The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up the book this week. The shear amount of fennel is disappointing. I cant stand fennel. Im happy that i didnt pay for this book. Im going to copy 15 of the recipes and will probably make like 4.
Too much fennel? I've made several things from this cookbook, and have not purchased anything fennel... You're talking about Nothing Fancy, right?

Too much fennel? I've made several things from this cookbook, and have not purchased anything fennel... You're talking about Nothing Fancy, right?
yeah, it calls for fennel or fennel seed and that's a big no for me

I picked up the book this week. The shear amount of fennel is disappointing. I cant stand fennel. Im happy that i didnt pay for this book. Im going to copy 15 of the recipes and will probably make like 4.
Now that you said that I'm going to pour through the one I borrowed and haven't had time to look through.  I like fennel...but only if it's cooked a particular way.  I hate licorice, so fennel usually is a turnoff.  

Now that you said that I'm going to pour through the one I borrowed and haven't had time to look through.  I like fennel...but only if it's cooked a particular way.  I hate licorice, so fennel usually is a turnoff.  
exactly, i can't stand black licorice so fennel & anise are deal breakers

I hate licorice, but I think the best sausage is heavy on fennel and caraway seeds.

I hate licorice, but I think the best sausage is heavy on fennel and caraway seeds.
Agreed! I do not like licorice flavored things.

yeah, it calls for fennel or fennel seed and that's a big no for me
I will check out what recipes I've made, they definitely didn't use fresh fennel but may have used fennel seed. I don't have an issue with fennel seed.

The tiny chocolatey cookies don't use fennel!!

The stuffed shells (if I'm remembering correctly) don't either. I don't think the sticky chili chicken does either...

I also made the roast chicken on the cover and the short ribs. The short ribs might have used fennel (I know they used whole coriander seeds), and I can't remember about the chicken...

I also HIGHLy recommend the anchovy green beans!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed! I do not like licorice flavored things.

I will check out what recipes I've made, they definitely didn't use fresh fennel but may have used fennel seed. I don't have an issue with fennel seed.

The tiny chocolatey cookies don't use fennel!!

The stuffed shells (if I'm remembering correctly) don't either. I don't think the sticky chili chicken does either...

I also made the roast chicken on the cover and the short ribs. The short ribs might have used fennel (I know they used whole coriander seeds), and I can't remember about the chicken...

I also HIGHLy recommend the anchovy green beans!
You just mentioned most of the recipes i copied 😂😂😂

You just mentioned most of the recipes i copied 😂😂😂
Haha so it wasn't a complete loss! And it was free, since you rented it. Maybe I was unintentionally choosing recipes without fennel?

I felt like a lot of her recipes use anchovies! But that is something I definitely don't mind. Gimme those itty bitty fishies!

Haha so it wasn't a complete loss! And it was free, since you rented it. Maybe I was unintentionally choosing recipes without fennel?

I felt like a lot of her recipes use anchovies! But that is something I definitely don't mind. Gimme those itty bitty fishies!
I didnt pick many (any?) Of those. Im meh on them and Boyfriend wont eat them - haddock/cod can be a battle 😑

And obligatory photo before consumption. It was really good! Maybe could have made the sauce a little less spicy and used a finer grind of cornmeal, but otherwise I enjoyed it. (And so did my family!)

A99D9226-3488-4FE2-8A08-737456FB4DEF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently they do a chili cookoff here at work as a fundraiser for the Christmas party.  Boss is chairman of the event team and asked if I was going to enter.  Being the 'new guy', figured it wouldn't be a bad way to suck up and it's a good excuse to make some more chicken taco soup...I'll just use a little less chicken broth to make it less soup and more chili.  Just got to figure out how to get the crock pot here on the bus without making a giant mess.

Apparently they do a chili cookoff here at work as a fundraiser for the Christmas party.  Boss is chairman of the event team and asked if I was going to enter.  Being the 'new guy', figured it wouldn't be a bad way to suck up and it's a good excuse to make some more chicken taco soup...I'll just use a little less chicken broth to make it less soup and more chili.  Just got to figure out how to get the crock pot here on the bus without making a giant mess.
Your...Christmas party?

bcf.png

BUT FUCK YEAH CHICKEN TACO SOUP.  I forgot about that recipe!  Maybe I'll attempt to make something like that in a few days (aka: I've got a single chicken breast, but a ton of peppers + seasonings, let's do this!).

we have a chili day here too but it's unrelated to our holiday party. and no longer a cook-off, it ends up being catered instead. 

Back