The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on my 2002 Tahoe it keeps blowing the fuse for the ATC (Auto transfer case for the 4WD)  the "internets" say this happens often with drastic changes in weather ( and we have had 60's one day, 20's the next) but still seems odd.

Any other chevy truck owners with the Auto 4 Wheel Drive button have this issue?  Its  a cheap fix but I am thinking something larger looms?
Unplug the actuator on the front axle, drive around, see if it does it.  If still blows, unplug the encoder motor on the transfer case, drive around, see if it does it.  If it still does it, you can try replacing the switch.  If that doesn't do it, you've either got an electrical short or a bad TCCM.  Sometimes they can just reflash the TCCM and you won't need a new one.  

This is all assuming you have no issues/noises from the TC itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks!  if it warms up above 45 I will look under the front this weekend.

A few years ago I had the switch replaced on the actual transfer case (around $800 bucks) and the switch on the dash, so I am hoping maybe it is either the cold or just some really old fuses? not sure if they get old but I have had these at least since Atlanta days...

Neither sounds too plausible.  This is a pretty common problem in all GM 4WD trucks of that era.  Is it throwing a 4WD service light on the dash when it happens?

While you're under there, also poke around for the wires coming from both (actuator and encoder) and make sure there's nothing that has rubbed through/shorted anywhere.  

Yes it says service 4wd when it happens -  It did this last year and the fuse was good for a year, then it blew out in a week.  well see how long this one goes.. I just need this car to last another year or so...

Yes it says service 4wd when it happens -  It did this last year and the fuse was good for a year, then it blew out in a week.  well see how long this one goes.. I just need this car to last another year or so...
If you can get a GOOD code scanner (one that displays OEM codes/lets you run tests), you should be able to see if the controller motor is the cause of the thrown code.  There are also a set of electronic diagnostics you can run with the scanners that should at least rule out the TCCM being the issue.  

Time to bump the power up a bit.
ConstantElementaryEgg-max-1mb.gif

Meanwhile, I drive around in a Volt that doesn't make any noise.

I find it very peaceful. For daily driving, it's the perfect car.

Also instant torque at 0 RPM is its own bag of fun.

We want to hear fast car go vroom vroom!

Side note, tons of people in town here are driving Teslas. I considered the possibility of thinking about getting a cyber truck, but I like being able to work on my own car.

We'll, it's come time to change the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case oils. And probably topping off the grease points. That's what I'll be doing this weekend if the weather is decent. Almost time to change the transmission oil & fluid, as well as flush out the coolant. I've gone through many creek crossing since last change so she'll really appreciate new gear oil!

I need to replace my driveshaft center support bearing at some time, too. The new bearing has just been sitting in the garage waiting, but I haven't had a full weekend yet where I have time to drop the drive shaft. I'll be replacing the center u-joint at the same time since it has to come out anyways. 

Back