The Christmas 2013 thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I did something I never thought I'd do. I bought a white tree. Prelit, 6.5 feet, and, oddly enough, cheaper than the same tree unlit. Colored lights looks sorta pastel.

So, this year we'll have THREE artificial trees in the house and a real tree in the yard.

AND, all the tree lights (except one) have been replaced by LED lights, because incandescent lights haven't been worth a sh!t the past few years and only last a couple of seasons. The energy savings are a nice bonus, too.

what no aluminum tree with the floodlight and rotating color wheel?

what no aluminum tree with the floodlight and rotating color wheel?

That may be coming soon.

I haven't done a lick of Christmas shopping. Thank you eight pound five ounce baby Jesus for the interwebz.

Mrs goodal went a little nuts putting up xmas trees this year. We have 3 full size decorated ones and 6 little prelit jobs scattered around. I( have to admit its pretty cool to have all the lights off in the house and walk around by Christmas tree light.

since the basement furniture is still in the living, it was going to be another xmas without the big tree. So i went and bought a little 3 ft tree for the kitchen. We decorated it yesterday.

We finally have a new mantle after relocating the fireplace. So excited to have someplace to hang the stockings again...

LED lights weren't all they were cracked up to be in my experience. Still have the every other light out problem. >.<

Tell me, are there such a thing a Christmas lights that don't have to be replaced every year? We have to buy brand new lights every stinking year because the brand new ones we bought last year went bad sitting in a box for 11 months. How does that happen? Do spiders chew through cables or what? I would gladly pay extra for good lights if I could find them.

Tell me, are there such a thing a Christmas lights that don't have to be replaced every year? We have to buy brand new lights every stinking year because the brand new ones we bought last year went bad sitting in a box for 11 months. How does that happen? Do spiders chew through cables or what?
history-channel-hd-aliens-thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
are you talking about outside lights or indoor lights?

I have had the same indoor lights for 11 yrs.

I don't push lights outside so I can't speak to that

I think lights made before the turn of the century are a lot better than the ones made today. The ones I've bought since 2007 or so last maybe two seasons before a third of the strand goes belly up.

I really do like the LED lights a lot, though. The C7 repops are pretty cool (literally and figuratively) and remind me of the lights from my youth.

put up some solar led snowflake lights yesterday. They are charging today so we shall see when I turn them on today when I get home after that initial charge.

Im talking run of the mill indoor lights. Granted, I'm buying them at Walmart or Lowes, not Macys, but I still expect at least a couple of uses out of them before they croak.

Back