The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pot pies/chicken and dumplings, cioppino, braised short ribs, fried chicken, chili (see my earlier recipe), whole roasted birds, stuffed/unstuffed cabbage to name a few.

We caved yesterday and bought an Instant Pot after forgetting to start our pot roast in the slow cooker yesterday morning.

Any must-have Instant Pot recipes that aren't soups?  Chicken or beef preferably.

Just don't break up the ground beef too much, it's better when it's got clumps to it.

I really like it, just have to be careful if counting calories since the brown sugar adds up quick.  I prefer it with actual beef chunks/strips, but the ground beef is still good.

Womp womp, I didn't make it last night due to an over-abundance of mashed potatoes I forgot were in the fridge (aka: my dinner last night was just mashed potatoes).  I'm going to try and make this tonight after the gym!  I'm ultra excited!  And I get the whole 'counting calories'/brown sugar debacle, but I'm also like...I'll be splitting it into portions for moi to eat over a couple of days.  And now I totally know that my beef is thawed out instead of kinda frozen.

I really like it, just have to be careful if counting calories since the brown sugar adds up quick.  I prefer it with actual beef chunks/strips, but the ground beef is still good.
Made it last night!  Had to sub some stuff, since I forgot to chop garlic (I added a ton of garlic powder to compensate), didn't have red peppers (added around 1/6 tsp of cayenne pepper + a couple long squirts of sriracha sauce), and it came out really good!  Gives me an excuse to eat more rice and enjoy life for a couple days!

We grilled Sticky Chili Chicken w/ Hot-and-Sour Pineapple last night for dinner, and served it with celery salad w/ cilantro and sesame and rice. It was SO DAMN GOOD!

The recipes for the chicken and the salad are in Alison Roman's cookbook, Dining In. I highly recommend this cookbook - everything I've made from it has been stellar!

What'd everyone make for the super bowl? 

I made a baked potato bar, that had baked russet and sweet potatoes, as well as a bajillion toppings... Cheese, sour cream, salsa, chives, scallions, dill, pepperoncinis, bacon (not turkey, in case you were wondering @knight1fox3), and probably a few other things I am forgetting about.

I also made ridiculously good ricotta stuffed shells with mushrooms and herbs. More than 3# of cheese went into it, and it was well worth it!

I only made espresso brownies and went to someone else's house.  They had sliders and some other stuff.  Etouffee with kelbasa (?!) and a ton of munchies.  

@leggo PE, please post link to stuffed shells?  I didn't realize that was something I might be hankering until I read it and my stomach made a sad noise.

I made nothing for the superbowl.

I happened to make the sourdough pretzels on Sunday but it was a coincidence lol 

We went to a neighbor's across the street to watch, and were assigned an appetizer, so I made bacon-wrapped Lil' Smokies. Wrap each in PORK bacon, sprinkle with brown sugar, bake in 350 degree oven until bacon is crisp. They were gone before the game started.

The recipe is from Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy cookbook. Here's a link on some blogger's website to the recipe:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stephaniedickison.com/articles/alison-roman-recipe-ricotta-stuffed-shells%3Fformat%3Damp
*looks at it*

I remembered I don't really like mushrooms (they always taste...musty to me?), but I want to try more and I think something like this will def make me enjoy them.  Or at least give me an excuse to eat stuffed shells again.

Back