Religion and Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you dream?

Have any of you been able to fly in your dreams? or do anything else that is not humanly possible in reality? And can your dream be proven scientifically?

What if eternal life is a dream state? and if you've lived a good life and have good dreams it will be like heaven? or if you've lived a bad life and have nightmares it will be like hell?

When your dreaming, your human restrictions are lifted.

I see no reason why this cannot be the case after death.

Except walking on water is very much something you can see, hear, or touch...
Christians believe that Christ was the manifestation of God, so that he really was not human. Jews believe that he was a human profit, but not really the son of God.

If these religions can't agree, then I feel it is normal for technical thinking engineers to question the practicality of it, but as stated above, I choose to 'believe'.

Regardless, I think anybody can recognize that Jesus was and is the most famous person to ever walk this earth. Who else has been at least known of by every human for the last 2000 years?

He changed the world. No matter you're beliefs, you must admit, he changed the world.

If these religions can't agree, then I feel it is normal for technical thinking engineers to question the practicality of it, but as stated above, I choose to 'believe'.
I have questions in my mind. I question things every day. BUT (and maybe only believers can recognize this), there are some things that happen that are TOO un-random not to be part of God's big plan. And there are things that scientists should be able to be exact about, when they aren't.

I don't consider myself a Christian. You can discuss the different philosophical nuances you want, but for me the crux of the matter is primarily an engineering one:
I don't believe a man can walk on water.

It's that simple. I don't understand how any well trained engineer can support that position either. On one hand--if I cant believe this, then the whole thing falls into the category of historical fiction. On the other hand--if man can walk on water, then the very basics of engineering fall apart. For me the choice was easy.

But I will never be able to understand those people who can't understand why I have trouble accepting the idea that man walked on water. They look at me like I'm the crazy one...
Surface tension and buoyancy. Christ has giant feet. Same way Carnival can keep a cruise ship from sinking down.

Right?

:)

I don't consider myself a Christian. You can discuss the different philosophical nuances you want, but for me the crux of the matter is primarily an engineering one:
I don't believe a man can walk on water.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
And Christ walking on water is what trips you up. . .? :huh: Ok. . . you pretty much make the leap of engineering faith from paragraph one my man.

Secondly, your argument is based upon your belief that Christ was soley a man. Your decision to not believe was already in place with that simple sentence choice.

Actually I wasn't talking about Jesus walking on water, I was referring to Peter. I should have been more clear...

Actually I wasn't talking about Jesus walking on water, I was referring to Peter. I should have been more clear...
Odd that wouldn't have been obvious to a Christian... Or is it just the Catholics that have faith in this story.

I figured he might be talking about Peter, and if you know the story, Peter thought to himself "this defeats engineering logic" and began to sink.

Though we may not walk across water, we will go through difficult, faith-testing circumstances. Are you sinking into despair or are you looking to Jesus and his miraculous power for help?

Last edited by a moderator:
After feeding the five thousand, Jesus sends his disciples ahead of him in a boat to cross the Sea of Galilee. Several hours later in the night, the disciples encounter a storm. Jesus comes to them, walking on the water. This terrifies the disciples and they think they are seeing a ghost. Jesus tells them in verse 27, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
Peter replies, "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." So Jesus invites Peter to come. Peter gets out of the boat and begins walking on the water toward Jesus. But when Peter takes his eyes off Jesus and sees the wind and waves, he begins to sink. Peter cries out to the Lord and Jesus immediately reaches out his hand and catches Peter. As they climb into the boat together, the storm ceases. Then the disciples worship Jesus, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

Can any stormwater modelers in here provide any validity to Moses parting the Red Sea?

Well, the sea levels dropped, they walked across the high point which was land, the Egyptian Army followed, the flood waters washed them away.

How hard would that be to prove?

Odd that wouldn't have been obvious to a Christian... Or is it just the Catholics that have faith in this story.
I'm not really sure its odd, as the only passage mentioning Peter's feat is in Matthew; whereas Jesus walking on water is in 3 of the 4 gospels. Easy to assume a non-believer was referring to the universally known feat Christ accomplished. Its also easy to assume a non-believer wouldn't have strong familiarity with biblical passages, an error on my part anyways.

And at that, its still a rather trivial passage to hang your blanket dismissal of christianity. Peter walked to Christ, himself standing on the stormy water, at Christ's command. Peter wasn't very successful at it, as doubt led to him sinking.

One would think the obvious 'beyond human capability' feats performed by Moses (i.e. parting Red Sea) would fall more towards doubters ammunition caches.

I figured he might be talking about Peter, and if you know the story, Peter thought to himself "this defeats engineering logic" and began to sink.
I love this explanation!!! I can just see Simon walking on water, then his left brain kicks in and SPLASH!!!!

hydraulic jump? caused by a change in slope?
I'm no f'tard, but I did earn my junior woodchuck badge in stormwater design. They probably just dewatered it with a sump pump, garden hose and one of those dewatering bags. The bag got full of sediment too quickly and burst before the Egyptians could make it across.

I'm no f'tard
don't sell yourself short VT. True, you're not THE f'tard, but I think you'd blend in at an f'tard convention.

B) j/k I couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back