The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the market for these VW vans but I believe it's pretty strong. That being said, my gut instinct says their number is still way out of line and especially for something that needs the work specified. Overall it looks like it's in decent shape and has been cared for. Realistically I might go as high as $6k but not more than that (and yeah I'd start around $2500). You should do some research and see what comparable vehicles are going for.

Edit: I did a quick search on VW Westfalia for sale and it led me to this GoWest site. I'm amazed at the prices on these things. Based on their "sold" list $20k is a bargain :blink:

http://www.gowesty.com/classifieds.php

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess I question if you are going to spend a significant amount of money (and I consider anything over $3000 significant for a car), why wouldn't you want something that is easily worked on? Is this for your drive around vehicle or would you use it as a true conversion van?

I can say that having riden in plenty of these types of vehicles in college, the comfort level sucks, you can get high off of the engine fumes if you sit in the rear (I didn't look just assumed this had the engine in the rear like many of them).

I guess it sort of depends on your reasons for the purchase, but if you do get it, don't turn into the pretentious prick most hippies end up like.

I'm already a pretentious prick. This wouldn't be a drive around vehicle, because that's what my bike is for. This is a headed to the mountains vehicle, which is why I like the Subaru conversion. I still don't feel like I need a car.

Off to hug trees and shit and tell people they aren't living right.

I'm already a pretentious prick. This wouldn't be a drive around vehicle, because that's what my bike is for. This is a headed to the mountains vehicle, which is why I like the Subaru conversion. I still don't feel like I need a car.

Off to hug trees and shit and tell people they aren't living right.

The bike probably has more power for mountain climbing.

Off to hug trees....
633497684393653280-tree-huggers.jpg

It does look like fun for a small family for camping, honest question, will a 2.2 L really get a loaded van up into the mountains?

my 5.3 L V8 somewhat struggles when the Tahoe is loaded down driving up way into the mountains

Not at 80, but probably a lot better than the original engine. People report driving 70 mph up Vail Pass in the Subaru conversions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Begs the question, though - why not just buy a Subaru? Is it because you're not a lesbian?

I can't sleep in a Subaru, plus it doesn't have the neato pop up tent.

And...I'm not a lesbian.

I've also been considering a Sprinter van. Yesterday I saw three of them on my way back to the office from a meeting. It seemed like a sign. A super expensive sign, but a sign.

So is there an upstairs bunk where the tent pops up at?

We saw a lot of those at our campground at Yellowstone, but didn't get to close to look at them, the people using them looked gluten free to me..

when the kids are gone I envision getting one of those small tear drop trailers, we like to camp, lots of shit to see out here, but when I am in my 50's a mattress will be nice..

IIRC on the original vanagons that popup tent is above the van roof with an access hatch, so you sleep on the roof under the tent.

We saw a lot of those at our campground at Yellowstone, but didn't get to close to look at them, the people using them looked gluten free to me..

Many of them it's just extra headroom to stand at the sink.

I was raised by people who had this complete set:

foxfire-books.jpg

The bimmer finally passed inspection! After spending a ton of money on repairs and tires, the check engine light came on a day before the sticker expired. Cylinder 4 misfire... I cleared it and spent the weekend driving a bit hoping it wouldn't come back. It didn't, so I now have till next July to find another car.

Back