Recipe Exchange

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a summertime cocktail, that is really easy to make and requires no blender.

pour 2 parts Limeade, over a high ball of ice (I buy the not from concentrate type)

1 part Bacardi Coco (don't use the Capt. Morgan or Parrot Bay it is far too sweet)

Splash of Club soda on top.

Honestly my drinks are more like 2 parts Limeade, 2 parts Bacardi Coco, but do what suits your taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
^reminds me of my favorite drink....

half some type of juice

half some type of liquor

I have yet to have this methodology fail.

edit: oh yeah, you can substitute ice for the juice

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I will probably have to buy the flax seed and wheat germ around here by work. Haven't seen those by home.
Do you have the wheat and rye flakes? Those were the hardest for me to find, but a store around here sells grains and flours and such in bulk so I was able to find them.

Thanks! I will probably have to buy the flax seed and wheat germ around here by work. Haven't seen those by home.
Do you have the wheat and rye flakes? Those were the hardest for me to find, but a store around here sells grains and flours and such in bulk so I was able to find them.
the sad part is I am almost certain I have seen those at the walmart or iga, but not the others.

I have a great granola recipe. Let me see if I can find it.
edit: Here it is:

Homemade Granola

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup canola oil

1/4 packed dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon cinnamon

a little bit of salt

2 cup oats (not quick oats though)

1 cup wheat flakes

1 cup rye flakes

1 cup whole ground flax seed

1 cup toasted wheat germ

1 cup whole almonds, chopped coarsely (or walnuts)

1/2 cup sunflower seeds and or sesame seeds

1 cup dried fruit--raisins, cranberries

preheat oven to 325, coat roasting pan with spray (i never remember to do this and mine comes out fine). Whisk syrup, oil, sugar in medium saucepan, bring to a simmer stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and salt.

Mix oats through almonds and any seeds in pan. Stir in maple syrup mixture spread out evenly. Bake for 20-25 min, stirring several times. Remove from oven and stir in any dried fruit.
I wonder about adding a little Whey protein to this?? It sounds good. Maybe we can start manufacturing these, and create a business. They should go along with the flan and that drink above. :)

I just made a double batch of this stuff and it fed 14 adults. I made the pork version and it was excellent.

BBQ Recipe

2 ½ lb boneless beef chuck roast or pork shoulder roast

¾ tsp dry mustard

2 small onions

¾ tsp chili powder

12 ounce can cola

¼ - ½ tsp ground red pepper

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 ½ TBSP apple cider or white wine vinegar

1 cup ketchup

1 ½ tsps beef bouillon granules

1 TBSP butter

Place the roast into a 3 ½ quart crock pot. Add onions.

Combine cola, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, beef bouillon, dry mustard, chili powder, red pepper, and garlic. Mix well, reserve 1 cup of sauce and chill.

Pour remaining sauce over roast. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 9 hours until tender.

Using a slotted spoon, remove roast and onions from the pot, shred with two forks. Combine reserved sauce with ketchup and butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. Pour sauce over meat and stir gently. Spoon onto buns.

Serves 6 - 8

I've been doing pork chops with Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade, which is also very good. I'll have to try the basil vinaigrette. I've been cutting my own pork chops, too. I buy a vacuum sealed (Smithfield brand, I think) loin roast and slice it at home into thick chops. I've had better luck with that than buying the sliced chops. What I really need is a way to grill shrimp. I want to try some on a skewer.

Have you tried beer can chicken? I haven't made it in awhile, but it's always a hit at the Buff house.

I've been doing pork chops with Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade, which is also very good. I'll have to try the basil vinaigrette. I've been cutting my own pork chops, too. I buy a vacuum sealed (Smithfield brand, I think) loin roast and slice it at home into thick chops. I've had better luck with that than buying the sliced chops. What I really need is a way to grill shrimp. I want to try some on a skewer.
We have half a hog in the freezer. We were able to talk to the butcher so everything came cut to our liking. It's awesome.

Chicken breast cut into cubes (or chunks) marinated in key lime juice with sea salt; add some chicken grill seasoning, skewer, grill. YUM.!!!

Seeing as it's been hotter than a hooter here, it's been a challenge to find decent meals that are light and relatively low on prep.

My wife made salmon last night with the cucumber and red onion relish. The relish had a bit of vinegar in it and the tartness was refreshing. And fish is always good on a hot night.

It came out of a cookbook that's a collection of recipes from chefs in the Jackson Hole area we picked up one time when we were there. Good recipes and good variety.

Tonight I'm on the hook for making gazpacho.

Back