Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah legally you can open anything that gets delivered to your house regardless of whose name is on it..

I get so much crap from the previous owners (going on 7 year) that I just put it straight in the trash.. and they still get their 401K bank statements sent to our house.. smh.... 
But, um, do you get anything from AAA?

We get lots of mail for the previous owner of our house, but since she passed shortly after we put the offer on the house, I don't think she really cares.  But we know a lot about her political opinions and social life.

The saddest was we got a card from an old friend of hers who didn't know about her death.  I think it had a new phone number or something in it (must have, otherwise how would I have the number?), so I called to let her know that her friend had passed away.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah legally you can open anything that gets delivered to your house regardless of whose name is on it..

I get so much crap from the previous owners (going on 7 year) that I just put it straight in the trash.. and they still get their 401K bank statements sent to our house.. smh.... 
That’s different from getting a package with the wrong address on it.   There’s a lot of things that are legal but not necessarily moral.

@jean15paul_PEno excuse needed but Would you be happy if it was your package that erroneously got delivered to the wrong address and someone opened it...just because and then made no effort to correct the situation?

That’s different from getting a package with the wrong address on it.   There’s a lot of things that are legal but not necessarily moral.

@jean15paul_PEno excuse needed but Would you be happy if it was your package that erroneously got delivered to the wrong address and someone opened it...just because and then made no effort to correct the situation?
I dunno, seems like they made an honest mistake that a lot of people, including myself, could have easily done.  And it sounded like it got delivered to you the next day?  Unless they sat on it for a long time with no intention of fixing the situation then I don't really get the "people suck" vibe out of that.

Maybe they could have tried to deliver it to you personally, but in this day and age it's not always a safe thing to do.  I have a coworker who had a gun pointed at him for attempting to deliver something to the wrong house.  When I've gotten packages that aren't intended for our address I take them back to the post office because I don't know what I might encounter trying to drop it off myself.  And if they're a minority then just forget it, since they could easily be profiled as a burglar and killed over something like that.  Yes, people suck.

Meh. If they open the external shipping box but didn't open the contents, that wouldn't bother me. Not resolving the situation is a bigger concern. I've always brought it to the right house when I've got a neighbor's package.

For the first few years after we bought the house, I would write, "moved. No forwarding address" on stuff that came for the previous owner and put it back in the mailbox. It's been almost 11 years, now I just toss it.

yeah I dont go out of my way to open shit but it does happen,  our first christmas here we were going through XMAS cards and that was how we learned the previous owner of the house (husband) was in prison, because he mailed his jail stationary Christmas card from prison with a sad note about him being sorry he was in prison (never learned why)

But he was at closing when we bought the house so we dont know why he mailed it the house he didnt own anymore..

& sadly I never learned why he was in prison..

New bank doesn't accept hand-written checks or wire transfers. Old bank won't issue cashier's check, bank checks, or money orders.

This is so stupid.

New bank doesn't accept hand-written checks or wire transfers. Old bank won't issue cashier's check, bank checks, or money orders.

This is so stupid.
so what do you have to do???? weird. they don't talk to each other? 

and do you mean into an IRA? i haven't been able to combine 401ks specifically 

I've rolled over past 401k's to new 401k's at least twice before. This is the only time it's actually giving me trouble. In the past, it's been incredibly simple.

My current option is to roll over my old 401k into an IRA at the old bank, but I don't really want to do that... I want all my moneys in the same account, my new 401k.

The stupid thing now is that my 401k money apparently isn't in my old Charles Schwab 401k anymore... It's in some account my former employer has to pay out us employees who leave, which is where it went after I sold all my securities (converted them to cash). Which is fine and all, except I technically do not have access to that money at all right now.

To add to the fun, my old employer uses a third party company (who I still don't really get what they do) to help them manage all of this... Which just adds another layer to talking to my old boss, this third party company, my old 401k bank (Charles Schwab), and my new 401k bank (ADP).

Are these really small banks? How is the old bank giving you the money? Cash?

Can you have them send you the money via wire transfer to your personal account, then have your bank send them a "typed" check via mail ( bank draft or whatever its called)

I had to do something similar, was paranoid that by depositing the first check I would get nailed to the cross on taxes but I just had to show that I sent that check into another retirement account.

No, Charles Schwab and ADP (which I didn't even know had a bank, but apparently they do?).

I could maybe do what you're saying, RG, but no one has suggested it to me... The issue is, currently, that I think my former employer has to write the check, but ADP does not accept hand-written checks, and Charles Schwab is not able to issue me a bank check (whatever that is) with the balance of my account. That might have something to do with this third party management company.

I'm basically convinced that my old employer, as is very like them, picked the absolute cheapest way to offer 401k's to their employees, and it's through this third party company, which is causing me issues.

ADP's instructions are to get a bank check made out to them, that gets sent to me so I can add some additional info to it... But I can't get the bank check from Charles Schwab, which is quite annoying.

sorry @leggo PE. This sounds stupid and frustrating.
It's okay; it's very much first world problems. I just don't get why it is so complicated. I just got off the phone with the guy from the third party plan management company, and he was like, "I don't get why it's this hard either". He was the one who suggested rolling it over to a Charles Schwab Rollover IRA, like tj suggested. So that might be the path I end up taking... But I'm not done talking to all the people I need to talk to to answer my outstanding questions.

@leggo PE I would second/third the idea of rolling into an IRA instead of your new 401k.  You have little control over the investment options in a 401k, but you can invest in anything you want in an IRA.  I'd love to be able to roll my 401k into an IRA so I could pick what to invest in, but you can't do it while you still work for that employer.

@leggo PE I would second/third the idea of rolling into an IRA instead of your new 401k.  You have little control over the investment options in a 401k, but you can invest in anything you want in an IRA.  I'd love to be able to roll my 401k into an IRA so I could pick what to invest in, but you can't do it while you still work for that employer.
yeah. There's definitely a good argument for that.

But I chose to rollover to my 401k. Very convenient to keep everything in one place. And my 401k has dozens of investing options (including the ones that I want). It's nice to only play fees on one account instead of 2 accounts.

To each their own. Gotta figure out what works for you.

Yeah, I'm going ahead and rolling over into a Rollover IRA. Depending on whether I want to do more paperwork or not, and maybe depending on the fees, I will decide whether to leave it there or forward it onto my current 401k.

Despite growing up with a father who worked as a financial advisor, I don't take much active interest in figuring out exactly what I want to invest in in my 401k. I generally go for one of those Target Retirement Date plans that picks for me.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Back