The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will remember that when I turn on my seat warmers on the way home!

So this past weekend I showed 15 year old Junior RG how to change the oil in a car. He actually seemed to take an interest in it...two years ago I tried to enlist him as a helper one a brake replacement job I was doing and he wasn't too keen on giving a shit.. maybe the closer they get to driving the more of an interest they take...

I had taken a year & half hiatus from changing my own oil when we moved & I didn't have the stuff handy to do it (I kept the tools boxed up when we were at the rental house). yeah its a hassle, now I have to dump this used motor oil on my neighbors lawn at night.. and I apparently up-selled myself on an air filer, cabin filter ,and some other shit (damn I have to stop talking to myself)

Any automotive store will take your used oil. But I'm lazy and pour it down the storm sewer.

(J/K!)

Ordered CR1632 for my fob key. Replacement should arrive next week. Hope the current battery doesn't die while I'm driving to OH.

Got a decent amount of work done on the car during my vacation. Driver's side "door" is mounted and now latches with a nifty cable latch setup from McMaster. The fiberglass is too flimsy around the "window frame", so I will be cutting the door in half and permanently affixing the top half to the car so only the bottom half of the door opens/closes.

Welded a bunch of dzus tabs on for the passenger side door, which will just be pinned on and otherwise non-functional.

Brackets to hold on front brake ducts were welded and brake ducts mounted. I can now remove the nose of the car while the duct work stays in place.

Got my side skirts framed out. I do need to make a forward support bracket for them, as they're not as rigid as they need to be to handle bumps/debris.

Once that is done, I need to make a radiator intake duct which should take me an afternoon. Also need to make a new splitter for the car, also not a big deal. Then its on to electrical, plumbing, and body work. My goal was to have it done by late February to have it on display at the Motorsports Expo in Charlotte. I don't think that's going to happen, but it almost seems like there's an end in sight where there wasn't before.

photo 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Supe,

What about your car you mentioned in Asheville? Any word on that paint job?
Nope. Though that reminds me, it's time to check in on the painter again in a few weeks to see if he's still alive...

This reminds me: Three months, no car ownership.
This is impressive. Are you still looking at getting one or officially decided to be car free?
I had said December, but I'm not ready. I told the used dealer I've been working with to check with me in the spring. He is really nice and said that he was impressed.

10846320_763963243684626_772757417698994296_n.jpg

Just me, the homeless and the drunks until I buy a used Jetta SportsWagen.

So they're now proposing a total rewrite of the rules for the class I was building my car for. Most of the rules are written around trying to keep assholes like me out of the class with severely hacked up lightweight bodies, etc. Found out who proposed the new rules, and it's a guy in a shitty BMW who runs the class but is considerably slower than the rest of the field.

Time to kill those proposed rules!

Ok dumb question..

I picked up a CB radio the other day (yeah Im bringing it back) - Hoping it will provide info and entertainment while driving through blizzards in the Rockies..

How do I wire the electric to the battery but rig it so that it only draws power when the ignition is switched to "on"?

Road Guy 70-70 - 10-9? Comeback wolfman!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back