The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomato plant needs to be staked! And had 27 flowers at last count. The pepper plant is taking its sweet time. I wonder if its pot is too small... It's in a slightly smaller pot than the tomato plant.

I have four pepper plants that need staked, maybe 5.  Anchos can't handle the weight of their own leaves, neither can the spicy bells.

My dead ghost pepper plant has made a comeback!  It was literally about 4" of stalk with one dead leaf hanging off of it after the dogs dug it up.  4 days of NC cloud cover and rain, and it's about a foot tall with a bunch of new growth!

The Mad Hatters are coming along slow, as are (really surprisingly) the Tabasco, but everything else is doing real well.  The reaper leaves are getting HUGE - they were definitely constricted by pot size last year.  The struggling habanero finally has its feet under it and is about 2/3 the size of its brother.  Our first ancho chili has made an appearance, as have about half a dozen jalapenos and a sweet snacking pepper.  One of the others has fruited too, I just can't remember which one.

Edit: It was the hot banana!

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo! The green beans I planted from seed are sprouting which is good since the stalks I bought arent doing great.

Something is also digging, see corner. And we have mushrooms growing on the outside of the boards on 3 sides

20190612_123225.jpg

with only one day above 90 so far this summer I don't think well have any "maters" this year,  its also snowing in the mountains today so I may just go ahead and buy vegetables at sprouts :(

It's been so cold and rainy (barely hit 80, let alone 90) that our garden is doing terrible.  Supposed to get warm (80s) and sunny this week so maybe things will perk up.

It's been so cold and rainy (barely hit 80, let alone 90) that our garden is doing terrible.  Supposed to get warm (80s) and sunny this week so maybe things will perk up.
We've had 2 80+ days here so far (one was yesterday lol). Which I'm happy about lol. Boyfriend sent me a pic of the garden, it seems to be doing good even with all of our rain here too

I have 2 beans! The pole bean plants I bought from the farmers market are flowering and 2 of the plants each have 1 bean.

We staked them with twine so they could vine and one has taken off - it's twisted up around the pole almost to the top lol

the tomato plant from boyfriend's coworker has a couple of flowers.

And 5 of the 6 zucchini plants( 🤦‍♀️) are looking good with 2 of them with many flowers and the beginnings of squash.

Pretty sure the cucumber plants won't make it, i think the zucchini plants are overcrowding them.

Already looking at what we'll do for next year - build at least 2 more beds.

Had to rip out all of the hydophonic plants in the basement but he's building a new setup that'll be able to have 72 plants going - I've begged him to not have all 72 but I don't think I've won that. So many salads in our future. 

We are having a great year for the tomatoes, peppers, and herbs.  We have already multiple harvests and have brought extras to work.  We tried container  grown zuchinni, but they keep rotting before the get big enough to harvest. 

Any other suggestions for container grown vegtables?

Last edited by a moderator:
We've finally had a couple weeks of 80+ degrees and the garden is taking off.  Had some really good strawberries a couple weeks ago and some lettuce last week, but otherwise nothing to harvest yet. . .

We've finally had a couple weeks of 80+ degrees and the garden is taking off.  Had some really good strawberries a couple weeks ago and some lettuce last week, but otherwise nothing to harvest yet. . .
It's been so hot here that I have had to pull out dead / dying plants....

Not my gardening, per se, but my CSA is amazing this year!  I'm allowed to customize what I get so I've toned down the bok choi this week and really excited for baby leeks!
Jealous!

I had to pawn off some of my CSA on my best friend and mother. 

I'm drowning in leafy greens. But my farmer is amazing and her produce lasts so well, even if you screw up storing it.

Jealous!

I had to pawn off some of my CSA on my best friend and mother. 

I'm drowning in leafy greens. But my farmer is amazing and her produce lasts so well, even if you screw up storing it.
Same here!  We have so many leafy greens and I haven't eaten any of it so far, since I keep getting distracted eating the other stuff.  I'm thinking escarole scrambled eggs tonight, just to cook it down and use it.  So much cilantro, I love it, but 3 bunches?  Oooof.  But ditto on the storing: it seems like stuff I get from my share lasts way longer than in the store (like, salad mix lasting for a week or more as opposed to a couple days otherwise).

Same here!  We have so many leafy greens and I haven't eaten any of it so far, since I keep getting distracted eating the other stuff.  I'm thinking escarole scrambled eggs tonight, just to cook it down and use it.  So much cilantro, I love it, but 3 bunches?  Oooof.  But ditto on the storing: it seems like stuff I get from my share lasts way longer than in the store (like, salad mix lasting for a week or more as opposed to a couple days otherwise).
Thankfully no cilantro yet.

The mint I got on 1 Jul isn't quite making it. But that's fine. I have a mint plants anyway lol

I'm pretty sure tonight's dinner is going to involve sauteed swiss chard and/or kale with eggs. It's so much.

And now boyfriend is like "I can have 72 plants in my new hydrophonic set up! I'm doing leafy greens!" and I'm sitting here like "save me please" 

He's not being super helpful in the eating of the CSA .

I picked my 2 pole beans yesterday! And saw 2 small green tomatoes on the plant we got from his coworker!!!! 

Thankfully no cilantro yet.

The mint I got on 1 Jul isn't quite making it. But that's fine. I have a mint plants anyway lol

I'm pretty sure tonight's dinner is going to involve sauteed swiss chard and/or kale with eggs. It's so much.

And now boyfriend is like "I can have 72 plants in my new hydrophonic set up! I'm doing leafy greens!" and I'm sitting here like "save me please" 

He's not being super helpful in the eating of the CSA .

I picked my 2 pole beans yesterday! And saw 2 small green tomatoes on the plant we got from his coworker!!!! 
I have tried to plant mint, but it wont even germinate.. Everything else has been growing from tomatoes to eggplants but this mint that supposedly spreads like a weed wont grow! 

Back