Ski Season 2014/2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our kids (and us too) made our biggest advances in learning to ski when we took long weekends rather than one day at a time. you build on the previous days experience

we should really plan / budget for this..... (meetup) would be pretty easy to swing, there are lots of huge houses for rent. key we have found is that you just have to secure them early..
We would drive...slopeside would be ideal.

The 30 person house isn't slope side :-(. But it's an easy shuttle to either place...

KF, I have yet to try cat skiing besides the free Cat at Copper. I'm one of those boneheads that hike up the singletrack for highlands bowl

IMG_0015.jpg
Where is that?! I've done that hike! Cool!

You'll never catch me hurtling down the side of a mountain with some sticks strapped to my feet, mostly because I'm afraid of heights, but also because I'm so uncoordinated I would die. But is there any decent cross country skiing in the area? I might be down for that.

I have some friends that go to Ouray for ice climbing in mid-February every year (unlike on skis, I won't die when I fall ice climbing), so if there was a skiing meetup in that timeframe I might be able to work in both.

People die ice climbing longs speak every year... But there is plenty of that type stuff around here..

In the Winter Park area you also have dogsledding, which I really want to do , and really good snowshoeing and snowmobile opportunities

They also have bars at the ski resort and huge outdoor fire pits which are pretty cool to hang around and drink a cold beer

We are a little bit worried that the snow will be gone by spring break, but it looks like thats not a problem. The pic below is my wife about to give up at WP. This was her first time really skiing and she just wasnt getting it. Fortunately, she didnt give up and had her ski legs by the next day. the other is just a cool pic i took going down MJ (I think).

IMG_0090.JPG

there were folks skiing in early June last year..

I think the March snow was some of the best we had..

one thing I like about the resorts out here (compared to my experience with Winterplace and Snowshoe ,WV) is they ski patrol and guides they have positioned are very helpful if you get in a bind. Early on the wife got stuck on a steep stretch of MJ and the ski patrol guys basically realized that she was cussing me out for taking her on a steeper run and they gave her enough motivation / confidence to make it down... our similar experience in WV is the ski patrol losers will admonish you for trying something above your skill level.. here they encourage it..

& my 11 year old first weekend we came out got stuck on a really steep run (for him) and I think he was just exhausted so he caught a ride down in the ski basket. it was a lady ski patrol member who gave him a ride, she gave him a high 5, told him to try an easier run but to come back to that same run next weekend and try it again, patted him on the head.. I wasn't with him when it happened but if my wife ever had to take a ride drown in the basket I would never get her back on the powder... He just thought it was fun/ cool...

now that is the run my kids race each other down..

I would assume most all the resorts out here are similar- they want people to have a good time (unless your being a Gary brown)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an "outfit" i've been wearing for about 8 years. The only time it gets worn is during my one or two times a year skiing, so it may never wear out. I don't have anything thick. Just several layers: up top: t-shirt, turtleneck, fleece and a waterproof Columbia rain jacket. down low: long underwear, windpants and a set of water proof ski bibs. I've worn that in sub zero weather and 45F conditions. When its too warm just shed a layer or two.

Basically just use a lot of lightweight layers and I can't afford Northface myself I've got a Columbia ski jacket I actually bought at Kohl's on sale in Atlanta for 45 bucks that's done me well

Mrs. RG doesn't like to be cold she bought a pair of hundred dollar gloves we'll see how that works the season

Back