The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made hermit bars yesterday!

Which is actually not anything I had ever heard of, despite having lived in New England for seven years... I guess I didn't frequent too many classic New England bakeries.

Hermit Bars Recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/hermit-bars-recipe

I also made some no bake granola bar things. I'm thinking I might finally try to get Mr. Leggo off of his Kind bar kick, and these (with variations) might work as he and I both think they're quite good! Even with me forgetting the vanilla extract and the cinnamon. I did end up sprinkling cinnamon on top, but blew it on incorporating the vanilla extract. Brown rice syrup was a bit tricky for me to find, unless you go to Amazon as your first stop (I was trying to find it locally).

Glo Bar Recipe: https://www.chatelaine.com/health/healthy-recipes-health/angela-liddon-vegan-energy-bar/

I should add, both recipes were super easy! I did half of the Hermit bar recipe, because I didn't think we needed three dozen of them... And baked in a 9"x13" pan, for I do not have the jelly roll pan that was listed. I also used a 8"x8" pan for the Glo bars, because I don't have a 9" square pan. In the future, I'd prefer them to be a little thinner, so I think the 9" pan would be good (or adjust the recipe by reducing everything by 20%) for an 8" square pan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, everyone's gotta post their failures, right?

Bonus points to you if you actually know what that image I posted is or where it's from!

Got some sourdough focaccia dough in the making, and it's looking good!

Over the weekend, I made a loaf of kalamata olive and rosemary sourdough. Um, so good!

IMG_4052.jpg

I made some oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips...but I ran out of chocolate chips (only had half a cup of required 2 cups) so I used walnuts to bulk up.  I'm...not sure if these are good or not.  They kinda taste ultra walnutty, and I didn't chop the walnuts because I was super tired when making them.  So.  Yeah.  Not the best.

Ack, it's a tragedy to not have enough chocolate chips for a recipe! Last weekend, I woke up on Saturday and really, really, REALLY wanted to make Smitten Kitchen's Raspberry Breakfast Bars (I mean, come on, just look at the photo here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/raspberry-breakfast-bars/). I knew I had some raspberries and blackberries in the fridge, but couldn't remember how many... I didn't even have half the amount needed. No frozen berries, either. So I have now just been sitting here, waiting to make them THIS Saturday instead... Since I've now supplied myself with enough raspberries to get the job done.

I bet chopping up the walnuts would have helped! I'm not sure what size your walnuts were (halves? Bits and pieces?) but I always chop walnuts down to bits and pieces size, and even sometimes all bits... Haha.

Okay, sourdough focaccia time!

IMG_4070.jpg

My wife and I made mini apple crumb pies with Jonathon and Spartan apples we just picked yesterday. Usually we just make a large pie but we decided to try this out. It was a little more work to cut out the dough into smaller circles to put in a cup cake tin but they turned out really good.

20200920_145942.jpg

I made two apple cakes (my husband's grandma's recipe) and they turned out well! I was thinking about making some sourdough soft pretzels, but then decided to drink some beer yesterday instead.

WHAT.  THAT'S FRICKING AMAZING!!!!  ✨✨✨✨
i'm so excited

but also i want to bake more things. but i can't since it's just the 2 of us and my freezer is full (we're drowning in rhubarb and he doesnt like rhubarb). and im not allowed to bring stuff to work to share. but i have a couple of friends who will take baked goods. one who has her jaw wired shut (&shes the one person i see the most, from a masked distance) 

i'm so excited

but also i want to bake more things. but i can't since it's just the 2 of us and my freezer is full (we're drowning in rhubarb and he doesnt like rhubarb). and im not allowed to bring stuff to work to share. but i have a couple of friends who will take baked goods. one who has her jaw wired shut (&shes the one person i see the most, from a masked distance) 
I FUCKING WANT ALL THE RHUBARB AND IT LIKE NOT A THING HERE.  I SAW IT FOR A WEEK AND THEN IT WAS GONE.

Indiana is in full swing of opening up and I just...I'm going to start baking again and giving specific treats to specific shop groups.  Hopefully they won't mingle with each other and will be good.  On the docket is:

HVAC shop - Espresso double chocolate brownies

Electric shop - Ranger cookies (shakes in maf excitement)

Pipe shop - Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

Wood shop - Apple cider doughnut (might just make these into pumpkin spice/cinnamon doughnuts since I haven't made doughnuts in forever)

I FUCKING WANT ALL THE RHUBARB AND IT LIKE NOT A THING HERE.  I SAW IT FOR A WEEK AND THEN IT WAS GONE.

Indiana is in full swing of opening up and I just...I'm going to start baking again and giving specific treats to specific shop groups.  Hopefully they won't mingle with each other and will be good.  On the docket is:

HVAC shop - Espresso double chocolate brownies

Electric shop - Ranger cookies (shakes in maf excitement)

Pipe shop - Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

Wood shop - Apple cider doughnut (might just make these into pumpkin spice/cinnamon doughnuts since I haven't made doughnuts in forever)
I WANT AN APPLE CIDER DONUT

Friendo, come to maine, take this rhubarb off my hands. and enjoy more reasonable covid guidelines. 

Back