Texas Mansion dangling over cliff

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's true, If memory serves me correct PA is one of those states. Here, depending upon the municipality the muni engineer may or may not be involved. My reason for assuming so was due to the geological conditions. It's just odd to me that building setback relief wsn't sought for this case at which point a closer second look should have been given to it.

what on earth would cost more than $100 for an oil change?
9 quarts of Mobile 1 (dealer rate of $8/quart), plus filter, plus labor. And that doesn't cover the rest of the service. With coupon, I can usually get everything done for ~$110.

I'm curious as to what type of rock this is.
Limestone
Thanks Tex, I knew you would chime on this. That being said, I expected the answer to be limestone at which point what a dope to build there, and why didn't anyone on a municipal level say something about this.
It probably wasn't the limestone that was the issue...probably has interbedded clays that shrink and swell leading to that big block dropping off into the lake (those block slumps are pretty common here). It also looks like there might be a fault there, and significant amount of fill on the property. The science behind what happened should be pretty interesting...Wonder if they used a PE?

yeah. the link envirotex posted shows the process. it's always fun to burn stuff.

if you build a house on an unstable cliff face, does your homeowner's insurance cover your dumbass move?

not really paid to look the other way but told to look the other way, then the staff person over development review makes a note to the file that says "on such and such date I was directed by so and so to accept this ______________"

Well if they are smart they are documenting those decisions..because when something like this happens the county managers and politicians usually have bad memories..

probably for residential construction an engineer wasnt involved in where this acutal house was placed, you know some states even let surveyors submit plats and do drainage. without an engineer involved....

There is a great deal of truth here. I've had the misfortune of dealing with scumbag politicians and their appointed goons. Just last week we had a developer that was wanting us to give him the farm and I found another way to make our project work to bypass him all together. My boss loved the idea and was totally onboard because the developer had been talking shit to my boss for about a month. My boss is sick of this guy and has asked me to find another way and I did. After my boss reported the news to the developer he wasn't all that pleased. Before lunch the next day we got an email from our director that said, "you will build......" basically what the developer wanted. I've dealt with the developer before and he usually starts out by degrading the person he's on the phone with and is very condescending. I usually hang up on him and don't listen to that garbage - hey I wonder if that's the reason why I can't get promoted??? The costs to build this project was nearly $500k more than the alternative I found. My boss shrugs and says, "it's not our money." I'm certain whatever governing body approved this house was heavily influenced by the developer. Bribes, gifts, and threats go a long way. It would be nice to see these political hacks held accountable for making these decisions and exposed for what they are.

Since when is a 4,000 sf house considered a mansion? I'm by no means saying that it is small, but a mansion? Obviously it makes for a better headline.

Since when is a 4,000 sf house considered a mansion? I'm by no means saying that it is small, but a mansion? Obviously it makes for a better headline.

That was the footage after half of it fell off a cliff.

I work for the government and I very rarely call anybody.

I used to call like a normal person until I told a contractor via phone, "Do not do X." The next day, my boss ripped my tail, "The contractor is out there doing X and they said you specifically told them they could do it."

Since then, every key communication is email... says exactly what was communicated and when.

not really paid to look the other way but told to look the other way, then the staff person over development review makes a note to the file that says "on such and such date I was directed by so and so to accept this ______________"

Well if they are smart they are documenting those decisions..because when something like this happens the county managers and politicians usually have bad memories..

probably for residential construction an engineer wasnt involved in where this acutal house was placed, you know some states even let surveyors submit plats and do drainage. without an engineer involved....
Michigan allows site plans to be completed by architects also. One of my PE mentors told me, "Getting a site plan signed by an architect is like getting a gift wrapped in newspaper; you don't know what's inside but you know it won't be anything you want."

Back