The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other pics of that I saw on the interwebs yesterday were a lot more flattering. I don't like it at all.

So my father is picking up an Outback instead of buying my Saturn (it was local and the price was hard to beat). After driving the Blue Ridge Parkway painstakingly slow this weekend, I realized how much I miss having a fun street car, and I am torn - do I trade in the Saturn knowing I won't get shit in return and take on a payment for a used DD that I will enjoy more but won't be ideal, or do I suck it up and just drive the Astra until it fails? Or, do I buy another "fun" car cash and keep the Astra, e.g. C4 Corvette?

sounds like you want a fun DD and not just another toy, so why bother hanging on to the Saturn? I'd say pursue either of the other options (buying a less expensive fun car cash and sell the Saturn on your own, or trading the Saturn and getting something newer). Just adding another vehicle to the stable and hanging onto the Saturn seems superfluous to me.

sounds like you want a fun DD and not just another toy, so why bother hanging on to the Saturn? I'd say pursue either of the other options (buying a less expensive fun car cash and sell the Saturn on your own, or trading the Saturn and getting something newer). Just adding another vehicle to the stable and hanging onto the Saturn seems superfluous to me.

The only reason I would hang on to the Saturn would be that most other fun DD's will not allow me to transport the dogs, but the Saturn will. Also, the GF's CRV is getting up there in mileage, so it would be nice to have a backup just in case.

Some of what I've seen locally in the sub-$10K cash range includes older M3's (too expensive to maintain), some decent C4 Corvettes (possibility), and the occasional supercharged or tubo Miata, though its impossible not to look like a vagina in one.

those 70's bronco's were bad ass. they used to plow through places my CJ5 would have issues with... I don't like the futuristic look of it but if they make a more normal version I would seriously consider it (but it would have to have the 3 speed shift on the column)

It is my understand that the picture of the bronco that was posted is the 2004 concept.

I'm guessing that it now looks closer to this after 10 years:

2016-ford-bronco-april-fools-day.jpg

weren't the old broncos more or less an F150 that was shortened with a cab that extends all the way to the rear?

(although the caption in the picture does say April fools... :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Full-size Bronco vs the Bronco II.

Supe,

I vote fun daily driver. But I'm biased. Just be careful with modifying it.

2016 Ford Bronco coming back after 20 years
After about 20 years, Ford will be bringing back 2016 Ford Bronco with the concept discussed in 2004. This model is mostly based on Ford Atlas and if this becomes popular will again start the market of two doors 4 X 4 SUV. So you can understand that this is a two door vehicle with powerful engine of SUV category.

http://bestcarsof2015.com/2016-ford-bronco/

2016-Ford-Bronco-Concept-Front.jpg
well i hope it doesn't look like that...totally unoriginal. i see at least 3 different body styles of cars already on the market.

Full-size Bronco vs the Bronco II.

Supe,

I vote fun daily driver. But I'm biased. Just be careful with modifying it.

I have been seeing a lot of C4 Corvettes around here in great shape for sale in the $8k range (even the later LT1/LT4 models). The beauty about those, is that my boss knows everything about C4 vettes and has spares of pretty much every part imaginable since he races one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall that the optispark on the LT1 is trouble prone. I like the green '93.

I seem to recall that the optispark on the LT1 is trouble prone. I like the green '93.

They are, and they all will fail. Thankfully not as hard to replace on the Corvettes as it was the F bodies. You can actually do it just by removing the accessories. No need to pull the radiator, just the water pump. If you get a 95 or 96 model year, they used a vented optispark that is not as prone to failure.

Back