PE passers by age.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 hour ago, dimockman said: Passed at 49. Passed the EIT in 1993. Worked Construction/Project Management for many years (not under a PE) so it took me quite some time to qualify. Never give up. You can do this !!!
Thanks for your words of inspiration... I am 47 and today I found out I failed the PE Mechanical Systems & Design test for the 2nd time. Very discouraged but thinking I'll try it next year.... I need time to recoup.
How close were you? I am 43 and passed on the third attempt. I only did practice problems this last time. I am glad I did not take time off because then I would have to review everything again. You can do It!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Passed PE Mechanical Thermal Fluids at 50 on 1st try (April 2017).

Passed FE / EIT Mechanical at 46 on 1st try.

Finished masters degree in 1997.

You can pass these tests later on in your career like I did.  Just keep working problems until you are fast and accurate.

Passed at 42 on my first attempt, 19 years after taking the EIT/FE.  I must admit, I was intimidated by the exam for a long time and kept putting it off and then let other things take priority (like kids/family, work, getting my Patent Agent license, etc.).

EIT at 21, PE at 30 (first try) 

7.5 of my 9 years after the EIT were spent in grad school so I was used to studying/working all-day-every-day.

Had kids at 20 and 24 (Important to add this part! ;-)  ), EIT at 26 first try, Failed PE at 28, Failed PE at 29, Failed PE at 30 x2, Passed PE at 33!

My advice to those who failed is not to give up.  But also, learn from my half-tried attempts!  Decide when you want to take it and make sure you *actually* put the effort into it.  If you only half put the effort into it, you are wasting your time. 

1. Graduated at 24 with B.S. in Civil Engineering June 2013

2. Passed EIT/FE at 24 (3rd time with actual studying) April 2013

3. Passed the 8 hour PE transportation depth (First time!!, with testmasters) April 2017

4. Also went to Coachella weekend 1(4/13-4/15)  This was the weekend before the 8 hour! My friends/colleagues said this deserves to be mentioned. 

1. Graduated at 24 with B.S. in Civil Engineering June 2013

2. Passed EIT/FE at 24 (3rd time with actual studying) April 2013

3. Passed the 8 hour PE transportation depth (First time!!, with testmasters) April 2017

4. Also went to Coachella weekend 1(4/13-4/15)  This was the weekend before the 8 hour! My friends/colleagues said this deserves to be mentioned. 
Whoops. Forgot to mention that I'm 28.

Passed at 30, first try. Had a couple of kids between taking the test and getting my degree. Kids really do change study habits

Back