Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only times I've been called to Jury duty has been after I've moved and they sent the summons to my old address.  Single phone call to say I don't live there and I'm excused.

No jury duty tomorrow, but must check again at the end of the day. Was I lucky or not that I wasn't in one of the 9 groups (of 30) that were called to go in tomorrow? I think kind of lucky, but I'm sure they'll be calling people again on Thursday from the now smaller pool.

I've been lucky.  Only summoned twice.  The first I was away at college and got out of it.   The second time the air conditioning broke down very early and the judge sent everyone home and we all got credit.  

I've been summoned 4 times by the state of CT.  Every time, I have responded with either "I'm away at school, out of state", or "I haven't been a resident for damn near fifteen years, stop sending me f*cking jury summonses".  The stupid part?  The last two have been sent to my NC home address.  Does it not strike them as a bit odd that they would be sending a summons for CT residents to a NC mailing address?

Is it the same way in other states? We here have to check at 4:30 pm the business day before, starting the Friday before, to see if we have to report. If we don't have to report that next day, we have to keep checking every day until they say no one else has to. I've never been called for jury duty while I was living in the only other state (VT) I lived in as an adult.
Same here, but you check after 6 PM.

My wife got called to serve on a grand jury when she lived in Georgia... that was a 6 month assignment.  But fortunately she only had to actually serve one day (there's only 5,000 people in the whole county so not a whole lot going on.)

Same here, but you check after 6 PM.

My wife got called to serve on a grand jury when she lived in Georgia... that was a 6 month assignment.  But fortunately she only had to actually serve one day (there's only 5,000 people in the whole county so not a whole lot going on.)
My friend got selected for a grand jury here in Cambridge MA.  He went every Wednesday for the full 6 months.  His employer paid him for the time so he really enjoyed it.  Lots of people in Cambridge so it was always busy.  :)

I got called twice.  Both times I reported to the court house at 8:00AM and around 10:00AM the judge came in and tols that the cases they had lined up had all plead out and were settled.  He thanked us for our time and dismissed us.  Of course I went straight into work.... :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got called once about eight years ago, and got seated on the jury. Three day civil trial. I was the youngest on the jury, but the other jurors saw I was an engineer and made me foreman. It was an interesting process, and I would gladly serve again, but I'd rather not be foreman.

What does the foreman do? Are they the person who is in charge of giving the verdict and representing the jury as a whole to the judge?

I think I've been called for jury duty three times... Or at least, there are three times that I can remember. The first time, I was in college, so I had the excuse of not living here. The second time was right around when I moved back to CA, but they called me in the wrong county (the one where my parents' house was, which was my default address when I moved back before getting my own place. But when I got my own place, I quickly changed my address with my DL, but I guess the courts weren't quick enough to pick that up. But here they are, three years later, having figured it out, so I got called where I actually do live.

The last time I was called for jury duty was almost 30 years ago, fresh out of college, so of course I didn't get on a jury. 

I have a friend who did federal grand jury duty for 6 months, and was busy as hell. But he said it was super interesting - lots of big cases. 

One of my principals' old coworkers was picked not for a grand jury, but for a huge murder case that happened here in the 90's. He was out of work consistently for something like 4 or 5 months.

The foreman of the jury represents the jury in the court. I took it a step further, and in the jury room tried to keep the conversation on track and arguments to a minimum. I was frequently steering the conversation back to the case, cuz I wanted to get the case done and get TF out of there.

So I don't watch Tennis and don't know anything about these rules, but the one thing I find where Serena needs to get off the cross (cause someone else needs the wood) is the whole "I wouldn't cheat because I have a daughter" I mean Jesus Christ, so does pretty much everyone else on the planet almost........

So I don't watch Tennis and don't know anything about these rules, but the one thing I find where Serena needs to get off the cross (cause someone else needs the wood) is the whole "I wouldn't cheat because I have a daughter" I mean Jesus Christ, so does pretty much everyone else on the planet almost........
you're reallly going for it by bringing that situation up here... I agree with you though, I don't think the daughter comment was relevant - HOWEVER, I can't imagine the kind of pressure she was under. I definitely would have yelled things that didn't make sense like "I WOULDN'T CHEAT BECAUSE MY MOM'S BIRTHDAY IS IN MAY!" 

d25gPDJ.jpg

^- yes many more important things to worry about than what stresses out millionaire athletes and celebs today - Would have been nice if the dirty terrorists would have flown the planes into the Oscars IMO..

- sorry didn't mean to say that out loud...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back