The back 9

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't feed the fish, but I'm pretty sure there are some trees that are ready to come down.

This thread reminds me of the Facebook posts like ... "If we get 24 likes in 24 hrs, the 25th person gets a free wood"

Last edited:
81, 87, 72 this weekend. That 72 is my lowest round ever by 3 strokes. I had 4 birdies and an eagle, and only 14 putts on the back 9. My 34 on the back was also my lowest 9 hole score ever.

Nice job!

I ended up sucking it up on the first four holes, completely forgetting how to drive. Once I got my back loosened up and kept my arm straight, I had several good holes for me, including a handful of pars and a couple bogeys and double bogeys. My drives were great, no slice and had some picture perfect ones, including the par 3 on #9 that stuck within 5 feet of the pin. I struggled quite a bit with my irons though, and other than one shot, I really struggled with the fairway woods. I think I just try to overhit them instead of letting the club do its work, and I end up slicing badly or topping the ball.

Bump. I've been swinging the wrenches quite a bit the last 5 years. Most of my 18 hole scores are in the low 90's, but I've been playing more 9 hole to fit more in for the week. My 9 hole rounds usually average low 40's. The local club I go to has an indoor simulator, so you can maintain swing form through the snowy times. Need to revive this thread to see what everyone else is doing with the sport.

Bump. I've been swinging the wrenches quite a bit the last 5 years. Most of my 18 hole scores are in the low 90's, but I've been playing more 9 hole to fit more in for the week. My 9 hole rounds usually average low 40's. The local club I go to has an indoor simulator, so you can maintain swing form through the snowy times. Need to revive this thread to see what everyone else is doing with the sport.
Watching the sticks collect dust for the 1-2 times I can get out in a year anymore...usually both times are outings so I'm technically "working"

Where are you golfing while down there?
We go to the Fort Myers area. We played Stoneybrook, Magnolia Landing, Ft. Myers CC, Palmetto-Pine CC, and a brand new course (like built last February) called Babcock National. We have also played Eastwood, Coral Oaks, River Hall, Copperhead, Kingsway, and Waterlefe in previous years.

We go to the Fort Myers area. We played Stoneybrook, Magnolia Landing, Ft. Myers CC, Palmetto-Pine CC, and a brand new course (like built last February) called Babcock National. We have also played Eastwood, Coral Oaks, River Hall, Copperhead, Kingsway, and Waterlefe in previous years.
Nice! That's quite the checklist. I've only been to FL once when Mrs. had a conference in Miami. I played the Biltmore and Crandon while down there. The Crandon was freakin' awesome, it was the first time I golfed with a mando forecaddie.

Nice! That's quite the checklist. I've only been to FL once when Mrs. had a conference in Miami. I played the Biltmore and Crandon while down there. The Crandon was freakin' awesome, it was the first time I golfed with a mando forecaddie.
I've also played TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course and Sky Blue in Jacksonville when a buddy lived there.

I'm going on a trip to San Diego and Phoenix with another group in September. We're playing TPC Scottsdale (both courses), Torrey Pines (both courses), and 4+ other courses that I've never heard of.

I belong to the Country Club that is about 1.5 mile from my house. Was able to walk 9 after work about twice a week this past summer.

I hope to improve on that amount next year.

I'm not very good (usually shoot around 95), but **** IT, I know I can get there.

Very frustrating hobby. Don't know why it is so addictive.
old threads are fun. 9 years later, I still am very happy to shoot a 95. I never did improve. :D

Improvement in golf comes in levels. You get to a certain "plateau" and you kind of stay there until you figure out how to drop to the next level. I was an 80s-90s shooter in high school. Improved during college even though I hardly ever played. Then I slowly improved after college after taking lessons and beating balls at the range.

My current best for 18 holes is 65, but it was quite a putting fluke. I got to play in a state mid-am once, but other than that, just a normal weekend golfer. My dad is 75 and routinely shoots his age. We still enjoy a competitive game straight-up (usually during holidays at the moment). I play 1-2 times a year but hopefully will get back to once a week after I pass the PE exam.

I played in a two-day Men's spring opener at the local club this weekend, and my partner and I walked away with first in Net :cool:. On Sunday, I dropped in a pin seeker on a 135yd par 3 that hit (we think) the stick and cup with a crisp "whack". We couldn't see anything because the flag was tucked up behind a tall bunker lip. Rolled up to the green to see it sitting 1" from the cup. It jacked up the shallow cup insert (due to covid) and must have hopped out since we didn't find a crater. Had a good chance at an ace but ended up with a tap in bird. I'm around a 20 hcp, but times like this are why I throw the money at it. **** you Covid, I call down judgement on you.

I played in a two-day Men's spring opener at the local club this weekend, and my partner and I walked away with first in Net :cool:. On Sunday, I dropped in a pin seeker on a 135yd par 3 that hit (we think) the stick and cup with a crisp "whack". We couldn't see anything because the flag was tucked up behind a tall bunker lip. Rolled up to the green to see it sitting 1" from the cup. It jacked up the shallow cup insert (due to covid) and must have hopped out since we didn't find a crater. Had a good chance at an ace but ended up with a tap in bird. I'm around a 20 hcp, but times like this are why I throw the money at it. **** you Covid, I call down judgement on you.

I would chalk it up as a Hole-in-One...or maybe a 1-1/2, or even 1-1/4.

Or hey, if you kept the ball, have a trophy made and call it a Hole in One*
"Asterisk" being: (Covid)

+1

...and golf is not a game where unleashing the mutant beast works very well for anyone. Now cycling, on the other hand...

Superhero-Power-Bike-Transportation-Concepts-8.jpg

Sorry, this is not the "cycling" thread. Back on topic

Something something cycling is the new golf something something.

Back