garmin Connect also.
Oh, I use Strava as well. I was commenting to the paid version of Strava- most of those analytics are included in Garmin Connect already. I use Strava mostly for the social aspect. 

And there's no way I could do treadmill spin. 

Oh, I use Strava as well. I was commenting to the paid version of Strava- most of those analytics are included in Garmin Connect already. I use Strava mostly for the social aspect. 

And there's no way I could do treadmill spin. 
Well I'm doing at least 6 classes of it lol

My PT opened the studio so I got one class free and the other 5 wicked cheap. Once I get through these, I probably won't do it again. But may do the drop-in treadmill time so I don't need to get a gym membership

I'm picturing treadmill spin as just riding a regular bike on a treadmill while getting yelled at to step it up

Back