PE passers by age.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Failed at 56, first try.  Engineering is a second career for me.   FE exam wasn't a problem, but this time too many life distractions.  I studied a ton, but sometimes life throws curve balls, e.g. my mother passed and our family moved within 3 months leading up to the test.  Will try again in Fall.  At first I didn't care for this post about age - but now that I've read more of the posts, I think it's become a source of encouragement!  Life goes on and passing this test doesn't define who you are.  You define who you are!

Passed at 33. Three kids (5, 3, 1yo) and a pregnant wife. She forced me to study whenever I wanted to take a break. Failing the PE was not an option after I had failed the SE twice. Total study time for both tests was about 900 hours over three years, but the SE time really prepared me for the PE Civil-Structual.

Since this thread doesn't necessarily relate directly to 'results', can I move it to Anything about the PE Exam, or perhaps After you Pass?  Or is this thread intended to survey April '17 passers only, for some reason?  

NCEES reported some PE statistics not too long ago.  If I remember correctly, I think 35 was the mean passing age.  

By the way, I was 37.    

Hi All,

I'm taking the PE Environmental Exam in 12 days and I'm getting really nervous. The air portion is starting to concern. Not so much the controls portion but the thermo/combustion part. 

Any advice?

Thank you!

@simmo156, I'm not an environmental person, but my advice is to relax if possible, and be confident! Confidence is key. If you have prepared enough, you will pass this exam. And how much preparation is necessary? It's different for everyone.

Trust me, I had to take it three times before I finally got there. I know you can do it!

Hi All,

I'm taking the PE Environmental Exam in 12 days and I'm getting really nervous. The air portion is starting to concern. Not so much the controls portion but the thermo/combustion part. 

Any advice?

Thank you!
Agree w/leggo! 

And I don't remember there being a lot of questions on thermo/combustion, but to be honest the whole thing is a blur to me now (and it's only been 6 months).  Have you tried the NCEES practice exam questions on the topic?  I don't know if it's always this way, but the actual exam was easier than the practice exam.  So hopefully if those practice exam problems are giving you trouble, you'll only run into simplified versions of those on the test.  Good luck!

Thank you everyone. My confidence is increasing. Haven't had too many troubles with the NCEES practice exam. I've made it through the Lindeburg practice exam problems. They weren't too bad. I've been studying for almost 4.5 months. Studying with 1 and 4 year old daughters is slightly challenging. Oh well, the ball is rolling down the hill and the exam is this Friday coming up. Any other tips/advice/comments are welcome.

Thanks again!

Older than most reporting here.  Know some older than me who have passed PE and were much more up on math.  I sit next week.  Had to take the FE twice - well it was the EIT then.  First time passed in grad school without studying.  Then did nothing with it... my practice - jack of all trades master of -some - FE 20 years+ later last year, studied hard.  PE... have done all I can to prepare, I am not taking the discipline I initially did in undergrad, had to learn a lot of things new, so it will be what it will be!  Good luck to all!

Back