Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VT: from personal experience with a long-haired dog hit by a skunk, the magic solution to get rid of the smell and clean him up is a pre-packaged, pre-mixed vinegar and water solution made by companies like Massengill. :true: This is from a recommendation by the dog groomer.

It is the acid in the tomato juice that neutralizes the smell. Vinegar is acidic and does the same thing. The diluted solution is gentler on the dog's eyes / ears / face (as opposed to straight vinegar). It comes in pre-mixed disposable squirt bottles for ease of preparation and disposal. The vinegar and water solution is a LOT less messy, gooey than tomato juice and you can pretty much just throw the dog in the shower (or in the yard now), wash him down with the "solution", hose him down, and dry him off with a towel.

We now keep a package of several bottles on hand for just such emergencies.

We used to use the tomato juice and that was really a freakin' mess. This stuff works so much better. Prude that I am, I hate buying it at the store, so I send the wife. Of course, I then have the task of cleaning the dog. She wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just spent the better part of two weeks generating output reports for the calculation from hell. This morning I get an email asking if I knew two of the motors were going from 60 hp each to 150 hp each. Oh, and by the way, can you incorporate that in the model and still meet the impossible deadline?

One of the good things about working from home is that the client can't hear me swearing.

^Luckily, he didn't get to hear it either. My office is pretty isolated and I got the email before anybody else in the house was awake.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I feel better now. And I'm off tomorrow. I just have to make it through 3 1/2 hrs.

VT: from personal experience with a long-haired dog hit by a skunk, the magic solution to get rid of the smell and clean him up is a pre-packaged, pre-mixed vinegar and water solution made by companies like Massengill. This is from a recommendation by the dog groomer.
I've heard feminine products work well for that too. I got some deodorizer for the house, and the vet suggested a baking soda-hydrogen peroxide mix for the dog. We did two rounds of that, and while it's not perfect, its much better than it was.

Plus his coat has lovely highlights for the summer now. :D

I've heard feminine products work well for that too. I got some deodorizer for the house, and the vet suggested a baking soda-hydrogen peroxide mix for the dog. We did two rounds of that, and while it's not perfect, its much better than it was.
Plus his coat has lovely highlights for the summer now. :D
I'll bet all the other dogs are jealous.

As far as cats go, I could take 'em or leave 'em. It's nice when they snuggle up in your lap and they are low maintenance, but they are aloof most of the time.

Plus the cat I have now is a nasty little bastard. He'll walk by and bite or scratch you for no reason. And there's about 2 square inches of him you can pet without having your hand taken off.

He's definitely turning me off to cats at this point. I would never get rid of him or do anything, but if I came home and saw that he got loose, I wouldn't be heart broken either.

As far as cats go, I could take 'em or leave 'em. It's nice when they snuggle up in your lap and they are low maintenance, but they are aloof most of the time.
Plus the cat I have now is a nasty little bastard. He'll walk by and bite or scratch you for no reason. And there's about 2 square inches of him you can pet without having your hand taken off.

He's definitely turning me off to cats at this point. I would never get rid of him or do anything, but if I came home and saw that he got loose, I wouldn't be heart broken either.
Our cats are nice cats, but I think there are some with VERY poor dispositions. Our male (fixed) cat acts more like a dog. He even fetches. i grew up with dogs and my wife was a cat person. So... we have cats. Now that I just about killed myself putting in hardwood flooring, NO DOGS. And last year, I was thinking very hard about a dog for the girls. But, with a new baby in the house, I don't want another "baby". Dogs are a lot of work, and need a lot of attention. If I don't spend time with the cats for 2 weeks, they could care less. We also don't have to really worry about them if we go on vacation. So, cats have their place in our lives, and unless we move... I'm not seeing a dog in our future. But dogs do seem to be a little more "human"...

^ The main reason we have this cat is that my wife got him when she started grad school and was living alone in an apartment. We're both firmly in the dog person camp.

Now that I just about killed myself putting in hardwood flooring, NO DOGS.
I kinda like having wood floors because its easier to clean up accidents. And with carpeting, the doggy smell works its way into it after a while. The upstairs is carpeted, and could use a good steam cleaning at this point in my opinion.

And now for my 'I just had a real crappy weekend' scream: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks! My folks came up to visit. Long story short, I couldn't coax them off the couch all weekend, despite the nice weather. We threw all the options: walk, picnic, movie, board game, etc. and got a luke warm response for all of them. By yesterday afternoon we were all just sitting in my living room, staring at our feet. Felt like I was in a waiting room.

Thanks! My folks came up to visit. Long story short, I couldn't coax them off the couch all weekend, despite the nice weather. We threw all the options: walk, picnic, movie, board game, etc. and got a luke warm response for all of them. By yesterday afternoon we were all just sitting in my living room, staring at our feet. Felt like I was in a waiting room.
Man, that stinks. Sounds like an opportunity missed. Sorry, VT.

And of course by the time they left, and we did groceries, laundry, etc. it was to late to start much of anything!

It's not all the time you get a weekend here in the summer that isn't too rainy, too humid, too hot, etc. So when you get a good one, take advantage of it! If I had my way my butt would have been firmly entrenched in a canoe all afternoon.

Back