The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weve bought cars from CarMax before and been happy

but no jeep for him- 16 years olds insurance on a jeep or any other perceived fun car is outrageous..

He will be 16 in August, wont be able to get his license until Nov or December. We need him to drive some to be honest. After 16 years of lugging kids around you need a F'n break

He is aware he has to come up with half of his insurance, which will be around $600 for him, So he has to meet this end of the bargain...

But if we get him a clunker type were thinking <$5K

weve bought cars from CarMax before and been happy

but no jeep for him- 16 years olds insurance on a jeep or any other perceived fun car is outrageous..

He will be 16 in August, wont be able to get his license until Nov or December. We need him to drive some to be honest. After 16 years of lugging kids around you need a F'n break

He is aware he has to come up with half of his insurance, which will be around $600 for him, So he has to meet this end of the bargain...

But if we get him a clunker type were thinking <$5K

lol, the jeep was for me! my Dad taught me how to drive on a Dodge Diplomat... "lots of metal to protect you" was a phrase I heard often. Good gosh that thing was a boat.

I tend to think about money in units of vacations, cars, houses, and "fatty." When car approaches the value of house, though, it completely throws off my system. Like when you see people living in a trailer driving a Mercedes.

We share the same logic, I have a little different responsibility and terms of reliable transportation for the family and all though

We have bought new cars before however we've usually kept them close to 10 years, I have found your going to pay about the same yearly driving cost if you buy a new car and keep it a decade that you will if you buy a used car and are constantly working on it

I tend to think about money in units of vacations, cars, houses, and "fatty." When car approaches the value of house, though, it completely throws off my system. Like when you see people living in a trailer driving a Mercedes.

If we purchase either one, I consider it a long term investment. 2014 is new enough that I don't feel like it looses half it's value when I drive it off the lot maybe? We bought the Mazda new and someone rear-ended my husband before we even made the first payment, so I tend to shy away from brand spanking new- 2 years old I figure maybe it is more likely that it was a lease that got traded in for an upgrade rather than a car with issues that someone didn't want anymore.

Carmax will show you the Carfax, and you can tell if it was a rental

You can also Google the Vin number and that will provide a ton of info also

I know, I just wish that the new drive-in theater was going to be open in time for 50 shades of gray

Better bring out the hand warmers and tinted windows for that one.

No on the Prius. Maybe on the Tahoe. The more metal the better, but I would shop for another used option. You might find something newer that meets the "whole family" need.

Also, definitely remove the third row, unless RG Jr. has a girlfriend. In which, case removing the the third row conveniently makes enough room for a full-sized blanket and some pillows...for, you know, picnicking.

RG, just get a older truck for the kid. Say mid to late 70's IH Scout. Plenty of steel to protect him, cheap insurance and easy to work on.

Could be a decent father / son rebuild project too.

Best first car for a son? S10 pickup truck. Dead reliable, cheap insurance, cheap to buy, room to haul crap (like lawnmowers for his summer job), and most importantly, no seats to haul around more than 1 friend.

sadly there really isn't such a thing as cheap insurance for a 16 year old... even a 84 ford ranger is going to be a minimum $1200-$1400 / year :(

but that's our line of thinking is either a small pick up, Id love to find a 78 Bronco that he could get working again and I could take over down the line, but those things are either already tricked out and pricey or rust buckets by now..

sadly there really isn't such a thing as cheap insurance for a 16 year old... even a 84 ford ranger is going to be a minimum $1200-$1400 / year :(

but that's our line of thinking is either a small pick up, Id love to find a 78 Bronco that he could get working again and I could take over down the line, but those things are either already tricked out and pricey or rust buckets by now..
I think you need to re-look at your provider then. It's no where near that for say something like a basic plan through Progressive. Might be worth checking on getting him his own plan through a separate provider and then later on teaching him what insurance payments will actually look like. The joys of car-ownership. ;)

Back