The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got a portion of a friend's sour dough starter. Mrs. Buff made sourdough bread in the bread machine...it wasn't quite sour enough to taste like the real deal. Any suggestions (other than don't use the bread machine)? I think she planned on trying it in the real oven next, but should she let it sit out and proof longer to develop the sour taste?

We got a portion of a friend's sour dough starter. Mrs. Buff made sourdough bread in the bread machine...it wasn't quite sour enough to taste like the real deal. Any suggestions (other than don't use the bread machine)? I think she planned on trying it in the real oven next, but should she let it sit out and proof longer to develop the sour taste?
Calling @leggo PE

I've never made sourdough bread in a breadmaker before (I don't have one to even try). But typically, the way you get the more sour flavor in a home bake would be to refrigerate the dough for an extended period of time before baking. I'm no expert, but putting the dough in a cold environment slows down the fermentation (so your bread shouldn't overproof) and also helps to develop the bacteria in the dough that promote the sour flavor. An additional way to also get more interesting and possibly sour flavor in your bread would be to put in a percentage of whole wheat or rye flour, but if you go too high of a percentage, it will also have an effect on your hydration. Whole wheat flour is thirstier than regular old bread flour!

I'm not sure how this would translate to a breadmaker, which from my understanding, kneads and bakes the bread all in on. For reference, here's my rough sourdough process (it's really not that hard to do, it just takes time, patience, and experience):

Friday night: feed starter

Saturday morning, early: mix levain with ripe (fed) starter

Early or mid Saturday afternoon: mix active levain, flour, and warm water (holding back 100g water to put in with the salt) and let autolyse for 1 huor

One hour later: mix salt in with remaining 100g warm water; perform set of stretches and folds

Mid afternoon to early evening (4 ish hours usually): do 4 sets of stretches and folds at 30 min intervals, leave dough alone (covered this whole time) for the remained of the 4 hours, all the while at a slightly warmer than room temp location (for me, this is on top of my gas stove)

Early evening: divide dough into two and pre-shape, let bench rest for 20 min

20 min later: shape and put into bannetons, cover bannetons and put into fridge

Following morning/afternoon: preheat dutch oven in oven at 500 degrees for one hour

One hour later: Score and bake loaves, one at a time, with reheated oven in between

Maybe this will help someone?

Last edited by a moderator:
K, here's my baking haul from the weekend:

First up, sourdough pretzels! I used a different recipe than my go-to one, and really, really enjoyed making them. The dough was so fluffy, like a pillow! Amazing since it was pretty low hydration -- you want that chewiness!

Sarah Owens Whole Wheat Pretzels.jpg

Then I made these giant, deliciously crinkled chocolate chip cookies:

Giant Crinkly Pan-Banged Cookies.jpg

And lastly, I made some bread. Gave one loaf to my upstairs neighbors!

2020-03-28 40% ww loaf.jpg

That's all, folks!

I really want to make doughnuts...but I am still working, and I should not make a dozen doughnuts when I 'technically' can't bring them into work due to social distancing (which no one in Indiana is following, which in turn is making my skin crawl).  Ugggggggh.  I wish I had roommates or lived with people so I could bake and not feel horrible eating a ton of baked goods!

Note to self: NEVER WHISK EGG WHITES TO STIFF PEAKS BY HAND.

Seriously, I don't know why I did this... Well, I know why. I didn't want to get out my stand mixer. I was like, whisk and bowl and egg whites! That's all I need! Well, thirty freaking minutes of continuous rapid whipping later, I finally got them. Never. Again.

It does make me want a hand mixer though! For those in-between times.

Also, sourdough waffles are awesome! Happy birthday to Mr. Leggo!

More cookies. Double batch got me 37. Single batch got me 21. I was a little heavy handed with the scoop this time.

Little pan was last to bake so dough was left to warm up longer. And its a darker pan. (Theres a 2nd little pan on another counter)

And i should have put less on a pan but since its the middle of the day, i wanted as few pans as possible

20200402_091725.jpg

received_571381740396810.jpeg

Someone near me is making pancakes, which made me think of the baking thread. 

I decided to give it a go, and made quarantine pancakes for the first time ever, even though I had no eggs. Mission accomplished. Finally got to use some of the Grade A Maine Maple syrup my sis gave me, and some of the Fig Orange Jam that I've had in my fridge. (Not pictured: I cut up some fresh apple, and a little cinnamon on the fig cinnamon ones. Made me want to do some kind of stewed brown-sugar-cinnamon-apple topping....) 

image.png

But I'm almost out of flour, and I'm out of snacks. Maybe time to go shopping again.... 

Note to self: NEVER WHISK EGG WHITES TO STIFF PEAKS BY HAND.
You'll either get ripped, or a repetitive strain injury.

Someone near me is making pancakes, which made me think of the baking thread. 

I decided to give it a go, and made quarantine pancakes for the first time ever, even though I had no eggs. Mission accomplished. Finally got to use some of the Grade A Maine Maple syrup my sis gave me, and some of the Fig Orange Jam that I've had in my fridge. (Not pictured: I cut up some fresh apple, and a little cinnamon on the fig cinnamon ones. Made me want to do some kind of stewed brown-sugar-cinnamon-apple topping....) 

*pic snip*

But I'm almost out of flour, and I'm out of snacks. Maybe time to go shopping again.... 

You'll either get ripped, or a repetitive strain injury.
YOUR PANCAKES LOOK AMAZING.  Mine came out really fluffy/thick, and I kinda wanted thinner pancakes like yours so I could eat more than one and be totally full...

I went shopping on Wednesday for fruit.  I think there was flour where I was?  But it was Costco in the Midwest.  Whereas Costco in the middle of the ocean might still be hurting a bit.

Tried and failed to make some sourdough bread this weekend (I got a starter from a friend and I don't think she'd used it in a while, so it wasn't active enough). Made more bomb ass pretzels and some white chocolate orange cranberry scones though. Going to keep feeding the starter and see if I can't get some bread in the next few days.

Tried and failed to make some sourdough bread this weekend (I got a starter from a friend and I don't think she'd used it in a while, so it wasn't active enough). Made more bomb ass pretzels and some white chocolate orange cranberry scones though. Going to keep feeding the starter and see if I can't get some bread in the next few days.
What were the characteristics of the starter when you went to use it? Had it doubled in size? What did it smell like? Was it consistently doubling in size in 8-12 hours in the feedings you gave it before baking?

What failed about the sourdough bread? Was it simply flat? It would probably still taste good! It will generally always taste good unless you forget the salt.

What were the characteristics of the starter when you went to use it? Had it doubled in size? What did it smell like? Was it consistently doubling in size in 8-12 hours in the feedings you gave it before baking?

What failed about the sourdough bread? Was it simply flat? It would probably still taste good! It will generally always taste good unless you forget the salt.
The starter was bubbly and acidic smelling, but it hadn't doubled in size. I've been feeding it once a day for the last few days but it still isn't doubling.

The bread basically didn't rise at all (I gave it about 24hrs just in case) and was pretty gluey on the inside after I baked it.

Back