PE Seal & Stamp

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To each his own, I say!
And maybe this younger generation of PE's are okay with inking, but it doesn't change the fact rubber stamping is a term used to describe anyone (not just engineers) that just stamp anything that comes across their desk or hand off their stamp for others to use.

And maybe this younger generation of PE's are okay with inking, but it doesn't change the fact rubber stamping is a term used to describe anyone (not just engineers) that just stamp anything that comes across their desk or hand off their stamp for others to use.
Big difference between the concept of "rubber stamping" and the physical act of using a wooden stamp with rubber seal to sign drawings.

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This statement is narrowminded.

*Checks my 4 seals* Embossing.
*Checks my fathers 4 seals* Embossing.
*Checks his partner's 2 seals* Embossing.
*Checks colleague's 2 seals* Embossing.
*Checks all the other seals of every other PE I know* Embossing.

Hmmmm.... Interesting.
So you're telling me you and everyone you know emboss your construction drawings? Meaning, you have to hand-press the embosser, sign it, and either mail or hand deliver paper drawings to your client? That's a lot of money spent on paper and postage/gas.

Big difference between the concept of "rubber stamping" and the physical act of using a wooden stamp with rubber seal to sign drawings.
Totally agree using a actual rubber stamp doesn't immediately make someone a rubber stamper. However, the stigma is still there because those that have perpetuated it.

So you're telling me you and everyone you know emboss your construction drawings. Meaning, you have to hand-press the embosser, sign it, and either mail or hand deliver paper drawings to your client? That's a lot of money spent on paper and postage/gas.
Yes. Up until COVID, everywhere we worked the permitting departments required signed and sealed paper drawings. During/after COVID, most permitting departments finally switched to accepting electronically signed plans (even though the state requirements had already allowed electronic/digital for years). However, a single document containing the digital signature(s) of the electronically signed documents must still be physically signed/sealed/dated and submitted (For certain permitting departments, obviously. Some switched over to accepting digital signatures on the documents).

So for the record, my seals are rubber and I did make myself digital versions, that I have password protected on my computer. I also digitally sign and seal my projects, which is also password protected. There is literally no way for my stamp to be used to "rubber stamp" anything, as I (and my company) take the use of seals very seriously. So much so, that when I was on vacation, I brought my work computer with me so I could sign/seal some drawings that had to go out.

In the digital age, inked stamps are the way to go.

Back