PE Seal & Stamp

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostboi

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently received my California PE number and I have a few questions moving forward, specifically in regards to PE seal & stamp:

1. I have a long legal name (thanks to my parents!), and I'd like to only show my first name and last name on the PE seal. Is this legal?
    • My name is too long that some med prescription labels and government entities cut letters off my second name. What's the maximum number of characters/letters to be shown on the PE seal?
  2. This question is more of a general question: My signature on all my government IDs (ie. passport, driver's license, mortgage, etc...) is basically my entire legal name in cursive (because I had to sign my passport at such a young age). How do I go about changing my signature that can fit on the construction plans? Or should I have my signature in 2 lines 🤣? If I need to change completely change my signature that affects my legal IDs, I'm all ears.
Thank you!

1. I've always heard the name on your seal needs to match the name registered with the state. You should research this. Someone else on here might know more about Cali requirements.
  2. IDK if California has some weird rules, but most places dgaf about your signature. My signature over the years has changed multiple times. Your signature does not have to match your passport or ID/DL. The signature on my passport is different from the one on my DL which is different from the one I use currently. I literally just closed on a house two weeks ago and I asked the closing agent if they cared about my signature and they said no. I essentially sign the first letter of my first name followed by some scribbles, then first letter of my last name.
  3. Get the bear seal (y)

Hello,

I recently received my California PE number and I have a few questions moving forward, specifically in regards to PE seal & stamp:

1. I have a long legal name (thanks to my parents!), and I'd like to only show my first name and last name on the PE seal. Is this legal?
    • My name is too long that some med prescription labels and government entities cut letters off my second name. What's the maximum number of characters/letters to be shown on the PE seal?
  2. This question is more of a general question: My signature on all my government IDs (ie. passport, driver's license, mortgage, etc...) is basically my entire legal name in cursive (because I had to sign my passport at such a young age). How do I go about changing my signature that can fit on the construction plans? Or should I have my signature in 2 lines 🤣? If I need to change completely change my signature that affects my legal IDs, I'm all ears.
Thank you!
1. The licensing board in your state should have a guide which states how your name may appear on the seal. For example, in TN, I applied using my first, middle, and last name, but my seal only shows my middle initial. Some people choose to show their full name, others first and last name only, yet others show their first name, middle initial, and last name (as I do).

2. Your state should also have a guide regarding your signature. Below is an image and example of a properly signed and dated seal from the "Architects and Engineers Reference Manual" from the state of TN. I've seen some people modify their signature (using first initial plus last name, for example) to make it shorter and therefore, not take too much space.

1635786884636.png

Hello,

Thank you!
Every state has their own requirements, unually in some form of local CFR. See below from what I found on a quick google search. https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/laws/boardrules.pdf

1635791585750.png

So you might be able to sign like an author (J.R.R. Tolkien, etc.) and get your stamp as such. It seems the surname is the most important part in CA. Usually the company that provides the seals will be able to tell you what the maximum is. They can probably adjust the font, width, spacing, etc. to make anything fit.

Also like @Orchid PE said, GET THE BEAR SEAL!!!

1635791680313.png

I wish our seal was cooler looking. I think it's boring.

1635868013125.png
Here is the official TN state seal. It has changed over the years, but currently it looks like this. The top features a plow, sheath of wheat, and cotton plant, which were important features of agriculture in the state's history. At the bottom is a small ship, which used to be a boat with a boat man, but they got rid of the boat man and replaced the boat with a ship. Still looks like a boat to me though. Also, I've never figured out what the small doghouse looking building is next to the plow. It's never in any descriptions or narratives I can find about the seal.

I think our seal should be replaced with the state dog, the blue tick hound,

1635868228361.png

Or Davy Crockett. Either one would be make the seal cooler looking.

1635868274516.png

Partly why I went for NY state license over NJ. Also the fact that it's easier for comity license from NY instead of to NY. And work in NY anway. So like 10% of my decison was based on the seal.

1635872187148.png

Out of all of mine, TN is the best looking and I like the design. Alaska and pretty sweet; might need to get licensed there just for the seal.

FL.jpg
TN.jpg
SC.jpg
NC-North-Carolina-Engineer-Model-1.jpg

Out of all of mine, TN is the best looking and I like the design. Alaska and pretty sweet; might need to get licensed there just for the seal.

FL.jpg
TN.jpg
SC.jpg
NC-North-Carolina-Engineer-Model-1.jpg
For some reason I assumed most state engineering seals had some kind of design, similar or matching the official state seal logo. For example, I worked in NC for over 10 years and it completely escaped me that they leave the female figures of "Liberty" and "Plenty" off the engineer version of the seal.

1635885113775.png

For some reason I assumed most state engineering seals had some kind of design, similar or matching the official state seal logo. For example, I worked in NC for over 10 years and it completely escaped me that they leave the female figures of "Liberty" and "Plenty" off the engineer version of the seal.

View attachment 23889
Hey Liberty. Hi Plenty...
giphy.gif

Back