Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh. I always thought it meant something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that there is now an escape room in one of the Chattanooga Choo Choo rail cars, so that alone makes it worth the stay.

We did the virus-based escape room at Escape Experience when we were there.  It was the first, and still the best by a wide margin, escape room we've ever done.

Yup. We also got our office to do a couple as a "team building" activity.
we looked at doing them as a team building event but our team was bigger than the rooms. and they didn't have rooms that were comparable levels to have it as a competition between 2 groups 

we looked at doing them as a team building event but our team was bigger than the rooms. and they didn't have rooms that were comparable levels to have it as a competition between 2 groups 
we too split up into different rooms with different levels. just look at it as a smaller sub team building activity 😉

I never really thought I would like them but we did one in Boulder when my eldest was home from College for Christmas, was a really good time. My youngest (17) isnt as book smart as his older brother but he sure as shit was the reason we "escaped" - 

We've kicked around the idea of doing escape rooms as a (after hours) team building event. But room capacity and number of rooms are an issue. I'd also add that most escape rooms I've done are pretty linear. That's not something you want to do with a large group becuase there ends up being a bunch of people standing around not doing anything.

I've taken to planning to do rooms at half capacity or less to avoid the issue of people not doing anything. Unless I know that the rooms are parrallel-pathed, in which case I'll bring the larger team.

and they didn't have rooms that were comparable levels to have it as a competition between 2 groups 
My escape room "team" had about 12 people. We've never all played at the same time, becuase of schedules, capacities, and georgraphy. But we found a place that has identical rooms meant for a timed escape. So we could do a 6v6. We're going to do it sooner than later, but we don't know how to split the team. Men vs Women? Engineers vs everyone? No couples on the same team? We've got a few different ways to make it work as a 6ishv6ish. There are definitely some configurations that would be grossly unfair that we want to avoid.

That's not something you want to do with a large group becuase there ends up being a bunch of people standing around not doing anything.
My old group was 6 people. We usually brought along 1-2 extra friends that weren't part of the normal group. And since the rooms we did maxed out at 10, we ran into a few times where a random couple decided to book at the same time. That was a little awkward since there would be the 7-8 of us working together, and then the couple just doing their own thing.

Most rooms around here don't allow for rando walk-ins. 

My core crew has only been with randos once. Five of us, three newbies. We tried to include them and teach them as much as possible,  but it wasn't always doable. We let them handle the boogie board and note taking. Then a morse code clue came up. They never heard of morse code and didn't know what to do. We went through the message twice, and i think the note taker was trying to spell out the noises.... Just before the third playback, I politely asked if i could take notes. She handed over the boogie board. I tried to be descreet when i blanked her notes, but she saw it and had a sad look. We escaped the room a few minutes later.

Back