The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought four plastic raised bed planters from BJ's for Mother's Day. Plan is to rip out the existing raised bed which is half gone anyways due to board rot, level it, put down edging/gravel, and plop the boxes on top. This will keep them away from the dogs/rabbits and give them more sunlight, while also having less grass to mow.

Not my house, but the bottom picture is my plan for my butterfly garden. I can pre-order flowers from the botanical garden in april for may pickup

View attachment 27140
I'm trying to grow milkweed in my garden, but after one attempt of starting it indoors after artificial stratification and another attempt of starting early outdoors, I'm probably just going to have to wait until fall. Unless by some miracle that the second attempt actually starts growing.

In addition I have roma tomatoes, serrano perppers, and cucumbers that I started from seeds. Then I just bought some basil, oregano, broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce. I also bought some strawberry plants a few weeks ago that seem to be doing okay.

I'm trying to grow milkweed in my garden, but after one attempt of starting it indoors after artificial stratification and another attempt of starting early outdoors, I'm probably just going to have to wait until fall. Unless by some miracle that the second attempt actually starts growing.

In addition I have roma tomatoes, serrano perppers, and cucumbers that I started from seeds. Then I just bought some basil, oregano, broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce. I also bought some strawberry plants a few weeks ago that seem to be doing okay.
None of the milkweed I started survived. The animals ate all the shoots when I placed the tray outside. Same with all the sunflowers. I ended up buying prestarted milkweed along with the rest of the flowers.

Not a garden, but I got a magnolia tree for my birthday last year (late November). I wasn't expecting much out of it this year since it's only been in the ground for ~6 months. I was mowing the other day and noticed it was losing a lot of leaves, so I was worried that I might have killed it. But yesterday, I noticed a TON of new leaves sprouting, and I already have two giant buds. I definitely was not expecting this thing to bloom in Year 1.

I am sad my magnolia tree did not flower this year. We had a late frost that killed the flowers. On the positive side, less flower petals to rake. It was insane last year. Picture below not from this year.

1652888381654.png

Back