The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next weekend garden... next weekend...

(Pic taken last night)

2a2e31d64b3b8626d9c1a72d7c786d48.jpg

Got another bag of mint from my coworker.  I think she is excited that nobody refused her mint.  Going to give it to my mom when they get back from upstate.  My cacti are not doing too well...I feel like I'm either watering them too much, or too little.  I am a horrible plant caretaker.

We're supposed to be getting severe thunderstorms in a couple days, with 40MPH+ winds.  Which means my weekend is going to be picking up sticks, sticks, and more sticks.  BUT maybe my mom will let me use her industrial hand clippers so I can go after that stupid vine that keeps growing!

Got another bag of mint from my coworker.  I think she is excited that nobody refused her mint.  Going to give it to my mom when they get back from upstate.  My cacti are not doing too well...I feel like I'm either watering them too much, or too little.  I am a horrible plant caretaker.

We're supposed to be getting severe thunderstorms in a couple days, with 40MPH+ winds.  Which means my weekend is going to be picking up sticks, sticks, and more sticks.  BUT maybe my mom will let me use her industrial hand clippers so I can go after that stupid vine that keeps growing!
don't water until the soil is dry. it's worse to overwater than to underwater!

Boyfriend sent me a picture of my plant babies last night. The zucchinis are doing well. Pretty sure we'll be drowning in zukes this summer. Which is fine, I love them. I *think* we're past the frost so we can transplant this weekend - regardless, I'll be cleaning up the area.

I'm really excited about this lol

G-danged dogs dug up my ghost pepper plant.  I don't think its going to make it, not in this heat.  I wonder if anyone local has any left?

We cleaned up the garden bed and got new dirt. Went to Home Depot after a long bike ride, neither of us did math correctly at first but then I caught our issue LOL ( he said he wanted 3in of depth but kept calculating using 1ft of depth so we would've had to buy A LOT of bags to cover the area lol)

Brought most of the plants outside and bought 2 new ones at the farmers market (pickling cukes and a pole bean plant)

And then, while he was stoking the fire and I was grilling, I went on a tirade of raking his backyard. And I'm not even done and I think I've raked enough for like 6 bags. He never raked last fall and I'm not sure if he raked in 2017 either... But yeah, more raking and planting in my future. I have grand ideas for his backyard and I don't even live there but at least I'm putting in the work so he really doesn't care. The previous-previous owner of his house had gorgeous gardens outback but the last owner didn't do anything with them so there's a lot to clean up from that too. 

Ramble ramble, I don't even have a green thumb

Got most of the garden in over the weekend.  The rhubarb, strawberries and horseradish are doing great.  Wife wants to can a lot of tomatoes this year so we have 30 tomato plants.  Several sweet peppers, a bunch of tabascos (so the wife can make pepper sauce since you can't buy it up here), a few cucumbers, squash, zucchinis, onion, kale, collards, eggplant, cabbage.  Still need to plant the peas, okra and green beans.  Probably a bit late for the peas but we'll see what happens.

garden 1.jpg

My ghost pepper plant is officially dead.  RIP.

Now its just a ghost, because there is no pepper plant.

Transplanted everything outside. May regret 6 zucchini plants, didnt think all 6 would sprout. The tall tomato plant is from a coworker of my boyfriends. The beans (far end) are from a local farmer, same with the cuke plants next to it. I also planted a couple more cucumber seeds because I love cukes. 

But last weekend, we turned the soil and got more soil. Got some nice big fat worms in there.

I also went a raking spree in his backyard. He never raked last fall. So I raked maybe a third of his backyard. The previous owner didn't do anything in the yard but the owner before that had gorgeous gardens back there that had been ignored for like 15 years. 6 50gal bags of leaves and plants later, it looks better but still more clean up to do.

20190531_180157.jpg

20190601_192211.jpg

installed the garden Saturday, Saturday afternoon we had 1/4" hail for about 30 minutes, lucky I was at home I put some buckets and stuff over the plants, but if I hadn't been home would have been out $55 bucks in plants!

Yes, yes you will :)  

those 6 zucchini could easily take over that spot. Not to mention the 72 zucchinis per week you'll be harvesting. You can always save just one of the transplants. Save the healthiest one.  
I expect to pull the smallest plant out soon. Zukes freeze well tho and my fave muffin recipe uses grated zucchini. I didn't expect all 6 to make it through the egg crate process.

Back