Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I've seen of this thread. Is it a bet or something? I'm at about 190 lbs at 6' 2". Need to lose some fat that's for sure

When I get stressed my tummy gets upset and I lose all appetite and feel nauseous. When I moved, I dropped 7 or 8 lbs in 2 weeks. My exercise routine also went to shit until very recently when I got settled in.

The thing is now I am hungry every minute of the day, eat like a pig, but have still only put 2-3 lbs back on. It's fun to be able to eat all day and not worry about it. But in reality I am having a tough time putting the lbs back on.

I'm wanting to be around 180 to 190 but change some fat out for something other than fat.

I got down to my target weight a few weeks ago. So far, I have dropped 65 lbs this year. I went from 315 to less than 250.

I got down to my target weight a few weeks ago. So far, I have dropped 65 lbs this year. I went from 315 to less than 250.
That Kicks ASS!!!

I am 4 days into mine.

I just started back training and dieting.

It is a little too late into the season, so I am going to pace myself so that I will be in damn near show condition by next March.

I want the decent six pack back this summer, but plan on being in top shape by March.

the DVINNY of old will be back A.S.A.P.

I was MC'ing a powerlifting meet recently and a competitor came up to me and said "Guys in my gym say I'm the next DVINNY, and I'm going to the State meet this year to try and break your record"

I said, "you'll get it, just keep training hard" but deep down it pissed me off, so now I am gonna have to get back at the top of my game and deliver a smack down.

And I thought I outgrew the EGO thing. :screwloose:

I said, "you'll get it, just keep training hard" but deep down it pissed me off, so now I am gonna have to get back at the top of my game and deliver a smack down.
That's awesome, dude. :bio:

Last edited by a moderator:

:Locolaugh:

I'm starting mine next week. If I could gain about 80lbs of muscle and drop the 12% body fat down, I think I'd give you a run for your money!

Give me about 4 years and some not so legal drugs and YOU'RE ON!

I am "down" to 189. 5 more pounds since the last time I posted here.

That is 11 pounds in about 2.5 months. At 44 I think this is great. I am feeling better and the change is starting to be obvious. 14 to 19 more to go.

:bio:

I managed to drop about 5 pounds during my month-long vacation - down to 187. Less beer, forced healthful eating (staying with my parents, on their heart-healthy diet), regular running, and - finally bought one - the Perfect Pushups, did me a world of good.

I survived the weekend.

Now for another week of clean eating and training.

I went to the gym today (Sunday) and did some weights, but mainly hit the cardio.

HERE WE GO AGAIN. :p10940623:

I plan on dropping 35 lbs of fat and picking up at least 15-20 lbs. of muscle back.

I'm currently at 246, but would like to get to 225 at much lower bodyfat percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:
my scale broke :( so I judge myself by how my pants fit. But I've been running a lot so hopefully not much has changed?

I told myself that the scale was broken for a while earlier this year.... Now it seems to be working again. :rolleyes:

I am down about 40 - 45 lbs total since the inception of this thread. :)

I plan on dropping 35 lbs of fat and picking up at least 15-20 lbs. of muscle back.I'm currently at 246, but would like to get to 225 at much lower bodyfat percentage.
Awesome! How do you target the weight loss (fat) and then weight gain (muscle) in that manner?

my scale broke :( so I judge myself by how my pants fit. But I've been running a lot so hopefully not much has changed?
While I certainly gauge my weight by a scale, I really think of weight loss in terms of how my clothes fit. Right now, I have to buy an entire new wardrobe because NOTHING is fitting right on me. :) My ideal limits really come down to what size clothes I ultimately wear because I want to feel comfortable in my clothing rather than stick with a notion of a target weight.

I told myself that the scale was broken for a while earlier this year.... Now it seems to be working again. :rolleyes:
:woot:

JR

Time for the deadbeat to chime in.

I'm down about 25 since Christmas - mainly due to changes in eating habits (one coke a day max helps too, I'm sure) but stay somewhat active and all. Being done with school/studying for the PE has helped me too - now getting back to 200 is something new to focus on. (Currently 6'-1" 230)

Something I have been using: The Google 15

If you have gmail (and you probably should if you dont) you can make a google home-page (www.igoogle.com) and add all sorts of gadgets (stocks, weather, news, etc - even make your own) but one of the gadgets is called the "Google 15"

You enter your weight every day and it gives you a graph and moving average of your weight trends. The engineer in me likes graphs and things. If you start using it, don't get frustrated until you get 2 weeks worth of data in there. At first your trends are all over the place (for obvious reasons)

Here is another thing that may qualify as a random thought but is on topic:

A little while ago I got to thinking, how do you actually lose weight? I'm talking about mass balance here. On top of waste products, I always thought that sweating/exhaling water vapor and releasing carbon through CO2 was how you actually lost weight. Turns out I am basically right, but in discussing it with my wife (she of the biology background) she thought I was crazy. She was on the "mass turns into heat and energy" bandwagon which of course is kind of going on but of course I countered with "Mass is neither created nor destroyed" which didn't fly by her. Not being 100-percent sure of myself and having done poorly in organic chemistry and biology I let it go.

Finally, one more small tidbit I just read - Whether you run 5 miles or walk 5 miles you're basically doing the same amount of work and therefore burning the same amount of calories. The walking just takes more time. So simple I never really thought of it like that. It seems like so many people think they have to work out to lose weight without realizing what a benefit going for a walk would be.

Anyhow, my posting is up today because I am over a week late with a report. Maybe I'll work on it some more now.

Back