PE Seal & Stamp

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish our seal was cooler looking. I think it's boring.

View attachment 23881
Here is the official TN state seal. It has changed over the years, but currently it looks like this. The top features a plow, sheath of wheat, and cotton plant, which were important features of agriculture in the state's history. At the bottom is a small ship, which used to be a boat with a boat man, but they got rid of the boat man and replaced the boat with a ship. Still looks like a boat to me though. Also, I've never figured out what the small doghouse looking building is next to the plow. It's never in any descriptions or narratives I can find about the seal.

I think our seal should be replaced with the state dog, the blue tick hound,

View attachment 23882

Or Davy Crockett. Either one would be make the seal cooler looking.

View attachment 23883
I think Tennessee's seal would should be random scenes from Hee Haw.

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 2
  • download-2.jpg
    download-2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 2
  • images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 2
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
Pennsylvania’s is pretty sweet, too!

Attachments

• F5B3F39C-A79F-49BA-B614-46E2F6D6824C.jpeg
    F5B3F39C-A79F-49BA-B614-46E2F6D6824C.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
Random question because I like jumping the gun:
Where did you order your stamp from and what type of stamp do you favor? Pre-inked? Self-inking? Old rubber stamp and ink pad?

I know of no engineer who uses an embosser, even from the few I know who actually have an embosser.

Everyone at my employer uses a wooden rubber stamp and ink pad, including myself. I stamp a small sheet of paper from a 5"x3" pad, and sign and date the seal for that particular project. Then I scan and create a .png file which I insert into the titleblock of the CAD drawing. I then keep the small paper/stamp I signed in a separate folder in a locked cabinet and I keep a log of drawings I've sealed.

We get our stamps from "PE Stamps" in Gorham, Maine PE Stamp | Professional Engineer Stamp

I take this very seriously and prefer it to the electronic seal, which is the more popular option in our industry. The reason I prefer this is I experienced abuse of a seal at a previous firm. Specifically, a non-PE copied an electronic seal from a former employee's (who is a PE) project folder and used it to "sign" and send incomplete construction drawings without that person's knowledge.

I realize nothing is fool-proof and there are ways to help prevent "theft" of an electronic seal, as I'm sure there are ways someone could steal and use mine without my knowledge. However, I prefer the rubber stamp method.

Last edited:
I know of no engineer who uses an embosser, even from the few I know who actually have an embosser.
Having grown up my entire life in the consulting engineering industry, and having a PE as a father, I can tell you I've never seen an engineer use a rubber stamp. Mainly because there is a negative connotation with them. Embossing is the respectable choice.

Having grown up my entire life in the consulting engineering industry, and having a PE as a father, I can tell you I've never seen an engineer use a rubber stamp. Mainly because there is a negative connotation with them. Embossing is the respectable choice.
*looks at Colorado and Oregon stamps - made of rubber. Checks TX stamp order - yep, that's rubber too. Peeks into boss's office drawer - yep, those are all rubber*

head-tilt-malamute.gif

Preeeeeetty sure most of my colleague's stamps are rubber too, yo. We don't EVER emboss.

*looks at Colorado and Oregon stamps - made of rubber. Checks TX stamp order - yep, that's rubber too. Peeks into boss's office drawer - yep, those are all rubber*

View attachment 23934

Preeeeeetty sure most of my colleague's stamps are rubber too, yo. We don't EVER emboss.
Read that as "boss's drawer is full of rubbers."

I know of no negative connotation of rubber stamps vs electronic stamps vs embossed. "Negative connotation" and "respectable" might differ from one person's perspective to the next, but it's really the person who's seal is on the drawings clients care about, NOT what material (electronic or otherwise) the stamp is made out of.

Also, embossing made sense back in the day when actual paper drawings were the submission of choice. With electronic drawings mostly being sent (also to save paper and space), embossing has become obsolete in most cases as a method of sealing drawings.

So nobody has this number?
1635956458171.png

Everyone I know uses one of these!

I know of no negative connotation of rubber stamps vs electronic stamps vs embossed.
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

embossing has become obsolete in most cases as a method of sealing drawings.
This statement is narrowminded.

*Checks my 4 seals* Embossing.
*Checks my fathers 4 seals* Embossing.
*Checks his partner's 2 seals* Embossing.
*Checks colleague's 2 seals* Embossing.
*Checks all the other seals of every other PE I know* Embossing.

Hmmmm.... Interesting.

Hmmmm.... Interesting.
Just because your experience is with embossing, doesn't invalidate the experiences of others.

And being a dick about it just makes you look like more of a dick.

Hmmmm.... Interesting.
To each his own, I say!

Back