Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had to roll over my 401k twice before, and both times I rolled it into my IRA. I have MANY more investment options with my IRA than I do with my 401k. I'm pretty active with my investments, so having it in a IRA makes it easy for me to buy/sell. The investment options usually provided by companies for 401k accounts are okay, but with my IRA gains have smoked my 401k gains because of the better options. I use Merrill Edge and I just pick investments that don't require fees. Merrill has select stocks/funds that don't require me to pay fees as well (though, I have had to pay fees on Vangaurd funds, but I don't own any of those anymore).

I think 401k's are great for the employer match, but they usually don't allow you to select options that will out perform the standard target retirement funds.

our deffered comp used to have nice growth options that really made money in addition to the targeted retirement funds, but they got rid of them.  We now have the targeted funds then some really bad no growth options, so I switched to the targeted retirement fund because that was the only place that is making $ 

Every time I get that Social Security Summary I wish they would give me half of it and let me roll it into an IRA and never get another dime from them..

Good golly. Snickette's torso just got longer again, Her legs stayed the same. Going to need to buy new shirts AGAIN. She is going to have a super long torso like her Dad. Minisnick is all leg like me, he already wears pants with a longer length than his Dad.

irksome...ordered a special size battery for the alarm clock from amazon because I couldn't find it locally. It arrived yesterday, but it wasn't the correct battery. The label said the right thing, but it was stuck to a battery that was about half the size it should have been. Someone mislabeled something at the warehouse. They are resending it, but my guess it will be another mismarked product.

Does A- not exist anymore? Honestly? Shouldn’t a 93 be an A, not even an A-?

Or am I showing my age here? Haha!

Does A- not exist anymore? Honestly? Shouldn’t a 93 be an A, not even an A-?

Or am I showing my age here? Haha!
I know!! Technically the 93% is a B+, but still. according to their grade scale 70% is failing.

but i agree, i must be old. When did this stuff change???

On a related note, in my college Physics 1 class I got a 91% and my professor curved the class down, so I wound up with a B+. I will never get over it.
THat is why I didn't take my computer science requirement at my university. The class is graded on a curve and CS majors took the class at the same time as non-CS majors. So even if you got a B you could still fail if all the CS majors did really well.

So I took it at my local community college over the summer and learned FORTRAN.

THat is why I didn't take my computer science requirement at my university. The class is graded on a curve and CS majors took the class at the same time as non-CS majors. So even if you got a B you could still fail if all the CS majors did really well.

So I took it at my local community college over the summer and learned FORTRAN.
There seems something majorly wrong with that.

"Look, I know you did worse than this other person, but I'm gonna arbitrarily change it so you did worse than worse."

No student should ever be graded based on the performance of another student.

That's just the way big university worked...weed out classes. Not sure if that sort of thing is still allowed now.
I'm just happy my advisor told me about during our pre-scheduling counseling appt for my freshman year. Lots of friends squeaked by with C's in the CS class. My advisor had been a student there in undergrad and was full of tips and tricks on working the system. Like take this list of classes at a community collage over summer breaks. Try to take these gen. electives since they count in multiple course requirement categories. I ended up only needing to take 11 credits my last semester.

I actually got my degree in Ocean Engineering...basically Civil with some extra classes about hydrology, tides, currents, etc. thrown in. In fact, we took most of our classes with the other CE students. Our Structures class was a bunch of CE's and then 7 or 8 of us were OE's. Made it about 1/3 of the way through the semester before we figured out the professor was really lazy. He'd pull his exams and quizzes from the example problems in the previous years' text books. You'd go to the library and the whole class would be in there passing around the old textbooks. Come final exam time, all the CE's got A's. All the OE's, and only the OE's, got 0's "because we cheated".

The group of us went to the Engineering Department and gave them the lowdown. We got our A's and they decided not to keep that prof. around which also meant he had to go back to France since he was on a work visa.

I actually got my degree in Ocean Engineering...basically Civil with some extra classes about hydrology, tides, currents, etc. thrown in. In fact, we took most of our classes with the other CE students. Our Structures class was a bunch of CE's and then 7 or 8 of us were OE's. Made it about 1/3 of the way through the semester before we figured out the professor was really lazy. He'd pull his exams and quizzes from the example problems in the previous years' text books. You'd go to the library and the whole class would be in there passing around the old textbooks. Come final exam time, all the CE's got A's. All the OE's, and only the OE's, got 0's "because we cheated".

The group of us went to the Engineering Department and gave them the lowdown. We got our A's and they decided not to keep that prof. around which also meant he had to go back to France since he was on a work visa.
Honestly, if I was the department, I'd have given everyone a W and made them repeat the class. Since it would have been obvious nobody learned a damn thing and it was a sham because of said professor's laziness.

In either case, good on you for standing up to that!

Well, that is cockamamie BS. Good for you guys. I had a prof who lectured straight out of our textbook, and I would just take notes in my book when he added a step or something. One day he said "You know, this will be on the exam", and I was like, I know, I'm taking notes. The exams were open book/notes, so it was not like I needed to waste additional paper to write down pretty much word for word what the book said.

Well, that is cockamamie BS. Good for you guys. I had a prof who lectured straight out of our textbook, and I would just take notes in my book when he added a step or something. One day he said "You know, this will be on the exam", and I was like, I know, I'm taking notes. The exams were open book/notes, so it was not like I needed to waste additional paper to write down pretty much word for word what the book said.
This was exactly my way of studying in college, ha! I was a firm believer of thinking writing it myself would help me learn. I still do think I retain stuff better when I write it by hand, but have almost lost exclusively to digital records for work and personal life. I do still write cards by hand though!!

Back