The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dodge has long been known for bad quality. My buddy who works for Chrysler/Fiat tells me they're getting better but I personally would take a wait-and-see approach, except maybe a Wrangler since it has a non-Chrysler heritage.

Detroit area born and raised, I still couldn't bring myself to buy a vehicle sold by a foreign-owned company if there is a viable alternative available from an American-based company. From that list I'd go for the Colorado, simply because I think I'll be having a need for a pickup in the future and I've always been a fan of small/mid-size pickups.

Wait for the 2016 Camaro. It's supposed to have the magnetic ride control. Smooth as a Caddy when you need it, stiff like a sports car when you want it.

except maybe a Wrangler since it has a non-Chrysler heritage.
+1.

Detroit area born and raised, I still couldn't bring myself to buy a vehicle sold by a foreign-owned company if there is a viable alternative available from an American-based company.
Even so, if it's getting horrible marks on Consumer Reports, I could care less where it's made it's not going in my garage.

And also, having worked quite a bit in the automotive industry prior to material handling and consulting, you know that even though the company may be American based, the vehicles themselves are no longer completely manufactured in America. So I don't quite see the merit in brand loyalty in this regard.

^Agree on both points--for instance I probably won't be getting an American motorcycle any time soon because there isn't anything offered from an American brand that I want (and can afford).

Though, while I agree that pretty much any vehicle is manufactured across the globe I do put some emphasis on who they employ in the design process, as well as where the corporate profits go. For instance, my girlfriend's brother works for Kia and despite having a BSME cannot obtain a title of Engineer because he is not from Korea.

My brother likes his (midsize SUV) 2014 Hyundai Tucson... I puke when I look at the front of it, but it's nice otherwise. I'd take the Kia counterpart (Sorento) or, in the compact marketplace, the Sportage. Personally I'd avoid Chrysler / Dodge / Fiat / Cerberus / Jeep / whothef*ckeverownsittoday like the plague. My personal take on their "reliability" over the years. I'm not blown away by any of the Big 3 offerings in my price range anyway. All appear "meh" and underwhelming.

I put over 200,000 miles on my Durango and really had no problems with it.... I never really "loved" the car it was just the size I needed for 5 people's

^ maybe on some of the older models like 2000 and earlier. But seriously, take a look at some of the newer models today and the reviews that are documented.

what do you expect out of the union industry?

But cars are a little subjective, based on who drives them ,were all those vehicles maintained at the same rate, where were they driven? We have all been in the oil change place with "that person" who gets asked ' ughh you know you have been 13,000 miles since the last oil change?

I normally change my own oil but it is a PIA some days...and you have to be round them blondes...

But cars are a little subjective, based on who drives them ,were all those vehicles maintained at the same rate, where were they driven?

I ensured maintenance on all the vehicles, depending on their age between 5,000 and 7,000 miles per oil change, synthetic for them all once we hit over 80,000 miles, Most of them bought used so I can only guess the history for the first bit... Most were either driven on highways or back country dirt roads... gently compared to what I imagine most are put through, also infrequently... (for gosh sake the 2002 doesn't even have 200,000 miles on it)

Back country dirt roads can be hell on a motor. You'd be amazed at what dirt does to the longevity of a motor, even with a good air filter.

Well, unless they're a racecar. My wagon runs with no filter, my RX7 needed a custom fab'd cowl induction setup with a foam element just to keep rocks out of it...

Hyundai SantaFe

Hyundai Genesis

Dodge Journey or Nitro

Dodge Avenger, Charger or Challenger

Mazda Cx9 (or 7)

Chevy Colorado

Dodge Ram 1500

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Jeep Wrangler

Since the FJ is on there, I'm assuming you're looking used? And BTW, the FJ is just an overweight, overpriced 4-Runner in retro clothing.

I'd always vote for a Wrangler. Mine was a tank and I never had any problems with it, but if I did, it was easy to work on. I can't say too much about the newer Jeeps with their V-6's, but the I-6's will go forever. So far my Dodge Ram hasn't been bad. No real problems...knock on wood...and the Hemi is just too much fun.

So here is my dilemma I have coming up next year, eldest RG jr will be 16 in August. He can’t get his license until around November due to not getting his learners until then last year..

I drive an 02 Tahoe (paid for) with 135K miles on it. We need a big 4WD car for family trips to the mtns and such. But I am sick of driving the large car, I have been driving a large SUV as my daily driver since 06. I am thinking of getting myself something used but newer in the fall and giving my 16 year old the tahoe to drive around town, will mainly be to school, band, etc.

My worries are:

With the tahoe, you really can’t trust (just using) your mirrors, it’s a big car and you have to check for blind spots when turning and merging and I worry that new drivers don’t always double check when turning.

Also I don’t really want him carrying 7 people around (I guess I can remove the 3rd row seats) & I think there are limits on who can be in the car and such the 1st year driving.

It’s a big engine, but not a fast engine, so I am not too worried about him driving the 5.3 L V8

I will still need the car for family use and don’t want it trashed during the week – I can handle that with some discipline..

We had talked about giving him the wife’s Prius (paid for), but I kind of like him having a little more metal around him his first year of driving. Wife “loves” her car and doesn’t want to part with it, It only has 55K miles on it. Its also an 06. I have not had much luck getting her to sell it. Were so close to Boulder we could probably get some good $ for it. It had the hybrid battery replaced last year (still under warranty thank god).

Another option is If wife got a newer car she could drive the tahoe to work since she only has a 5 mile commute and I could take her car and get a clunker for my son (like an old Ford Ranger or something). I have tried driving the prius to work some but its pretty damn uncomfortable for a person that is 6’2” and again city traffic, big trucks, one wreck and I am either dead or in a wheel chair the rest of my life.. Wife wants a F’n Subaru, which I guess I could drive, I was thinking getting a gently used 4 runner or something similar so we could have a backup 4WD for when only 4 of us go skiing. Which I foresee in the future happening as my oldest gets sucked into the later teenage life, band, school, job, etc..

So to summarize my diatribe:

1) Give son my Tahoe- get me something new(ish)
2) Give son Prius – get wife her F’n Subaru, I keep driving the Tahoe (or trade vehicles out between wife and I)
3) Give son another clunker car, we keep driving our same cars

Fuck one day I just want to be able to make decisions that don’t involve 3 other people..

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote no car for the first 6 months after passing the test... delay your decision?

(links removed)

The jeep is local so I could test drive it I guess? never dealt with a place like car max before.

(and yes, I'm shopping around right now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back