The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried to plant mint, but it wont even germinate.. Everything else has been growing from tomatoes to eggplants but this mint that supposedly spreads like a weed wont grow! 
I have mine in a container and I got it at the farmers market.

I wouldnt call my mint plant a resounding success even with someone else doing most of the work. It's pretty resilient but it didn't like the 5 days I was out of the office for the holiday lol 

I have mine in a container and I got it at the farmers market.

I wouldnt call my mint plant a resounding success even with someone else doing most of the work. It's pretty resilient but it didn't like the 5 days I was out of the office for the holiday lol 
One of these days im hoping for semi-success even.. so you are already way ahead lol

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days im hoping for semi-success even.. so you are already way ahead lol
so cheat like i did and buy a plant LOL

i was going to try to grow it in a container from a clipping from a coworker but our growing season this year is sooooo behind due to have much rain we've had. And we've just finally hit 80F days like 2 weeks ago and our 1st 90F day was in the last couple of days too. 

I think earlier this thread I mentioned my mom getting some chocolate mint.  It has overgrown both of the huge pots she planted it it.  When I mentioned re-potting she shrugged and said, "Mint is tricky.  It's trying to trick me into thinking it's going to die, but mint never dies.  It just waits."

And then she hummed and started playing with her pepper transplants.

my mom idek

F*cking slugs/bugs are back and attacking my peppers again!

Boyfriend says he can see the zucchini blossoms from the back window now. The garden is like 50ft from the window and up a hill!
Can't wait to see the garden tonight!!!!

My garden has been destroyed by groundhogs. I bought a motion sensor sprinkler which is keeping them away (I think). The plants are recovering, but I don't think they'll produce anything. 

PresentLittleIraniangroundjay-max-1mb.gif

I've gotten 11 pole beans and 2 zucchini so far.

There'll be another few pole beans and regular green beans to pick soon. One of the cucumber plants has 2 small small cukes on it! And one of our tomato plants has 4 green tomatoes, the others have blossoms. And another zucchini will be able to be picked soon.

But I dont think 2 of the zucchini plants will produce, which is fine, I planted six. And one of the cucumer plants got overshadowed by the zukes. We had to cage one of the zuke plants since it's so top heavy with leaves, it was like starting to unplant itself... And it looks like 2 or 3 of our zuke plants had someone or something cut off some of the leaves at the base of the leaves so there's just a stalk... 

My cucumbers died... i am truly upset. Gone for five days during the heat wave, came back all wilted.. overwatered and root rot got em.  Do you guys think if i replanted new seeds they would grow and produce before the first frost??

My cucumbers died... i am truly upset. Gone for five days during the heat wave, came back all wilted.. overwatered and root rot got em.  Do you guys think if i replanted new seeds they would grow and produce before the first frost??

It's about 2 months from sowing to harvesting for cucumbers.  So you might have a couple weeks to harvest cukes in September before it gets too cold for them to produce, but I wouldn't count on it because they don't grow well in lower temperatures.

the heat we got last week gave me my first red tomato before August ever here - pretty stoked!

Ugh I'm jealous! Our tomato plant has decided to sprout more tomatoes and not ripen the oldest/biggest ones, which are still not nearly ready for harvesting.

The potential that our first tomatoes will be ripen while we're off on our honeymoon seems likely to me right now. 

The pepper plant is taking it's sweet time, too. But has solid growth on one pepper and is in the process of starting three more!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've harvested a bunch of my green beans and my little cucumber is growing! 

I'm so excited to see my garden tomorrow night!

have about 20 zucchini and 8 or so summer squash.  cabbages are doing great, lots of coleslaw and sauerkraut in our future!

Took some cayenne and Thai chili peppers last night and made up a jar of hot pepper sauce. It might be a tad hot. We'll see...

The very first tomato to have sprouted suddenly has changed color to yellow! Be still my heart!

It's still pretty small though.  One fun thing is that the two biggest tomatoes to be growing right now are very noticeably different shapes!

We've harvested a bunch of cucumbers, a zucchini, quite a few peas and some jalapenos.  Made some refrigerator pickles yesterday.

Back