October 2020 Results Map

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I saw it. As @RBHeadge PE that is incorrect or outdated info. That's just not how the PE exam works. I don't even think NCEES gives the raw scores to the states (except for TX). They just tell them pass or fail.
I'm not even sure Texas gets that much. It seems likely that NCEES sends Texas the adjusted scores.

I'm updating the near final map now. With only one State left, I feel like I can spend some time working the finer points.

Very sorry to bring that subject but is there any, and again I am very very sorry to bring that out it is just an interrogation. Is there any minority out there that feels like they need to get way much higher score than non minorities to get this exam? 
I mean you are in the office and regular dude that don’t even understand a moment diagram just pass their first try while you and your peers do it 10 times...

Is there a reason why we don’t see a score chart after we pass?? 
Is this reason linked to the fact that first takers get higher passing percentages??

Than repeaters (more prepared) that always fail more again and again...are they part of a group that need to prove more than others that they deserve to be PE??

If the NCEES wants to be clear about that isn’t better for them to have that score transparent for all of us??? What they always want to hide ???

Whom get offended again I am deeply sorry 

That’s was just some interrogations.
I understand how you feel. You brought up a lot of stuff in this post. I'll share my thoughts as best I can.

If you're asking is there grading discrimination, requiring us minorities to get a higher score than our white peers, no I don't believe that's a thing. I think the exams are scored equally for everyone. Now there is tons of documented implicit bias in all standardized testing. I'm not an expert in the subject, but it's been pretty thoroughly researched, so I'm sure you can find the data if you're interested. So if you're asking if minorities are at a disadvantage. The answer is probably yes.

Regarding why passers don't get to see scores and transparency. The exam was always intended to be a pass/fail exam. If I recall correctly no one used to get any scores. Later NCEES started giving diagnostic reports to those who fail to aid them in preparing to retake the exam. I'd love to know my score, but it is what it is I guess.

You asked about the pass rates for first time and repeat test takers. I think there's a lot of reasons for the pass rate, but I think much of it comes down to a combination of 2 things: "you either know it or you don't" and some people are better test takers than others. The data shows that most people either pass their first attempt or they have to take the test multiple times (i.e. more than 2). Most people don't pass their 2nd try. I don't say that to be discouraging; the statistics don't define you. If you didn't pass then you should attempt it again. 

We actually recently had a pretty good conversation about diversity in engineering on this site, but it focused more on hiring and advancement than testing. Feel free to check it out.

https://engineerboards.com/topic/35575-what-grade-do-you-give-the-engineering-community-for-diversity/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure you're joking, but just in case...

No not that. States don't set the passing score. It's set by NCEES and is the same for everyone. It varies by discipline and changes every year. But it's the same across all states.
Half joke half serious.  I didn't know that NJ actually published that on their website.  But irrespective, in my "research" for what is a "pass"  prior to sitting, it seemed like general consensus was around a 70% anyway.  Or at least, that puts you in a good position for a pass.

I set a goal to exceed that number for safety, BUT I also let that help me dictate which topics to really hammer down on vs. ones to just know enough to get by.  

Side note, I'm sure I'm not alone but has anyone ever figured out why NCEES doesn't provide diagnostic report for passing results as well?  I mean i get it.  You pass, who cares.  But I'm curious as to how I actually did.  I'd love to see that breakdown as well. I'd like to see I scraped by or passed "comfortably".

But I'm curious as to how I actually did.  I'd love to see that breakdown as well. I'd like to see I scraped by or passed "comfortably".
Why?

What would that change for you? What benefit is there to it? 

ETA: I'm sure it'd add more elitism to the field if those scores were published. 

Why?

What would that change for you? What benefit is there to it? 

ETA: I'm sure it'd add more elitism to the field if those scores were published. 
It would change absolutely nothing.  I'm just a curious person is all.  

And I can see the elitest argument, and I'd unfortunately have to agree.  I'm a humble person and like to think those around me feel the same way, but I could see where this would get out of hand.  

I'm an engineer and I need you to know just how smart I am! :rotflmao:

Im_An_Engineer_Im_Always_Right_shirt_tshirt_1024x1024.jpg

I just got off the phone with the Hawaii Board of Professional Engineers, Architects, Surveyors, and Landscape Architects. They said the results for the PE and SE will be released December 23rd. I'm assuming that means it will be posted on NCEES that morning. If you passed, you'll be notified by mail on December "who the hell knows" probably.

Got to love island time, on top of COVID teleworking.  

I understand how you feel. You brought up a lot of stuff in this post. I'll share my thoughts as best I can.

If you're asking is there grading discrimination, requiring us minorities to get a higher score than our white peers, no I don't believe that's a thing. I think the exams are scored equally for everyone. Now there is tons of documented implicit bias in all standardized testing. I'm not an expert in the subject, but it's been pretty thoroughly documented and researched, so I'm sure you can find the data if you're interested. So if you're asking if minorities are at a disadvantage. The answer is probably yes.

Regarding why passers don't get to see scores and transparency. The exam was also intended to be a pass/fail exam. If I recall correctly no one used to get any scores. Later NCEES started giving diagnostic reports to those who fail to aid them in preparing to retake the exam.

You asked about the pass rates for first time and repeat test takers. I'd love to know my score, but it is what it is I guess. I think there's a lot of reason for the pass rate, but I think much of it comes down to a combination of 2 things: "you either know it or you dont" and some people are better test takers than others. The data shows that most people either pass their first attempt or they have to take the test multiple times (i.e. more than 2). Most people don't pass their 2nd try. I don't say that to be discouraging; the statistics don't define you. If you didn't pass then you should attempt it again. 

We actually recently had a pretty good conversation about diversity in engineering on this site, but it focused more on hiring and advancement than testing. Feel free to check it out.

https://engineerboards.com/topic/35575-what-grade-do-you-give-the-engineering-community-for-diversity/
Good Answer

I usually do not think like that way but sometimes you have to be in people shoes to understand. You mentioned “you either know it or you dont know it”. I truly humbly think I don’t have a problem knowing my subject or the ones I saw around me passing their exam knowing way better than I do.

Now when my scenario becomes the scenario of people who share the same ethnicity than me...the question involuntarily rose.

But yeah, I guess the exam is made in a way of thinking that some people I use to explain the materials can be more comfortable getting it than myself.

Anyways, I still want to hear if some minorities have those feelings as well.

All I can say, is, as a multi-time test taker, I do not give one flying frick about what my passing score was.

And old boss of mine passed the S.E. when they still released scores (when the S.E. I'm talking about was the CA-specific former version of the exam). I took the exam with two friends. They all passed, but he and one of the two friends got significantly higher scores than the third person, who barely got by what the passing score was. I don't think anyone would really want to know that... Or if they think they do, they should be happy enough with a pass! Trust me, as someone who failed the P.E. exam twice, you don't want to know your passing score!

Back