October 2020 Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passed Vertical first try 10/2019.

Failed Lateral :(  first try this year

Morning: 29/40 Afternoon: IR/A/IR/IR. 

I feel like I got so close tho...

Failed NY Building Lateral.  20 in AM and IR, A, A, IR in the PM. 

Last time I had 27 in AM and failed the PM. Now it looks like I was ok in PM but not the AM. 

Don't think I'll try again but I've said that before!

Failed NY Building Lateral.  20 in AM and IR, A, A, IR in the PM. 

Last time I had 27 in AM and failed the PM. Now it looks like I was ok in PM but not the AM. 

Don't think I'll try again but I've said that before!
Third time was the charm for me. You’re close! Don’t give up!

image.png

Well I finally gave in.

On the vertical I got 26/40 and A/A/IR/U

Sad part is I blocked the test so far out of my mind that I cant even remember what the wood problem was. I don't remember struggling with the wood problem either. Oh well. At least I got one of them out of the way. Can't wait to be done studying for this test.

Woooo, finally passed lateral!!! This was not my first attempt; I passed vertical a few years ago - so I am officially done.

I took the AEI course and began studying in January with the intent of taking the exam in April. Since the April exams were cancelled, I think having a few extra months to study really helped. I definitely recommend taking the AEI course. Their binder covers so much material and the professors are very invested in helping you learn. 

Good luck to everyone still trying! You will  eventually get there - keep at it!

914C6C53-7EF0-46F7-812F-0BFC6137A52C.jpeg

View attachment 20107

Well I finally gave in.

On the vertical I got 26/40 and A/A/IR/U

Sad part is I blocked the test so far out of my mind that I cant even remember what the wood problem was. I don't remember struggling with the wood problem either. Oh well. At least I got one of them out of the way. Can't wait to be done studying for this test.
At least you passed the lateral! I told myself if I only passed one I hoped it would be that one. Think of how much easier it will be to study for just the vertical instead of both. You'll crush it next time! 

Stressful and funny at the same time. Should have told your boss after, that the exam was super easy and you breezed through, just to see his reaction 😂. Now, in the scenario where you pass and your boss doesn't, it would be interesting to see how it plays at your workplace! :rotflmao:
Well, I passed! The ball is in his court now... maybe I'll follow-up with the final verdict to complete the story.

image.png

Congrats to all who learned they passed today!! I hope to join you in April.

And to those who didn't pass, please don't give up! Don't let either or both of these exams beat you. If you decide to go for it again in April, I'll be there (socially distanced) with you!

Congratulations to all those who passed, especially you crazy bastards who passed both parts in the same weekend...in the middle of a pandemic!

For those who haven't passed both parts of the exam yet, keep at it!  We need determined, hard-working, qualified people like you in this profession.  You'll be so dang proud of yourself once you get over that hill.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I also feel very fortunate to have passed both exams this cycle. 

I work in a fairly large office and have access to most courses out there from years past. Second go around, I ended up purchasing the AEI course. By and large I think AEI's course was the only one that was rigorous enough to prepare me for the exam. Major props to them. 

I failed both of them

I wonder if those of you who passed it are able to share what course did you take?

I did PPI and it doesn't seem adequate to pass it the exam

I failed both of them

I wonder if those of you who passed it are able to share what course did you take?

I did PPI and it doesn't seem adequate to pass it the exam
I've taken both the PPI and AEI lateral classes. Disclaimer: I took the PPI course back in 2016 (so it’s probably changed quite a bit since then), but at the time I definitely felt like it wasn’t enough to get me to a spot where I could pass the exam. I know someone who took the PPI class last year, and they felt the same way.

I took a few years off before attempting the lateral exam again, and decided to go with the AEI course this time. It’s a lot of class time, but the lectures are really in depth and cover everything from the basics to the nitty gritty. I used their binder more than I used any other reference during the exam, it’s that thorough. They give you tons of multiple choice questions, mock morning style question quizzes, and in depth afternoon problems to solve; then you end the course with a practice exam. I liked that I could still use the PPI materials for extra practice on your own time, since you really just want to solve as many practice problems as possible. 

It definitely gets easier when you just have one exam to study for - you might want to consider tackling one section at a time. And if you get in a rut like I felt I was in, take some time off to get more work experience and then tackle the exam with fresh eyes. This was my fourth time taking the lateral exam, so keep trying!

Fortunately PASSED. Construction Depth. California. I don't know how happy I am. I am on the clouds. Time to rest & relax.

I was very disappointed in the PPI course this year.  With all the slide errors and publication issues, I feel it was worse than when I took the course in 2016, which also had slide errors.  DO NOT RECOMMEND PPI REVIEW COURSE.

I did not pass the lateral this go around.  I will self-study or enroll in the AEI course.

Back