Recipe Exchange

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yogi Wings

Recipe courtesy Bill Smith

Ingredients

2 tablespoons paprika

3 tablespoons cayenne

5 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper

6 tablespoon garlic powder

3 tablespoon onion powder

6 tablespoon salt

2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder

50 chicken wings (with tips removed and split at center joint)

Directions

Combine all dry ingredients in medium bowl. Rinse chicken thoroughly. Dip chicken in dry mix as you place it on the grill. Place chicken on middle rack of grill on low heat and cook until crispy, turning as needed, combine with sauce for dipping at your preference.

--------------------------------

This is my favorite tailgating grilling recipe. I make it at least one game per year because it's tasty and you can do most of the work the night before. Plus it's different than the usual dogs, brats and burgers.

I recommend hitting a dollar store for spices. A good Family Dollar or similar will have all of them (even the 5-spice) for a buck each and the bottles will last you for numerous batches.

Usually I cut, rinse and dry the chicken the night before, then put the chicken in a gallon plastic bag. I also measure all the spices the night before and put them in a tupperware. Then to cook, I just have to roll the chicken through the spice on it's way to the grill.

If your tailgate grill is a cheap portable charcoal (like mine) with only one setting (burn) put the coals on one side of the grill and the chicken on the other.

If I am cooking for a lot of people and making a large amount, I will bring a chimney starter for coals. So I can replenish the coals in the grill as they get low.

You can cut down the cayenne. The ladies tend to prefer their Yogi Wings with the red pepper cut to 2 or even 1 tablespoon. There is still plenty of spice so the guys don't miss it.

I also skin the chicken but that is personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to contribute something to this thread, but most of the stuff I end up making is loosely based on a recipe in a cook book, but altered to personal taste plus whatever is in the house. So I don't really know what I did.

I want to contribute something to this thread, but most of the stuff I end up making is loosely based on a recipe in a cook book, but altered to personal taste plus whatever is in the house. So I don't really know what I did.
Just describe it in general terms then. Or write it down next time you do it. Or write down your favorite from the cookbook, and we can tweak it as we like. :)

Ingredients

For the Caramel:

2 cups of sugar

1/4 cup of water

For the Flan:

1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk

1 (14-ounce) can of whole milk (use empty condensed milk can for measure)

6 large eggs

4 tablespoon of Sugar (optional)

½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract

3 pours of dark rum (any rum will do)

If you a heavy 6-8 cup heavy (enameled cast iron) pot and a second larger pot with a lid that could hold the first pot for a Dutch oven effect, use it. Otherwise, use a Aluminum disposable pan ( I use the square ones)

Directions

Making the Caramel:

In a small heavy saucepan bring sugar and water to a boil

Stir until sugar is dissolved

Boil syrup in high heat without stirring until caramel is gold or light brown in color

Remove from stove immediately to prevent burning the caramel

Be very careful not to get burn with the hot caramel

While the caramel is still very hot pour some into the 6-8 cup enameled cast iron pot to coat the bottom and about 2/3 of the sides or the Aluminum disposable pan

Let the caramel in the pot cool

-----------------------------------

Making the flan:

Test the rum.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F

Combine all the flan ingredients including about three pours of rum in a blender jar (or mixer) except for the eggs and run blender at medium speed for about 1-2 minutes

Test the rum again.

Then with the blender still at medium speed add the eggs one by one until finish

Pour this mixture (liquid) into the pot coated with caramel and place inside larger pot

Pour in enough hot water into larger pot to reach halfway up the sides of the smaller pot

Place larger pot in the middle oven rack and cover with the lid. If you are using the aluminum disposable pan, you can place directly in the middle oven rack, you don’t need the bigger pan with water.

Bake the flan until just set, but still wiggly in the center (about 60 minutes).

If you don’t cook it long enough, it will fall apart (cave in) when it is served; if you cook it too long, it will come out dry and grainy. You should be able to insert a clean knife about ½ way from the edge of the pan, and the center, and pull it out dry. The center should still be a little runny. After it is chilled, that runny part will firm up.

Transfer the flan still in the pot to a rack and let it cool to room temperature

Once is cooled place in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours before serving or overnight, to chill.

Test the rum while waiting.

When ready to serve, dip the flan pot in a saucepan of hot water or separate borders with a knife

Using a finger, gently press down the edges of the flan, until the caramel runs up the side, which indicates that it's loosened

Once the quesillo is lose from the pan (it should slosh when you shift the pan), Place a large dish over the top of the pan and quickly flip it over so the Quesillo falls onto the center of the dish. Warning: there will be a large amount of caramel sauce, so be very careful to not splash it on all over yourself when flipping the pan over.

Enjoy with what is left of your rum.

And of course, to follow up a main dish... dessert:
Peanut Butter Monster Cookies

Note:  There is no flour in this recipe!

Yield: 6.5 dozen cookies
Monster bars are what got me through a week long bike ride. By day four I had to stop eating them, but they called to me at each stop.

I'm waiting for the recipe Supe's fake crab/spoiled taco meat colon cleanse.

1 Package imitation crab meat

1/4 cup unsalted butter

4 lbs beef roast

1 taco seasoning packet

1 can red enchilada sauce

1 jar jalapeno peppers

1 jar watery store brand salsa

1 package pita bread

6 gallons of Pepto Bismol

1 tray of ice cubes

Cover beef roast in taco seasoning mix, and put in crock pot on low with 1/4 cup water for about 8 hours on low. Add enchilada sauce at hour 7. Sit in refridgerator for 1.5 weeks.

Eat taco meat on pita bread with watery salsa and jalapeno peppers. Eat package of crab meat, dipping in melted unsalted butter to taste.

Brace yourself for an aftermath which cannot be put into words. Drink 5 gallons of Pepto Bismol. Apply 1 gallon directly to affected area. Sit on tray of ice cubes. Garnish by abandoning all hope.

So I was at a basketball game on Monday, and had one of my favorite sporting event foods...German Roasted Almonds. They were $5 for about a cup worth of almonds, and I thought they'd be simple enough to make. I was right. I scored the following recipe online and made them today. I don't think I saved much money, though, because 2 cups of raw almonds costs about $7, and this recipe uses a lot of cinnamon and some vanilla extract...both of which aren't cheap. They are pretty effin' good, though, and really easy to make.

German Cinnamon Roasted Almonds

Ingredients

* 1 TB butter, soft

* 1 egg white, room temperature

* 1/8 tsp salt

* 1/2 cup sugar

* 2 teaspoons cinnamon

* 1 tsp. vanilla

* 2 cups whole almonds (not salted)

Preheat oven to 250. Cover a 13x17” baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease well. Combine everything together except the almonds [all at one time] and stir until well blended, then toss in the nuts and coat them well before spreading onto the prepared pan. Try to get all of the nuts in a single layer, and the better you separate them on the pan, the less sticking together you will have. Bake for one hour, stirring half way through. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.

This recipe also works for pecans, and I would assume, other nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back