Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to figure out how to clear a clog in my 3D printer nozzle.
Normally you just heat it up, remove the bowden tube, and then push down through the top.  Guitar string is pretty common.  If you can remove the fitting from the bowden tube, sometimes you can do a cold pull where you head just enough to melt some filament from the top, kill the heat, and then yank out the hardened "plug" of filament.  

Well, swing and a miss on the "Vivo Standing Desk Converter".  Almost 3500 good reviews on Amazon, and it was a piece of ****.  It had potential, but tolerance stack was its worst enemy.  It uses plastic block sliders in lieu of actual bearings, inside some stamped/formed channels.  There was so much play between the block and the channel, I could slide a credit card between them.  At the top, the crossbar just rests inside a hole drilled in the sliders, and those had even more slop.  So, 6 points of slop at a 9" extended height meant over 5/8" deflection at the keyboard tray, and the whole thing wobbled and clicked any time you even looked at it wrong.

I've ordered a z-frame "VertDesk" from BTOD which costs another $200, but is described as the "sturdiest they've tested to date", so fingers crossed.  

Normally you just heat it up, remove the bowden tube, and then push down through the top.  Guitar string is pretty common.  If you can remove the fitting from the bowden tube, sometimes you can do a cold pull where you head just enough to melt some filament from the top, kill the heat, and then yank out the hardened "plug" of filament.  
Thanks for the info @Supe

I'm buying some guitar string to do this. I see their are different gauges. Based my nozzle diameter, I don't think it matters which I get. My nozzle diameter is 0.4mm. When I looked up guitar string diameters, I found this. So the green should fit through my nozzle in each case.

Just trying to confirm that I'm not missing something.

image.png

I've ordered a z-frame "VertDesk" from BTOD which costs another $200, but is described as the "sturdiest they've tested to date", so fingers crossed.  
Is it bad that I'm assuming this new desk will arrive, you'll assemble, and it'll be like one of those IKEA bookcases that don't have the cross support, and it'll just kinda...shlump over to the side?

Is it bad that I'm assuming this new desk will arrive, you'll assemble, and it'll be like one of those IKEA bookcases that don't have the cross support, and it'll just kinda...shlump over to the side?
New desk riser arrived. Completely assembled, WAY sturdier and less wobble than the other. It has to weigh at LEAST double. Slightest bit of monitor shake which more a byproduct of the too-thin stand that comes with the monitor. TEENY bit of flex at the keyboard tray itself, but when it flexes, it doesn't take the rest of the desk with it. If I push on the desk platform, the actual laminate bows before the frame moves. My only gripe is that I wish the monitor was a little bit further back, because I use a huge, wide format monitor. I may make an extension of some kind for it to sit on closer to the wall.

Also, I use a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. When the desk is lowered, it's typically useless because the keyboard is too high due to the wrist riser on the board. This converter actually has a tilting keyboard tray, so I can keep it in ergo-mode when standing, and then flatten when sitting so the keyboard isn't TOTALLY useless like it was before.

just in time to go back to the office!
Nope, full time remote, baby! Turns out our company really likes not paying for facilities. They've terminated the lease on one and have two that they own for sale now.

Nope, full time remote, baby! Turns out our company really likes not paying for facilities. They've terminated the lease on one and have two that they own for sale now.
Welcome to the party, pal. Other than a couple of staff aug projects, I've been remote since 2003.

I guess I'm in the minority. Working from home definitely has it's conveniences, but I miss being in the office with other people... for both socializing and collaboration. My ideal would be 50-50.

^It's definitely a double-edged sword and doesn't work for everybody. The real problem I see with it is that the lack of a common office limits the ability to train new people.

I guess I'm in the minority. Working from home definitely has it's conveniences, but I miss being in the office with other people... for both socializing and collaboration. My ideal would be 50-50.
I was really pissy when I first went back to the office. But I live in a 600sqft house with a partner who is WFH too. It was not a good setup so I'm happy to be back in the office. It's nice to have people to talk too besides him. If we had a better setup, I could def go back to WFH. But I can't do the split time - I have to always be in the same spot, it affects my focus otherwise.

Our office was usually a ghost town through attrition anyways. I'd only ever talk to my coworker who is always open in my Teams chat anyways, and one other guy.

Back