PMP 2021 Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramnares P.E.

Reaction score
Based on the research I've done so far, it appears the exam has changed somewhat, particularly with the 6th Ed. of the PMBOK. The consensus seems to be to read through the PMBOK and then work through Rita Mulcahy's 2021 Exam prep book. I did not take any prep courses for the PE exam and would prefer not to take one for this. Is that preparation strategy sufficient? What are some tips from those who recently took and passed the exam?

Thanks in advance!

Based on the research I've done so far, it appears the exam has changed somewhat, particularly with the 6th Ed. of the PMBOK. The consensus seems to be to read through the PMBOK and then work through Rita Mulcahy's 2021 Exam prep book. I did not take any prep courses for the PE exam and would prefer not to take one for this. Is that preparation strategy sufficient? What are some tips from those who recently took and passed the exam?

Thanks in advance!
I think so. I pretty much did the same thing except I took a course.

I read through the PMBOK over the course of 2-3 months. Then I registered for the Project Management Academy course. The course covered the PMBOK, gave us tips and tricks, and cheat sheets to memorize. But if the Rita Mulcahy exam prep book does the same thing, then you can probably handle it yourself.

Just remember that this exam is not about the right answer in a practical situation. The exam requires you to answer the questions the way PMI wants you to answer it.

Sorry, old thread, but since I'm planning on taking the PMP in the very near future...

You have to have 35 hours worth of "training" in order to register for the exam. Fortunately there seems to be a lot of options. I've registered for a course on Udemy that's run by an organization called TIA Exams. They also have a website where you can register for a test question simulator. No complaints on it so far.

I imagine I'll probably take the test sometime in the late winter or early spring. At the rate I'm working through the prep course it'll be a while.

I just got approved to take the PMP exam. I scheduled my exam for mid-April. I have to have a deadline. My work pays for it and since I act as a PM rather than an engineer, it makes sense for me to take it. I heard from someone else at work who just passed it that there was a pretty strong focus on Agile PM.

Coursera is another spot they have a Google PMP Certification that has a TON of information, loads of videos and lots of quizzes.

@ChebyshevII PE you still taking it this year?

I just got approved to take the PMP exam. I scheduled my exam for mid-April. I have to have a deadline. My work pays for it and since I act as a PM rather than an engineer, it makes sense for me to take it. I heard from someone else at work who just passed it that there was a pretty strong focus on Agile PM.

Coursera is another spot they have a Google PMP Certification that has a TON of information, loads of videos and lots of quizzes.
Good luck!

I basically finished my course except for the final exam. I think I'm going to schedule the exam for mid march or early april this weekend.

I sat for the exam in December 2017 before the PMI invented the additional certification of Agile. My recommended study method; used by myself and two of my Managers after I passed on the first try, it as follows:

1) Obtain a copy of the current Rita MacCauley (sp?) PMP Study Guide, 600-800 pages.
2) Read it cover-to-cover twice.
3) Take all of the Rita book Chapter Tests.
4) If you score less than 85% on any of the Chapter Tests, read those Chapters a third time.
5) Take the PMP Exam and you are almost guaranteed to pass!

Remember! Answer the questions as PMI and the Rita Book instruct you. NOT as you have previously handled the situations via your personal experience or your employer's guidelines. They test on their procedures and no one elses!

I personally feel the PMP is a worthless certification, but I am a crabby old man who was forced by my employer at the time (I have since retired) to obtain the Cert or loose my Raise and Bonus eligibility.

Hello guys I pass PE power test in 2021. I also pass pmp test in January 2022. I did not use any third party prep for both test . The key to passing pmp test new format is Andrew ramdayal mindset and servant leadership. That is the game changer . The pmp test is mainly situational with new test . You must know agile methodologies to pass the test. Go through Reddit and YouTube and Tia simulator to get more information on Andrew test resources . Rita book was very great for traditional pmp methodologies. Good luck

Hello guys I pass PE power test in 2021. I also pass pmp test in January 2022. I did not use any third party prep for both test . The key to passing pmp test new format is Andrew ramdayal mindset and servant leadership. That is the game changer . The pmp test is mainly situational with new test . You must know agile methodologies to pass the test. Go through Reddit and YouTube and Tia simulator to get more information on Andrew test resources . Rita book was very great for traditional pmp methodologies. Good luck
I am using both Andrew Ramdayal and Rita for my study. Good to know I am on the right track. :)

This exam forces you to use a different set of mental muscle than the PE exam. @MI-Roger has it right, answer the questions the way the PMBOK wants you to and not based on your experience.

The best thing you can do is try to memorize as much as you can (flow charts, mnemonics, etc.) and complete practice questions.

This exam forces you to use a different set of mental muscle than the PE exam. @MI-Roger has it right, answer the questions the way the PMBOK wants you to and not based on your experience.

The best thing you can do is try to memorize as much as you can (flow charts, mnemonics, etc.) and complete practice questions.
Actually you don't need to memorize process flow (49 Process). it a waste of time. just go through ricardo vargas summarized PMBOK 6th edition youtube video to understand how the the process flow(itto) between the 49 processes. what you need to know is PMP Mindset and Servant leadership for the Test. The majority of the test question is based on Agile and Hybrid Methodolies. Traditional methodologies is not that much in the test. The test is mainly about conflict management in situational scenarios.

Actually you don't need to memorize process flow (49 Process). it a waste of time. just go through ricardo vargas summarized PMBOK 6th edition youtube video to understand how the the process flow(itto) between the 49 processes. what you need to know is PMP Mindset and Servant leadership for the Test. The majority of the test question is based on Agile and Hybrid Methodolies. Traditional methodologies is not that much in the test. The test is mainly about conflict management in situational scenarios.
I trust your assessment. I passed this exam 7 years ago and none of the words you just said were on it lol

I trust your assessment. I passed this exam 7 years ago and none of the words you just said were on it lol
Same! I passed 5 years ago and uh...these all sound made up.
I will have to let you all know my experience with it. I'm much more familiar with agile and hybrid on account of my experience in the software world, so maybe this'll be a shoo-in.

Post-Mortem:

Andrew Ramdayal’s mindset is absolutely the lifesaver for this one. Using his method I was able to eliminate all but 1 or 2 answers on most questions. His UDEMY prep course also did a great job of explaining agile concepts, which were a large part of the exam (about 50% worth of the questions).

the mock exams provided on Tiaexams.com prepared me pretty well for the content of the real one.

I read through Rita’s book once and did the practice questions at the end of each chapter. It was helpful information, but I don’t think I would have been sufficiently prepared for the exam by one reading of her book alone. It was also quite a large book and I have lots of kids, so finding time to work through it was tricky.

Compared to the PE, this exam and the whole process was a breeze.

Well done @ChebyshevII PE PMP ! This is probably way low on your priority list, but it's never too late early to start racking up your PDUs for the next renewal cycle. I just watch the free webinars provided by PMI, they are well organized by the "PMI Talent Triangle skill areas" so it's easy to pick and choose if you happen to be low on one topic area. You don't want to be rushing at the last minute and definitely don't want to pay anything for earning PDUs. Speaking of...I'm logged in and earning some now...

Edit: Implemented Cheby's edit. Leave me alone, I've been in the field all day! :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Last edited:
Back