Religion and Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it should be locked. Eventually, the :deadhorse: will end on it's own and the thread will fade into history. So far, the worst that I've noticed in this thread is an opinion that religious belief is evidence of substandard engineering ability. Having run maintenance crews in a union shop, I've had far worse than that hurled at me in person. I'm not going to get too wound up over anything said on an internet message board.

this is why we don't talk about religion at thanksgiving.
or politics.

how 'bout them broncos?
Its funny because I've been on other message boards where the following arguments were argued as passionately:

Should the YB-49 have been chosen over the B-36?

688I vs Sierra class...who would win.

Prius vs Volt.

Ar-234 vs P-80, which was better?

I guess we gotta try to convince others towards our views, but it never happens and people end up with hurt feelings.

perhaps i do :D

But at a certain point, it might be best to stop arguing for a while and move on to other topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is why we don't talk about religion at thanksgiving.
or politics.

how 'bout them broncos?
Did they scout new coaches at the local elementary schools? Cripes that guy is young! It's a miracle he got the job.

Or it was a logical determination based on hypothesis testing.

perhaps i do :D But at a certain point, it might be best to stop arguing for a while and move on to other topics.
Whence things have their origin,

Thence also their destruction happens,

According to necessity;

For they give to each other justice

and recompense For their injustice,

In conformity with the ordinance of Time.

~Anaximander

Example: Let's just look at the difference between Christians and Jews:
Christians think Jesus is the son of God, born of the Virgin Mary, etc. etc. and Jews think he did exist and was a profit. Not the Son of God. Jesus was a Jew.

If these two religions differ that greatly on his status, and they haven't been able to work it out, I have ZERO hope that EB.com is going to solve this one.

We can do alot of things on this board....... but we must admit our limitations here. :D
Interesting that you pick these points to illustrate differences in religion. Along the same lines, Muslims believe Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary and will return to defeat the Antichrist. These two religions agree on these points, and yet can't seem to get along very well.

Anyone into the Battle Star Galactica series? I just got back into it, after missing at least 3 seasons, and i'm trying to catch up before season returns tomorrow on Sci Fi channel.

Anyways, its so interweaved w/ theism - deism - atheism, its really quite complex & extraordinarily done. The humans believe in a poly-theistic 'religion', and the cylons (yes cyborgs or whatever) believe in mono-theistic 'religion' (the one true god), while a few in charge folks are atheistic in their beliefs. In the mean time, there are astrological cues & tons of biblical tie-ins or innuendo if you will. Its a fun series which loosely touches on many of the same topics & arguments. And shits gets blowed up, which is always cool

Last edited by a moderator:
^ DVR is programmed to pick up the new episodes any time they air. There was a 2-hour movie they put together a while back that I didn't even know they did prior to it showing up on my recorder. That series is very well done.

^ I got all of season 4 on my Zune (.wmv format) - the episodes are commercial free & only run like 44 min. each. Its been a great way to catch up, but boy I'm looking forward to watching the DVR ones on my 60-in Sony!

Back