The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm nowhere near the baking level of most of you in this thread, but we have rhubarb ready to harvest and I want to make a pie.  Any good recipes?  I like my rhubarb extra tart!

I'm nowhere near the baking level of most of you in this thread, but we have rhubarb ready to harvest and I want to make a pie.  Any good recipes?  I like my rhubarb extra tart!
Yoooooooooo.  Let me get my recipe book and I post a pic.  I made a rhubarb and I think berry crumble that is pretty legit (if you don't want to deal with an actual pie crust, but then you get crumble).  I'm a huge fan of rhubarb and love baking with it.

I did a strawberry rhubarb galette last summer but i can't find the recipe but galettes are easy and lazy pies 

Hopefully these pics from my phone post. One is a rhubarb pie I do (no crust) and the other is a rhubarb peach ginger crumble I like. For some reason I can’t rotate some of the pics?

7155CC0C-C396-4725-924E-C383B45DA05D.jpeg

F9F2C4C4-1286-4623-8547-3E9D26E276BB.jpeg

2178F312-6FFB-489F-B064-076AA9EA6628.jpeg

68382831-8CE8-4DDC-AABD-6D1CF9A62CAA.jpeg

Gosh I have so many photos to post here, but how the heck do you post photos from your phone (using Chrome browser) and NOT have them be rotated 90 degrees?!

I guess I'll just summarize with words... Over the course of the past few weeks, I've made sourdough Pain de Mie (SO GOOD and good practice for me pullman loaf shaping as well), spelt sourdough pretzels, sourdough banana muffins, wholewheat sourdough bagels (which I think I like better than my other sourdough bagel recipe), and the freaking easiest, most delicious strawberry spooncake that I'm still dreaming about.

Also, I would never mix flours! I use KAF and the occasional Bob's Red Mill flour. I will mix these too, but the vast majority of the time, it's all KAF all the time. Which reminds me, I need to order some more whole wheat and all purpose KAF...

And this is probably super dorky, but I absolutely HATE plastic wrap and tin foil boxes. Maybe I handle them too roughly, but they always fall apart on me... I'm seriously eyeing the reusable dispensers KAF has.
Wow, much about this post has changed! I absolutely mix flours now, mainly whole wheat and all purpose, based on what I have available to me and what looks best. I still haven't quite bitten the bullet to mill my own flour...

And well, I still hate plastic wrap and tin foil boxes, but I invested in KAF's plastic wrap dispenser thing, and wow, do I sure love that thing!

Challah is on its final rise...

@JayKay PE I’m using the recipe you shared! But this time with 40% white spelt and the rest bread flour, because I’m conserving my all purpose flour at the moment.

I did a six strand braid, which was way easier than I expected, and a linked loops. I’m excited to see how they bake up!

Still life of freshly baked sourdough loaf, peaceful kitty, and snake plant. Also, my view right next to my main work at home setup.

image.jpg

Last week I learned that sourdough starter, when ignored in the fridge for 6 weeks or so, will make hooch. I also learned that you can pour that off, scrape the gray layer off, and feed that sucker and go. 

Bread was way easier to make when I was WFH. There's no time to do it and I was close to bringing it to the office to get it going and then decided that was not smart for many reasons. 

Yeah, you can stir the hooch back in and discard and feed as normal, or pour it off and discard and feed as normal. I typically pour it off, if that happens.

When I'm in the office, I do not bake during the week. I will make my levain either Friday night or (more often) Saturday morning, form my dough over the course of Saturday, retard in the fridge overnight, and bake on Sunday.

This is even an abnormal bake for me during WFH times, but my neighbor just got back from having surgery, so I'm baking a loaf for him and his wife as a get well soon gift.

Been watching Nailed it on Netflix...baking show that purposely looks for BAD bakers.  Now I have this wanting to try and make some of the things they had the contestants make.  But I have no time...I wouldn't put the ridiculously short time frames given either...if I am going to make a multilayer cake with fondant and buttercream i am going to do it the right way

Back