The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****, forgot to take pictures but I made pumpkin cheesecake for mini-thanksgiving this weekend. My brother is moving to Colorado this week and he will miss out this year due to the travel restrictions. I tried everything in the book to get it not to crack but I still got a grand canyon in the middle... still tasted good though and the texture was amazing.

Experimented with Gluten free baking yesterday.  Took a tried and true recipe...tollhouse chocolate chip cookies and made two batches.  One with Pillsbury's (I figured they are a flour company they should know their stuff) gluten free all purpose flour and the other with America's test kitchen gluten free all purpose flour recipe mixture (white&brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch).  Although I didn't add the xantham gum to the ATK one to see what would happen....they flattened out to be more of a cookie crisp than a normal thicker cookie. 

THe ATK flour was the winner of the taste test even without the xantham gum.  I was shocked how good the gluten free cookies tasted.  I figured I was going to be screwed for christmas cookies, but I think it will be fine.   

I baked some sourdough banana bread last weekend, and some sourdough boules two weeks ago. I've got this mix (I know, so unlike me!) for a devil's food cake thing that I want to split up and bake in the mini loaf pan I bought a while ago but have yet to use... I haven't been making quick breads as much as I used to, but know that I think about it, I probably could have done my banana bread as mini loaves too. My idea with the pan was eventually to turn it into baking fun holiday loaves that I would then give as gifts to people. But I don't have a specific loaf in mind yet....

I haven't really been baking so much for funsies so much as for necessities recently, but in the coming weeks, I plan to make some really good sounding brioche cinnamon rolls, linked here:

https://centralmilling.com/recipes/brioche-cinnamon-rolls-with-cardamom-and-toasted-pine-nuts/

As well as this cake for my upcoming birthday, which I have been daydreaming about (in the hopes that it kind of resembles a crepe cake I had in LA last year) ever since I discovered it about a month ago:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019089-russian-honey-cake

The funny thing about that cake is that it's the recipe of a cafe here in SF, but I've never been to, nor had I ever even heard of, said cafe. I could actually order this cake from them to pick up, but I am silly and want the challenge of baking it myself.

Speaking of making something oneself that could easily be bought at a store, I was trying to convince an old friend of mine to make her own pie crust for the apple pie she was planning to make with some of the apples she'd got from apple picking. Unfortunately for me, it was on a video call with two other old friends, and I don't think I won the battle of making it oneself vs. buying a premade frozen one. Pie crust is something I used to be afraid of, but not so any more! It's really not that hard. The hardest part is cutting up the butter quickly with either your hands or butter/dinner knives, and even that can be avoided by freezing and then shredding your butter.  :dunno:

The hardest part is cutting up the butter quickly with either your hands or butter/dinner knives, and even that can be avoided by freezing and then shredding your butter.  :dunno:
I usually cut then freeze for like 15-20min - this is for any recipe that requires really cold butter. I don't make a lot of pies. But I did make the SK pop-tarts a few weeks ago, so that's almost a pie lol 

you use butter in pie crust?

THe honey cake looks yummy
What do you use in pie crust?

I'm hoping to bake this weekend, especially if we can get Leggy Boi tired. Idk what I want to make - maybe donuts again?

Adrianna (A Cozy Kitchen) just posted a recipe for parker house rolls that I want. And I still wanna make the lemon rolls from Quin (Butter Be Ready).

I am def making the miso chocolate chip cookies again from Adrianna. They're basically on recipe in our house. Usually don't bake them, just eat the frozen dough balls lol 

I usually cut then freeze for like 15-20min - this is for any recipe that requires really cold butter. I don't make a lot of pies. But I did make the SK pop-tarts a few weeks ago, so that's almost a pie lol 

What do you use in pie crust?
Those poptarts look SO GOOD! And everyone knows strawberry poptarts are the best poptarts, hands down.

I'm guessing she might use crisco or lard? Dunno for sure though.

Those poptarts look SO GOOD! And everyone knows strawberry poptarts are the best poptarts, hands down.

I'm guessing she might use crisco or lard? Dunno for sure though.
I did blackberry since that's the jam I have (and prefer). My non-jam eating partner loved them and tried to hoard them all (I had baked some for a friend lol)

I'm sure blackberry was delicious too! But, are there blackberry real poptarts, like to be bought in the store? I only remember raspberry and the weird, I dunno, smores or something ones? And then also the unfrosted ones...

I'm sure blackberry was delicious too! But, are there blackberry real poptarts, like to be bought in the store? I only remember raspberry and the weird, I dunno, smores or something ones? And then also the unfrosted ones...
i have no idea - idon't buy poptarts ever really.

I FOUND OUT WHO MIKE IS. My cousin rocks and she used her husband’s Amazon Prime because she’s too lazy to get her own Prime account. She said it is vital I learn how to make beautiful cakes and succeed where she failed (though she doesn’t actually bake). 

I also failed in baking anything this weekend since I was too busy caulking windows and meal prepping (because I need to be more serious about this). I do want to attempt pumpkin cookies or something this week so I can maybe get rid of some of this purée I have. Also, almond cookies didn’t happen because I have almond paste...but no almond flour. *sigh*

Back