PMP Certification April 2013

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayman_PE

Quid pro quo
Reaction score
Just passed the PMP exam on first try last Friday in Minneapolis. Compared to the Civil PE this one is comparable in difficulty, though I believe the PE is more important in every way per the training, education and dedication necessary to be an engineer. However, this was a good experience and I learned a lot. Without question the best books I used in order were

1. Andrew Crowe's How to Pass the PMP Exam the First Time

2. Rita Mulcanhy's PMP Exam Prep

3. 1,000 PMP Questions (can't recall the author - book is at work, but has green type paperback cover).

4. PMBOK, 4th Edition

Notice the PMBOK is listed last. Not very useful, but I would still pick it up. It helps tie together the books. I would suggest less reading and concentrate on the problems at the end of the Crowe chapters and his final exam. Pretty representative of the real thing I would say. Same for Rita's book. Bottom line work lots of problems and supplement your deficiencies with reading, not the other way around, at least not for most of us.

Best of luck PM's!

Do you think it's worth it? I thought about taking it, but I cant justify the cost of the exam, study materials, and PDUs

Congratulations Jayman! I was contemplating on taking this exam. Thank you for sharing the references you find useful. Will look into it!

Do you think it's worth it? I thought about taking it, but I cant justify the cost of the exam, study materials, and PDUs

The PMP is nothing compared to the PE. Anyone can get a PMP, not everyone can get the PE.

Zeba, I am curious but what made you say this? The requirements are not that stringent? Exam content is not as broad?

Zeba, I am curious but what made you say this? The requirements are not that stringent? Exam content is not as broad?

I have both a PMP & PE, working in an exempt industry. I do not place much value in my PMP because I know how easy it was to get compared to getting my PE. I have seen people with no technical ability (music, history degree and sometimes no degree) but because of their PMP placed into leadersip positions incharge of engineers. Too much value is placed in the PMP by non-technical senior management. What scares me at times is observing a non-technical PMP manager in-charge of engineers ignoring the advice of their engineers and playing the corporate political game in decision making on technical issues.

My opinion is the PMP hurts the engineering profession. I hope for the day the industry exemption is eliminated.

I agree with you 100%. I hope PMI would revamp and rectify their requirements to address and eliminate this problem. I have experienced this myself in my field. Thanks for your input

Duke - It really depends on your circumstance. I work in construction management so it is applicable and makes sense. With exam books, fees, etc. I put out $684.22. That's not a bad investment if your employer recognizes this come raise/bonus time. If not a raise in pay it still increases your own body of knowledge and credientials.

Having said all that, I will state that much of the PMI methodology is pie-in-the-sky type of modern paper management. In no case will one ever utilize all processes, tools and techniques perpetuated in the PMBOK Guide. To put it another way we would have to multiply our office staff x3 to address all PMI processes. We would henceforth close the doors in two weeks. So as you study just turn your BS filter on and take it with a smile, or frown as the case may be. Still some good stuff in there.

I have both a PMP & PE, working in an exempt industry. I do not place much value in my PMP because I know how easy it was to get compared to getting my PE. I have seen people with no technical ability (music, history degree and sometimes no degree) but because of their PMP placed into leadersip positions incharge of engineers. Too much value is placed in the PMP by non-technical senior management. What scares me at times is observing a non-technical PMP manager in-charge of engineers ignoring the advice of their engineers and playing the corporate political game in decision making on technical issues.

My opinion is the PMP hurts the engineering profession. I hope for the day the industry exemption is eliminated.
Zeba - I agree the PE holds more weight. But I would say if a non-PE PMP is trumping you of technical advice then you are not assertive enough. Push back with the facts. Nice thing about our profession is the math doesn't lie. Show them the math on paper and ask if they have any questions. Establish yourself as the expert in your field and you will not have to worry about non-PE PMP's.

Where can one take the PMP exam? Is this something you can take at any Pearson (or whatever) testing center?

I think the PE is much tougher than the PMP because the PMP is more of a practical exam. NCEES claims the PE is practical but it is truly an academic exam. If you did well in your college courses then you'll likely pass the PE. But if it's been a while, then you have to try to re-learn all of that old info on material that you mostly do not perform at work. However, the PMP draws upon practical experience to answer the situational questions so if you manage large projects then you'll likely pass without too much studying.

I'm taking a graduate course in "environmental project management" in the fall, and we will be working through the PMBOK as one of our references (we're also using some other PM book about managing enviro projects, following something other than the PMI method). I know none of you can possibly know the answer to this, but do you think a semester-long course will be enough prep to take the exam right afterward? Or will I still need a few weeks with the exam prep books before attempting?

Also - what are the CEU requirements like?

I'm taking a graduate course in "environmental project management" in the fall, and we will be working through the PMBOK as one of our references (we're also using some other PM book about managing enviro projects, following something other than the PMI method). I know none of you can possibly know the answer to this, but do you think a semester-long course will be enough prep to take the exam right afterward? Or will I still need a few weeks with the exam prep books before attempting?

The exam is easy, if you know the PMBOK you will be fine. It is nothing compared to the PE exam. Renewal is every 3 years with 60 hrs needed.

The exam is easy, if you know the PMBOK you will be fine. It is nothing compared to the PE exam. Renewal is every 3 years with 60 hrs needed.
Thanks - I appreciate the advice. I am overseas and don't have access to a testing center, so I am deciding whether to schedule myself to take it while I am on vacation in the mainland after I finish the course in December. I might give it a shot...

I am a PMP and not a PE. I am preparing for the PE....thats the next goal

I would say I only studied the Rita PMP and PMBOK. I think for engineers, PMP is easy. Prepare 70-150 hrs and you should be good.

Its funny that to give PMP exam and to maintain PDUs you end up spending more money compared to PE. The PMP exam itself cost $500 while PE is $250 +/-

Why PE has more weigh than PMP- Simple example to prove it- You mess with PE profession/Engineering Boards...You end up with fines and in court....PMI/PMP doesnot have such power to take you down....

Infact when you apply for PMP, they only audit 2-5% of applications...rest of all applications are not even checked? Funny huh...

PMP prep...I would suggest:

Rita PMP

PMBOK

Forum Pmzilla and couple of two

Free question practice at examcentral.net

>70hrs- <150 hrs of study

Back