Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50639423311_d0a0640d78_z.jpg

Am I the only one who is looking forward to Thanksgiving this year without the hassle?

no travel, no cooking/cleaning up after a large dinner and 4 days off from work.  I can live with that.  

Am I the only one who is looking forward to Thanksgiving this year without the hassle?

no travel, no cooking/cleaning up after a large dinner and 4 days off from work.  I can live with that.  
Yeah, our Thanksgiving is usually pretty laid back, but looking forward to a laid back Christmas. 

Why does it takes so **** long to buy and activate a cell phone?! I mean, between waiting in the store, then actually getting serviced and activating the phone is like two+ hours. Buying a car only takes a little bit longer than that.

Why does it takes so **** long to buy and activate a cell phone?! I mean, between waiting in the store, then actually getting serviced and activating the phone is like two+ hours. Buying a car only takes a little bit longer than that.
Just bought new phones online. Took longer than expected but still better than going to the carrier store.

For those of you who have children in high school I recommend you go to Instagram and search for "yourkidshighschoolnamememespage" and either you will enjoy a few laughs or be horribly disturbed. 

My little budget 3D printer keeps on trucking, and getting better and better.  It wasn't supposed to have wifi connectivity, but it does, and the most recent firmware update added auto-leveling which I'm super pumped about.  The bed on this unit can't be manually leveled, but I knew it wasn't perfectly level based on the first layer extrusion looking way too thin in spots.  Used the auto level calibration last night, and first layers are perfect now.  It was out about .020" in certain spots.  

My little budget 3D printer keeps on trucking, and getting better and better.  It wasn't supposed to have wifi connectivity, but it does, and the most recent firmware update added auto-leveling which I'm super pumped about.  The bed on this unit can't be manually leveled, but I knew it wasn't perfectly level based on the first layer extrusion looking way too thin in spots.  Used the auto level calibration last night, and first layers are perfect now.  It was out about .020" in certain spots.  
Which one did you buy again?  Auto bed leveling is a pretty advanced feature.  Do you have any problems with prints not sticking to the print bed?  I have a Solidoodle 2 that I got over 7 years ago.  It has a heated bed, and I've put an enclosure on it, used glass plates with hairspray, acetone, etc., and bought specific plastic plates designed to help prints stick, and I still have peeling issues regularly.  It's infuriating.  I would print so much more if it wasn't a colossal PITA every time I used it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one did you buy again?  Auto bed leveling is a pretty advanced feature.  Do you have any problems with prints not sticking to the print bed?  I have a Solidoodle 2 that I got over 7 years ago.  It has a heated bed, and I've put an enclosure on it, used glass plates with hairspray, acetone, etc., and bought specific plastic plates designed to help prints stick, and I still have peeling issues regularly.  It's infuriating.  I would print so much more if it wasn't a colossal PITA every time I used it.
FlashForge Adventurer 3 Lite.  Bed is driven on the Y axis by a drive rod on the left side, and just a roller wheel on the right, so no manual adjustments.  The build plate is removable plastic that slides in and out - the heater plate is spring loaded and pushes it up flush with the retaining "nubs" on the bed.  It uses one of the textured build plate stickers, probably like what you already have.  Printing with a raft, no issue.  Without a raft, wouldn't stick worth a ****.  As soon as I used some purple gluestick, zero adhesion issues other than one print which I overcooked and it warped like hell.  The auto-leveling was pretty good - it used to be a single center point calibration, but the latest firmware update pushed out the 9 point calibration.  You can adjust in .010" incremenets.  I use the "just starts to drag on a piece of paper" feeler gauge approach and it seems to work well. 

Honestly, the only "issue" I've had with the machine is some layer shifting/occasional ghost lines which I think is a result of the FlashPrint software itself, and the hot end isn't upgradeable.  Where it maxes out temperature-wise is right on the limit for materials like PETG (I think 245F is the max).  You do get some clicking from the filament feed motors when it's trying to extrude at WOT, but it's not shown any issues in the print itself.  I don't think I have the updated nozzle in mine, but the new one is supposed to keep temps more consistent - you definitely get cold starts out of it, which is why I always add a little extra length to the perimeter "warmup" line.  

This reminds me. I need to figure out how to clear a clog in my 3D printer nozzle. I tried to print PETG for the first time and I think I over heated it and burned it. The nozzle is completely clogged with PETG.

I have this one. It's technically my son's but I use it more than he does. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15365

Last edited by a moderator:
Back