Where to take the SE? best review course? impressions?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpallSoHard

Reaction score
I've been thinking of taking the SE. I'm on the east coast where seismic is not as big of a concern and I don't see really any SE's floating around here. With the rising trend of virtual employment I'm thinking it might be a good way to learn some new things and perhaps spread my wings.

With that being said...does it matter where you sit for the exam? Is there some places that may be better than others because of reciprocity or some other reason?

Also, from looking at the forums it seems many recommend the AEI course. As a bridge engineer, I'm mostly worried about getting up to speed on building codes. From those that have taken it, what was your impression of the amount of building content you need to learn for the morning breadth section?

Thanks for your time. :)

You can take the test anywhere, biggest thing I can think that might be different between states is that some states have decoupled the experience requirement from the test requirement (you don't have to get four years of experience before taking the test). But even if you are in a state where you can take it early, I'm pretty sure all the state's will still recognize a pass once you have your experience.

AEI course is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

I took the AEI course and it is really good and prepares you well for in person exam and gives you a lot of good reference material.

Watch out as the SE exam is going to be a CBT (Computer Based Test) starting in 2024, I believe and the format and length will be changing as a result. Currently the course are made for the current format. Maybe the course are prepared for that shift but might be something you look out for cause you can't take reference materials into the exam anymore, they are breaking up the different sections, and increasing the amount of exam hours. I would make sure you look into how the course is going to prepare you for the 2024 exam, unless you are looking to pass both the lateral and vertical this coming October as it is the last Pencil and Paper exam to my knowledge.

Back