--**-- The Infirmary --**--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, feel terrible for Mrs. Supe.  She was even worse yesterday, congested to the max, which was leading to really bad coughing spasms.  Woke me up coughing, and I was thinking "how close to 4:45 is it, should I just get up for work?"  Wasn't even midnight yet when I checked my phone...

So, ended up making a very late run to CVS for some "we can just barely sell this OTC" Nyquil and a myriad of other shit.  Thankfully she responds really well to it, because she was out like a light in about 5 minutes, and I could hear her breathing and not coughing.  I woke up with a pretty sore throat from some residual nasal drip it seems, but now that i'm moving around and had a couple of (not CAB) drinks, I'm feeling better, but have some backup Sudafed just in case.  

I think that is the bug that is going around Supe.

When you get home, two fist some NyQuil and a CAB and you'll feel better in the morning.

Yep, seems everyone on the damned east coast has it.  Even my sister who teaches in the DC area was telling me that the entire school was sick.  If I could bring my bottle of Balvenie Carribbean Cask to work, I would...

On second thought, I'd do that even if I wasn't sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprained my knee skiing this morning.  Hoping it isn't something more than that.   Real bummed.  I had been running 3 days a week to get ready for ski season.  Feels like this will be at least a month.  

Three weeks ago, my elbow hurt so bad overnight that I couldn't sleep.  I hadn't done anything to it (stressed it, bashed it on something, etc.), so I figured it was gout.  I took a fistful of NSAIDs and laid off beer and meat for a few days.  A week goes by, and its getting worse instead of better, so I go to the doc.  They prescribe me steroidal anti-inflammatories and do blood work.  The steroids don't help at all, and on Monday when the blood work comes in, they confirm that my Uric Acid is high and prescribe me a special drug just for acute gout flareups.  That drug didn't do anything.  So, now I'm at 3 weeks of excruciating pain in my elbow such that my muscles are atrophying because I can't use my left arm for anything.  I'm really at a loss of what to do.  I'm thinking about heading to an urgent care center for a second opinion (my doctor's office is so slammed, it always takes a few days to get an appointment for anything). 

P-E sorry to hear it.  I hope it feels better soon.

Will:  that doesn't sound good.  I've had gout before.  It typically affects my big toe joint first and the drugs they prescribed worked wonders. The freaking pain sucks.  I hope they get it resolved for you.  I'd think your doctor should prioritize you on his schedule as his prescribed treatment isn't working.  Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three weeks ago, my elbow hurt so bad overnight that I couldn't sleep.  I hadn't done anything to it (stressed it, bashed it on something, etc.), so I figured it was gout.  I took a fistful of NSAIDs and laid off beer and meat for a few days.  A week goes by, and its getting worse instead of better, so I go to the doc.  They prescribe me steroidal anti-inflammatories and do blood work.  The steroids don't help at all, and on Monday when the blood work comes in, they confirm that my Uric Acid is high and prescribe me a special drug just for acute gout flareups.  That drug didn't do anything.  So, now I'm at 3 weeks of excruciating pain in my elbow such that my muscles are atrophying because I can't use my left arm for anything.  I'm really at a loss of what to do.  I'm thinking about heading to an urgent care center for a second opinion (my doctor's office is so slammed, it always takes a few days to get an appointment for anything). 
yikes. have you heard of zocdoc? you might be able to find a non urgent care physician to get a second opinion. you can put your insurance information in and find appointment timeslots for doctors in your area. i love it because I don't have to call anyone to make the appointment. I also have had great urgent care success out here. 

@Dleg, didn't someone recommend something for you to take on here a while back for joint discomfort? IIRC, it was some type of supplement. 

Went do a different doc today and got a different diagnosis.  He says it is bursitis.  He prescribed me a different anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic in case the bursa is infected.  He also told me that even if it was gout, I should have been on this anti-inflammatory (works well on both gout and bursitis), the steroidal anti-inflammatory I was given first should have been the 3rd option, and I wasn't prescribed a large enough dose of the second drug I was given for it to be effective on gout.  Essentially, the original doctor misdiagnosed me, and screwed up 2 straight prescriptions even if their diagnosis was correct.  Don't think I'll be going back there again.  Here's to hoping the new drugs work.

Thanks for the well-wishes.  After 2 doses (basically overnight the day of the new drugs), my elbow got infinitely better.  I was able to play a round to golf today, relatively pain free.  I still have a slightly reduced range of motion on that elbow, and there is some residual aching, but the pain is mostly handled.  I sure do wish I'd gone to the second doctor first and saved myself a week of excruciating pain.

I called in to work for the first time in recent memory today. I managed to catch the flu around Wednesday of last week, and I’ve been barely conscious for the last 3 days. I’m feeling a little better today, but not well enough to work. Plus, I’m probably contagious as hell. 

This years flu sux.  I assume that's what I had when I was completely wiped out.  I lived on NyQuil and DayQuil for about a week.  I'm still not convinced it ever completely went away or maybe the bug started again.  At least I'm not down for the count anymore.

I haven't actually been properly diagnosed, but my symptoms match perfectly with the WebMD description of flu symptoms.  They also say that the flu typically floors you for 3-4 days, then you are weak and "not right" for 7-10 days.  I think I'm though the part where I can't function, so I guess that's good.  I still feel very unwell, though.  The online doctor also says you are contagious for 24 hours after the fever breaks.  I think the fever broke sometime this afternoon.  I've already called off work tomorrow to either make sure the fever is broken or give it the full 24 hours so I don't spread this shit.  I don't like some of my co-workers, but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. 

Given that the flu test is a)inconclusive, and b) agonizingly awful, I'd say you're better off not being diagnosed.

Back