SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NC is usually one of the 1st out as well...no email yet to report from NC

Last edited by a moderator:
Same. I can't even focus on things that normally distract me (chess games, YouTube, etc.)
If you play at all on chess.com, look me up (titleistguy), I'm not exactly killing it in ELO ratings, usually around 900.  But I'd love to play sometime.  5min blitz games is all I can squeeze in between meetings.

If you play at all on chess.com, look me up (titleistguy), I'm not exactly killing it in ELO ratings, usually around 900.  But I'd love to play sometime.  5min blitz games is all I can squeeze in between meetings.
Ah, big Gameknot player myself (1840 ELO currently, username mre30), but perhaps I can make my way over to chess.com and play a friendly game!

Ah, big Gameknot player myself (1840 ELO currently, username mre30), but perhaps I can make my way over to chess.com and play a friendly game!
1800 ... damn man.  You'd slap me around. 

I'm working on London system for white, queen's gambit (I'm a big d4 fan), and French / Sicilian for black.

My highest was around 995 ish, but could never crack 1000, and I've been on a bit of a losing streak and am back down to 800's.  With about 2000 games played, I play a lot.  Just don't really improve b/c its so hard.

1800 ... damn man.  You'd slap me around. 

I'm working on London system for white, queen's gambit (I'm a big d4 fan), and French / Sicilian for black.

My highest was around 995 ish, but could never crack 1000, and I've been on a bit of a losing streak and am back down to 800's.  With about 2000 games played, I play a lot.  Just don't really improve b/c its so hard.
I stayed around 1200 for the longest time. Took me months to realize that there were opening books of moves that set you up well in the beginning game. Hovered around 1350 for a long time after that. Only when I started studying chess theory and watching games of grandmasters (annotated by agadmator <- incredibly wholesome YouTuber) and using engines (stockfish 10 currently) to analyze played games did I really start moving up in rankings, as I had a completely different understanding of how to play. A profoundly different understanding. 

I'm currently at 1,424 games on gameknot, where I do the vast majority of my playing, so I play a lot as well. I will say that it is definitely hard when you don't add new tools to your toolbox. Once I started increasing my knowledge of the game it became much easier to spot the right move!

I stayed around 1200 for the longest time. Took me months to realize that there were opening books of moves that set you up well in the beginning game. Hovered around 1350 for a long time after that. Only when I started studying chess theory and watching games of grandmasters (annotated by agadmator <- incredibly wholesome YouTuber) and using engines (stockfish 10 currently) to analyze played games did I really start moving up in rankings, as I had a completely different understanding of how to play. A profoundly different understanding. 

I'm currently at 1,424 games on gameknot, where I do the vast majority of my playing, so I play a lot as well. I will say that it is definitely hard when you don't add new tools to your toolbox. Once I started increasing my knowledge of the game it became much easier to spot the right move!
Makes sense, I'm not one of those people that thinks you just improve by playing.  I actually think that I'm not really good enough to even be worrying too much about theory, rather I should just be grinding tactics, and making sure I develop pieces, castle, not hang pieces and so on.  Between work and my real love (golf), chess is just a passing hobby but getting over 1000 would be a great achievement.  I've always heard that playing non bullet and blitz is the best way to improve b/c it forces you to calculate more and think deeper about positions which I admit I don't do lol.

Makes sense, I'm not one of those people that thinks you just improve by playing.  I actually think that I'm not really good enough to even be worrying too much about theory, rather I should just be grinding tactics, and making sure I develop pieces, castle, not hang pieces and so on.  Between work and my real love (golf), chess is just a passing hobby but getting over 1000 would be a great achievement.  I've always heard that playing non bullet and blitz is the best way to improve b/c it forces you to calculate more and think deeper about positions which I admit I don't do lol.
Gotcha. The tactics and keeping an eye on the whole board are great places to get a lot of practice, as it gives you a solid foundation, which is crucial. I blunder away games sometimes by leaving a bishop hanging, which is no fun. 

I agree. I play 95% of my games at a 2-3 days per move time control. Plenty of time to analyze a position well. Blitz games over the board are much more difficult for me.

Going from analyzing a position from 2 moves ahead to 5+ moves ahead was another piece of my ranking climbing puzzle.

Back